PDA

View Full Version : Tournagrip too short

damasta55
04-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Is it me or does tournagrip never have enough to cover the entire handle? When i use wilson pro, i have more than enough? BAsically that's the reason why i stopped using tourna. Could it be i was overlapping it too much? Has anyone else encountered this?

SFrazeur
04-02-2006, 03:43 PM
Regular Tournagrips are too short for modern handels, but Unique does make

Tournagrips in XL and I believe I saw XXL Tournagrips in the Unique catalog.

d_frank
04-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Tournagrips also wear out too fast for my liking. I cant stand switching them every couple hours' worth of play. I also use wilson pro overgrip, even if they do get dirty because of their color; imo they feel the best, and look good too lol

tonyjh63
04-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Yes, I've encountered that same problem. Unique should go ahead and resize their Tournagrip, since most newer racquets have longer handles on them.

nViATi
04-02-2006, 07:10 PM
Wrap the tournagrip with less overlap and slightly stretch it.

imadeulook
04-02-2006, 07:16 PM
buy tournagrip xl. they should have it where u get ur tournagrip.:mrgreen:

slice bh compliment
04-02-2006, 07:21 PM
Unless you use a racquet with a reeeeally long handle, and/or a size 5 or 6 -- you are probably overlapping too much. If that is the feel you like, get the XL.

Better yet, switch to Yonex supergrap or Wilson Pro Overgrip. They feel better, last longer and fit my size 6s with over three inches to spare.

goober
04-02-2006, 07:25 PM
I have given up on tournagrip. I have tried lots of different overgrips and it is by far the shortest. You have to really stretch it and have minimal overlap. It also lasts the shortest. I suppose I could go to the XL version, but I with so many good alternatives which feel just as good and last much longer, I don't see why I should.

avdiscolo
04-03-2006, 05:13 AM
Is it me or does tournagrip never have enough to cover the entire handle? When i use wilson pro, i have more than enough? BAsically that's the reason why i stopped using tourna. Could it be i was overlapping it too much? Has anyone else encountered this?

I agree with you completely. With all racquets today having extended grip lengths, I can't imagine the standard Tournagrip length fitting more than 4 3/8" grip size. The other thing I don't like about Tournagrip is that it is not trimmed for the butt of the grip.

With the Wilson Pro reel priced less than the Tournagrip reel, the Wilson Pro is my choice.

javier sergio
04-03-2006, 05:16 AM
Try Yonex, it's a lot better and I believe cheaper

vinnier6
04-03-2006, 05:34 AM
i used tourna grip for 10 years and hated the fact that they were just too short, then the xl came out and its still too short...when the wilson pro overgrips came out i tried them and never went back...

chiru
04-03-2006, 09:24 AM
it depends on your handle, i can actually grip a ncode tour 90 handle completely with a tournagrip xl, and IMO the handle on the tour 90 is pretty long, the longest of any racket i've ever owned by far. i think pro over grip is probably longer, but you should decide based on what you like better. for me i use pro in the cold (better tack) in the cold and tournagrip (more absorbent for sweat) in the heat.

Caswell
04-06-2006, 07:51 AM
I overlap about a quarter of an inch, and pull with moderate tension while I wrap. I've never had a problem with 4 1/2 Dunlop handles from the first Revelation to the M-Fil 300.

SCSI
04-06-2006, 08:00 AM
Recommend going with the XL version or Yonex one, as others have suggested. It shouldn't be so much work to put an overgrip on, as is with the regular Tourna Grip.

cabernetjunkie
04-06-2006, 09:26 AM
If you use a 1 hbh it really should'nt matter if it covers the entire length of the handle. I think(just my opinion)that it looks pretty cool when you dont cover the entire handle and you can see a little bit of the leather underneath. I can see why a 2hbh person would not like it. So I think everyone should just switch to a 1hbh........ JUST JOKING!!!!

SGrosjeanFan
04-10-2006, 10:33 AM
I personally love tournagrip. The first time I got it, I found that I had to stretch it a little and use less overlapping. But now it works fine for me.