PDA

View Full Version : Luxilon ALU reel for cheap on ****. Is it a SCAM?

HT
06-23-2004, 10:02 AM
The person selling it has one feedback record. The feedback is for 1 pack of string at $1.50. He is selling not just one reel, but 13 reels by separate aution out of France. The profile showed he just became a member on June 5th, 04.

What do you think? Just he out to make a quick $$$ and disappear. A dilema between bidding for it and save or lose all my money. That's the question :?:

gmlasam
06-23-2004, 10:11 AM
The person selling it has one feedback record. The feedback is for 1 pack of string at $1.50. He is selling not just one reel, but 13 reels by separate aution out of France. The profile showed he just became a member on June 5th, 04.

What do you think? Just he out to make a quick $$$ and disappear. A dilema between bidding for it and save or lose all my money. That's the question :?:Rule of thumb regarding ****. Never ever bid on a person that does not have more than 50 feedbacks. The reason for this is because scammers often change their profile. Never ever bid if the person has 3 or more negatives, closely read the negative feedback(s). Try to bid on items that is located in your country. Also, make sure that person is paypal verified. If that seller accept credit cards, use a major credit card. Using a major credit card, such as citibank, american express, will protect you from fraud and can take legal actions againsts the scammers.

Finally, if it sounds to good to be true, then it maybe a scam.

Gaines Hillix
06-23-2004, 11:16 AM
Agreed, since this is being sold from a foreign country, you need to make sure they accept a major credit card or are PayPal verified. And, don't bid on it if it's not in the original factory packaging. It could be a cheap silver colored poly string in a generic plastic package.

borisboris
06-23-2004, 11:27 AM
You've obviously never ordered from ****. He lists it for under $2 then it's up to the market as to where the final price goes. It's not a rip off - it's actually a bargin if the shipping rate is low and the last bid is under $5. Learn what an auction is....... :evil:

Gaines Hillix
06-23-2004, 11:49 AM
borisboris, I've bought a lot of stuff on e-bay :-) A bargain is not a bargain if you don't get what you bid on and paid for! My precautions still stand. Caveat emptor!

borisboris
06-23-2004, 12:11 PM
:o Yeah Gaines I agree w/ your info - I got scammed selling a $400 phone via PayPal to Indonessia = not an insured country of PP - I learned the hard way after I shipped the goods and the &^$*( reversed the charges. The poster notes about the reels - they are all for $110 & over for 720'. The 1 SET of string is only beginning @ $1.50. How bad could a string be for under $4 ? Retail is pathetic for a SET without the stringing - I had to pay $8.50 for Prince Syn Gut 16 when my TW order was late.

PHSTennis
06-23-2004, 12:18 PM
Dont buy overseas... but I have bought something from Hawaii, just came today... and dont sell to international people... boris... no international! I actually got good deals... Under 50? I have 45 100% positive member since last year ... wont you buy from me? lol Verified Paypal too... lol ;) What a bummer... I ll have to find 5 more until gmlasam buys from me lol

HT
06-23-2004, 12:37 PM
Thanks for everyone input.
I've been communicating with this seller for the last few days.
I asked him to provide some pictures of his stock of ALU reels. And he followed through. So I went ahead and took the risk.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out. If I get SCAM! This will be a good lesson. If not, it'll still be a good lesson to learn from!

K!ck5w3rvE
06-24-2004, 01:56 AM
yeah I agree with the Caveat Emptor thing too.

thatballwas_IN
06-24-2004, 08:43 AM
I agree that you should look for sellers with more than 50 feedback as I just learned the hard way.... got ripped off 250 bucks! Also make sure the seller offers Paypal Buyer protection!

It is so easy to rip people off on ****, that I could see many turning to it as a full-time gig!!
The person that scammed me had 3 other screennames that had been banned by **** already, now he has a 4th banned.
Now he has probably just created a new name and started scamming again.
**** should have better records on seller's as I think they should be partly liable for how easy it is to skrew peeple.

I took a chance on someone with little feedback to grab a bargain and learned my lesson the hard way! Now I will not buy much from **** unless it is local pickup or has paypal guarantee...

newracketagain??
06-17-2005, 05:55 AM
**** is hit or miss, about a month ago i brought a "brand new" LM instinct....

it came in the post and it was the 26 inch junior version.. and it had beenn used...

hahah

its hit or miss

TennsDog
06-17-2005, 10:06 AM
I don't now that I agree with more than 50. Even people with more than 50 and 100% positive had to start at zero some time. That's why the **** commercials say they started out with a basic assumption that people are good, both buyers and sellers. Nothing in life comes without risk. Even a good seller can have item lost in shipping.

Richie Rich
06-17-2005, 10:10 AM
**** is hit or miss, about a month ago i brought a "brand new" LM instinct....

it came in the post and it was the 26 inch junior version.. and it had beenn used...

hahah

its hit or miss

did you leave neg feedback so others are aware of this? or was the description not specific regarding length and you didn't ask?

Mike Cottrill
06-17-2005, 11:32 AM
Question: Everyone has to start at zero feedback. What can one do that is just starting to sell on e-bay to show they are not scamming and are respectable?

Mike

newracketagain??
06-17-2005, 11:42 AM
did you leave neg feedback so others are aware of this? or was the description not specific regarding length and you didn't ask?

it said "brand new lm instinct, the exact same racket as used by gasquet, grip 4 1/2 etc.. yeh i left negative feedback and emailed him with a million angry mails

Richie Rich
06-17-2005, 01:35 PM
it said "brand new lm instinct, the exact same racket as used by gasquet, grip 4 1/2 etc.. yeh i left negative feedback and emailed him with a million angry mails

way to go! hard to mistake a 26" junior frame for a full size 27" frame. sometimes you just run into scammers on e b a y.

jj300
06-18-2005, 06:37 AM
since im a seller on **** and many of my friends are, I have to jump on this thread. The 50 feedback rule is, sorry to say, Ridiculous. Do you know that you can go online right now and for about $20 bucks buy a brand new screen name with about 200 positive feedbacks and 99.9% rate of getting them? I currently have 23 feedbacks all of which have been nothing but positive and the reason I don't have more is because I don't have stuff to sell so how would I get the feedbacks. The safest way is to read thru the feedback, check the past auctions (i.e. if you click on the auction that a feedback was provided for within 30 days and the page is no longer there, chances are the person is trying to scam you with fake feedbacks, that as I mentioned before can be purchased) Another thing so to e-mail the seller and ask for a contact phone number. And last tip is ask as many questions as you can think off, a fake seller will get annoyed, a person who is really trying to sell his stuff will respond to each and everyone of them. good luck

Gaines Hillix
06-18-2005, 08:30 AM
Thanks for everyone input.
I've been communicating with this seller for the last few days.
I asked him to provide some pictures of his stock of ALU reels. And he followed through. So I went ahead and took the risk.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out. If I get SCAM! This will be a good lesson. If not, it'll still be a good lesson to learn from!

HT, did you get your string?

TennsDog
06-18-2005, 10:55 AM
Another tip similar to jj300: ask for precise pictures of the item that they cannot get unless they actually have the item in hand.

rmiller774
06-18-2005, 11:35 AM
Luxilon may be the product allegedly used as a potential scam as mentioned in this thread but actually it is a joke. Who would knowingly buy and put in his racquet a carpet fiber? That is what Luxilon is. It is a fad, a flash-in-the-pan type of gimmick that we are too quick to embrace. It is so limiting as a tennis string that many players cannot use it as both mains and cross strings - they have to use it for the main strings only. It's something akin to the expensive and extremely light racquets that are pushed at us. To use them to advantage one must add lead tape to the racquet to overcome the lack of weight. If Luxilon cost $2 a set no one would use it. We need to use our own common sense and judgment to avoid such gimmicks. R. Miller

Michael Ludwig
06-18-2005, 12:16 PM
Ok, so Luxilon is a carpet fibre. Maybe so. Then Babolat VS is simply old nasty cow parts. Who would want to put a cow in their racquet? Sounds pretty stupid to me too!

I highly doubt Luxilon is just a simple fad that will fade away anytime soon. With its popularity on the ATP and WTA, I see it sticking around for quite some time.... Like it or not, its popular, and its not going anywhere.

thejackal
06-18-2005, 03:01 PM
It is so limiting as a tennis string that many players cannot use it as both mains and cross strings - they have to use it for the main strings only.

Hybriding is not just a fad either. It's highly useful to bring out the best out of 2 different string materials while minimizing their limitations. It can be very easy on the wallet too.