PDA

View Full Version : LM Radical or Prestige?

Jim_Courier's_Fluffy_Hair
04-03-2006, 06:11 AM
I'm thinking about getting a LM flavour racket. Either the Radical or Prestige, as they are of similar price from were I'm going to buy from.

The problem is I'm probably a 3.0 rating and don't want get a difficult racket to use. I like to stay at the baseline mostly and try to win my points with big top spin shots at the service line. Don't mind coming into the net and I like to swing fast, with a medium length swing style.

Which one should I get?

BluDiamond
04-03-2006, 06:17 AM
Prestige Flexpoint would have more control

04-03-2006, 06:23 AM
The flexipoint is a bit out of my price range. Plus, I've read about people getting TE with them.

highsierra
04-03-2006, 06:30 AM
I'd start with the Rad, which has a bit more pop. One thing to keep in mind is if you're really into top spin (who wouldn't from baseline?), neither is ideal because of the dense string patterns. I know many here will pound their chests and say rackets don't generate spin, players do.

Bother are expensive rackets so you might want to demo first to make sure.

04-03-2006, 07:32 AM
I can't demo them as my local dealer says the LM Radical is discontinued (tried to get me one but couldn't) and I don't think they sell the Prestige so I'll be buying off the internet.

bee
04-03-2006, 09:35 AM
I'm a big fan of the Prestige LM Mid. Strung with 17g natural gut it is the best serving racquet I've ever used. I think it could help your serve. Don't forget this: if you develop a really wicked serve that wins you 2 or 3 points on every service game, you only have to break your opponent once to win the set.

It's a good racquet for everything else as well. Is a little bit heavy but if you're pretty strong I wouldn't worry about that. Very flexible and easy on the arm.

Haven't played with the Radical, so I guess I'm not answering your question. Good luck with the one you choose.

jackson vile
04-03-2006, 10:46 AM
I'm a big fan of the Prestige LM Mid. Strung with 17g natural gut it is the best serving racquet I've ever used. I think it could help your serve. Don't forget this: if you develop a really wicked serve that wins you 2 or 3 points on every service game, you only have to break your opponent once to win the set.

It's a good racquet for everything else as well. Is a little bit heavy but if you're pretty strong I wouldn't worry about that. Very flexible and easy on the arm.

Haven't played with the Radical, so I guess I'm not answering your question. Good luck with the one you choose.

You're serious? he is a 3.0 at best and you want him to use the LMP mid?

LMP are very touchy/picky about stringing.

I would say either LM Radical OS http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCHEAD-LMRAD.html

or LM Instinct (non-xl) http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCHEAD-HINST.html

Personally I would lean more twoards the Instinct, both are very very resaonably priced and good rackets.

I would however make sure that you have an extrememly good racket string such as TW string this for you.

These rackets have a soft/flexy hoop that will deform very easily if strung too tight, mains strung to tight, fixed in stringer wrong, ect they will squash.

So for stringing I would recomend SPPP 17L for the mains 54-50lbs and NXT OS for the crosses at 60-56lbs. For best results.

bee
04-03-2006, 12:06 PM
Hmm. You're probably right. I'm no expert on advising people about racquets. Just saying what's worked for me. But...I think this guys going to improve really fast.

jackson vile
04-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Hmm. You're probably right. I'm no expert on advising people about racquets. Just saying what's worked for me. But...I think this guys going to improve really fast.

I bet your right, it's just that in the original post he asked for something easy to play with.

Many people say the LMP MP is hard to play with and the LMPmid has a swing weight of 240 and a 90sqin head.

musicc
04-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Seriously get yourself something with mid plus and a light weight... start out learning the swings and master it before using a heavy racquet like prestige.

moosryan
04-03-2006, 04:20 PM
If you're a 3.0, don't even bother picking up a prestige. A radical would be a much better choice....not to be an ***, but a lot of guys on here use racquets that are a bit "Advanced" for their game and also a lot of great players who are good enough to be using those racquets, and they try to push them on people that aren't quite ready for them. I can tell you I'm a 4.5/5.0 and I'm still happily using my LM Radicals. A Prestige will be far too much for you to weild...a great frame when your game eventually gets to the level where you can handle it, but for now, keep improving with something like a Radical. If price is an issue, you might look into the Ti Radical, imo an amazing racquet, but it's not sold at TW anymore.

Zeph
04-03-2006, 06:07 PM
One thing to keep in mind is if you're really into top spin (who wouldn't from baseline?), neither is ideal because of the dense string patterns.

Completely incorrect, anyone who has picked up a LM radical knows that it can generate tons of spin, possibly more than some 16x19s.

As earlier stated, at a 3.0 level, a prestiege mid should not even be on your radar, the midplus would be a better choice but still is not a good one. The instinct should probably be your best bet.

astra
04-03-2006, 10:59 PM
Good advice. Do not go for LM Prestige (even if it is a really good stick, I have it as well), you need to be at least 4.0 to play with.

04-03-2006, 11:36 PM
Cheers all for your kind advice. I almost bought a Prestige last week off **** for a stupidly low price but I was outbid. Glad I didn't win it now. Looks like its the Radical for for me then.

Regards.

vinky
04-03-2006, 11:57 PM
noone brought this up, but stringing up prestiges, I've heard, is significantly more stressful than radicals. If you are stringing your own racquets, or want to remain friends with your stringer... LM rad is a better choice (although it is a 18x20 string pattern as well)

astra
04-04-2006, 12:28 AM
Vinky: I disagree in this point. I made stringing myself in Wilson PSC 6.1 and HPS 5.0 for 10 years. When bought a LMP+ 3 weeks ago, I studied holes a little bit and made it as easy (tough) as in the Wilsons. Only thing you have to keep in mind is a longer string (due to 18x20), I need approx. 11.5 m now compared to 10.5 m in the Wilsons.

joe1987
04-04-2006, 03:40 AM
Radical OS!!
3.0 never get a prestige. Get your strokes right first before using it.

milo
04-04-2006, 05:39 AM
pick radical. if your last racket was an oversize racket then go with the lm radical os

Tezuka Kunimitsu
04-04-2006, 07:46 AM
I would recommend the Head Flexpoint Instinct. With all the racquets I have been demoing, includes about 9, I have pretty much decided on the flexpoint instinct. Has good pop and control and I blieve it would pretty much improve my game.
Racquets I have demoed in the pass 3 months.

Babolat Pure Drive
Babolat AeroPro Drive Plus
Babolat Aero Pro Control
Babolat Pure Control Team
Head Flexpoint Radical OS(They did not have 98 :( ) (after this got pain in my forearm/elbow, may have came from the drastic change in racquets since my orginal racquet only weighted around 9.2.)
Head Flexpoint Prestige mp
Head Flexpoint Lm Prestige MP
Wilson nSix-One 95 16X18
Wilson nSix-One Tour 90
Head Flexpoint Instinct

After trying most popular racquets at my store, I decided that I should try a racquet more from my lvl and not what is common on the pro tour..So I did and love it.