PDA

View Full Version : Swingweight, Head Light And My Injury Prone Shoulder

A-Train
04-03-2006, 07:55 AM
My problem: I WANT TO MAKE MY RACQUET MORE SHOULDER FRIENDLY.

I have read the sticky on swingweight and itís very interesting. Iím using a Wilson 3.6 (sw 338, weight 9.3, head heavy - not sure by how much).
I demoed some shoulder friendly racquets that were recommended on this board (thank you, btw) but, I didnít find something that I like..so far.
And, I really love my current racquet but, the problem is, it seems like my shoulder doesnít.

So, for now I am thinking of doing something with what I have. Based on your recommendations, I should have a lower swingweight and a heavier racquet.
Will I be able to accomplish that by adding weights to my current stick? I know it may not be the same as buying a new one but, I really love this racquet and Iíd like to do something about it. How will I distribute the weights and by how much?

Thank you.

ericsson
04-03-2006, 08:09 AM
i currently play with volkl tour 10 gen. 1 which is very good for shoulder due to the dampened feel, i play with that racket for couple years now, never problems, then i started to put lead on it, not so much and then the problems began, now swollen tendon in shoulder, i cant serve nor smash. doc said i have to rest now. i don't know for sure it was the lead but one thing is clear, the lead increased the swingweight so heavier on my shoulder...

oldguysrule
04-03-2006, 08:21 AM
You have two options for what to do with your current racquet. Option 1 = Using your left arm (assuming you are right handed) so that you don't hurt your shoulder any more, throw the racquet as far as possible into the biggest lake you can find. Option 2 = If you are attached to the racquet, cut the strings out and hang it on your wall....but never, never, restring it.

Seriously, though, adding weight to this racquet will just increase the SW and further harm your shoulder. Do not play anymore tennis until you get a racquet that will be better for your long term health.

loubapache
04-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Pls listen to him, because oldguys rule.

J D
04-03-2006, 09:25 AM
....the last couple of years i have become injury prone. Wrist problem, tennis elbow and now shoulder injury. Although those are only minor injuries, i want to use the best forgiving racquet for my type of game.

I want to replace my wilson 3.6 with rollers which is a head heavy power racquet (stiffness 74, weight 9.3). I am comfortable with this racquet.
I have a medium swing, all around game.
A-Train, I copied this from your other post. Oldguysrule is most likely right in that adding weight will PROBABLY may your shoulder worse rather than better. If the problem is related to stress from mass or overuse (the most likely causes), it definitely will. If your shoulder problems stem from improper form and/or stress from your swing being too quick, adding weight could possibly help. Of course, your problems could always be disease of the joint (busitis or arthritis), which is a whole different matter. In other words, there is no one cure-all for shoulder problems because there are many types of problems and many causes.

The best bet is to figure out the nature and cause of your shoulder problems before doing anything. There's a small possibility, depending on the nature of your injury, that rest and even possibly surgery are the only things that will ever get it healed.

If you still want to try racquets first, you have a bit of a quandry in that you have problems in all three areas of your arm. Some specs that are good for one problem may aggravate another. Going middle of the road in weight and swingweight (around 11 ounces with a swing weight of 310-325) would be your safest bet to avoiding any further problems. Just make sure to get a more flexible frame (65 or less would good, 62 or less even better) and don't string too tight.

You really need to demo for two reasons. First, because frame specs and arm safety isn't an exact science yet. Even a frame with "safe" specs can give some people problems. Second, because a heavier, more flexible frame is going to be a big adjustment and you need to find something that fits your game.

DaVoice
04-09-2006, 07:22 PM
If you still want to try racquets first, you have a bit of a quandry in that you have problems in all three areas of your arm. Some specs that are good for one problem may aggravate another. Going middle of the road in weight and swingweight (around 11 ounces with a swing weight of 310-325) would be your safest bet to avoiding any further problems. Just make sure to get a more flexible frame (65 or less would good, 62 or less even better) and don't string too tight.

You really need to demo for two reasons. First, because frame specs and arm safety isn't an exact science yet. Even a frame with "safe" specs can give some people problems. Second, because a heavier, more flexible frame is going to be a big adjustment and you need to find something that fits your game.

From the racquets that i have demoed i like the O3 red.
It will be like 10.6 oz strung. SW 312.. Flex 68.
i only played for 3 hours nad myh elbow and shoulder feel fine. i wouldn't know how it will affect me in the long run.

My old racquet was 9.3 oz and 74 flex.

Does anyone have anythought about an O3 not going to make my injuries worst?

slewisoh
04-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Da Voice do a search on the 03 red. I seem to recall several threads where users developed TE with this racquet. If you already have issues, probably not the best choice.

Tof
04-10-2006, 11:54 PM
Hi companion of shoulder injuries.

I experience the same shoulder problems.

My first reco, is don't be ridiculous. Sorry to say that but there are plenty of wonderful raquets out there that will be at the same time better for your shoulder and better for your game.

I also switched to a wilson ntour (which is too head heavy and too light + lead) and problems occured. I loved this stick but I can tell you, now that I have tested new sticks, you forget quickly and get used to other fellings. You just have to leave your racquet and not come back to it after each session....

Believe me, your health and pleasure to play tennis is more important than your current racquet.

I synthetized that the racquet should be stiff < 65, weight >320 g, swingweight on the low side <330, avoid extra long body, avoid poly and better with multi / gut, avoid high tension and be careful with the grip size (i think too bug damages elbow and too small the shoulder).

I have personnally stooped playing 1 1/2 month. Still hurting a bit and now play back avoiding to serve. Used a little of ice and restrengthening with low weights (rotator cuf exercices) and rubber bands (scapula exercises).
I am visiting my physiotherapist 3 / week. I have also discovered a soft pain relief technique called theTrigger points (I read that on the chat ttw dedicated to health). Seems to work well, very surprising, should try it.

OK. So. Rest, cure seriously and give a serious look at your new racquet. So much fun going for new and better stuff. FORGET YOUR CURRENT RACQUET. Forget it!!!!!