PDA

View Full Version : Hey Vin. Good bye to the DNX 8 allready?

A_Instead
04-03-2006, 08:59 AM
Vin,
I see you are moving on with your DNX 8.
You talked the DNX 8 up pretty well. I valued your viewpoints.
I have a Pure Storm on the way and still want to try the DNX 8.
How did these two compare during your demos?

I see that Two Fister also hit with the Pure Storm and the DNX 8 and didn't like either of them.

Two Fister
04-03-2006, 09:14 AM
I see that Two Fister also hit with the Pure Storm and the DNX 8 and didn't like either of them.

I didn't like the DNX8. But I did like the Purestorm. Bought a purestorm for the "extended demo." Jury is still out on the purestorm, but I'm leaning towards my DNX 10's. Of course that is this week. Next week....?

vin
04-03-2006, 01:31 PM
The swingweight of the Pure Storm is too much for me. As I mentioned in the other thread, I couldn't get past the stiff feel of the DNX 8. Although Volkl manages to make really stiff frames comfortable, I can still tell they are stiff and after spending more than a month with that feel, I am certain that I don't like it. While vibration dampening makes a hit more comfy and safe, it can't substitute for the feel of flex!

I don't think I've hit enough with the Pure Storm to give you much of an opinion. Once I determine the swingweight is too much, I usually put it down and don't bother with it much after that.

I still think that the DNX 8 is a great frame, and if you're used to a stiff feel, chances are good that you'll like it.

Recently I've been playing with the Yonex RDS 003 and it's a better frame across the board for me than the DNX 8 except for maybe serving and that's only by a slim margin.

oldguysrule
04-03-2006, 06:44 PM
I must have missed the thread where you said you quit using the dnx8. I thought you were going to try it with gut. So what will you be trying now?

vin
04-04-2006, 04:03 AM
oldguysrule,

I posted in the gut thread on the stringing board where we were talking that the gut didn't work out. I tried a full job of Babolat Tonic and still wasn't happy.

I've been playing with the Yonex RDS 003 and am happier so far. I like the feel enough where string is not a big deal and I can go back to my favorite cheap and durable Wilson Synthetic Gut Extreme.

bluegrasser
04-04-2006, 04:28 AM
Vin
Have you tried the 300 mfil, a flexy soft frame that has a low swingweight.

vin
04-04-2006, 04:36 AM
bluegrasser,

I tried it a while ago, but don't think I gave it a fair chance. Thanks for the suggestion, maybe I'll give it another try.

tennisphotog
04-04-2006, 05:10 AM
Vin, I am also sampling the Pure Storm, the jury is still out. I have a DNX8 coming later this week, so reading this was interesting. I also have Volkl V-1 DNX, very sweet feel, but a bit too powerful. May I ask what level/gamestyle you play?? I also tried the M-fil 300 but found it a bit hollow feeling. FYI, I am a 4.5 in my 40's, all court player who gave up "players" racquets recently and have been searching for a suitable replacement.

vin
04-04-2006, 05:33 AM
May I ask what level/gamestyle you play??

Well, I am confident in saying that I am a 4.0 player, but the USTA computer disagrees ... for now.

I like to play all court but rely mostly on serves and groundstrokes and tend to hit a lot of topspin.

Good luck with the DNX 8!

oldguysrule
04-04-2006, 06:46 AM
oldguysrule,

I posted in the gut thread on the stringing board where we were talking that the gut didn't work out. I tried a full job of Babolat Tonic and still wasn't happy.

I've been playing with the Yonex RDS 003 and am happier so far. I like the feel enough where string is not a big deal and I can go back to my favorite cheap and durable Wilson Synthetic Gut Extreme.

Saw it last night. Sorry the dnx 8 didn't work out. Good luck with the Yonex.