PDA

View Full Version : Pro Staff tour 90 arm problems

bee65n
03-01-2004, 04:49 PM
I got tennis elbow using a ihead radical strung at 62lbs w/ Lux BB alu. So, taking the advice from people on this board, I got a heavier racket- a prostaff tour 90. When I demoed the tour90, I really liked the racket, and it seemed like it was helping alot with my game, but I didn't seemed to have enough power with this one...So when I bought the frame, I strung it at 52lbs w/ Lux BB alu. Afterwards, I added 6grams of lead tape to the 3&9 positions, and my tennis elbow got cured. However, after about a month, I added 6grams more to the 3&9 positions, and it seems that I got tennis elbow again. I love the feeling 12grams of the lead tape gives to the racket: I really prefer it to the 6grams of lead tape. However, I do not want tennis elbow....should I sacrifice the feeling for health? or is there a way to customize my racket somehow to heal my elbow? I really thought that adding 12grams of lead to the head would pose no problem considering this is a heavy, headlight frame strung at a low tension...but I guess I was wrong

tenipri
03-01-2004, 04:59 PM
http://www.racquetresearch.com/

Anonymous
03-01-2004, 05:03 PM
Two things:

Yes, it is a head-light racket STOCK, but not so much when you add almost half an ounce to the head. You need to counterweight by placing some mass into/on the handle. It sounds like you exceeded your own personal balance threshold! I currently have 6g at the sides and 3g in the throat and it does not hinder my arm health. Much more than that and I can see how it might.

Going to a softer string would also help a lot. After a while polyester breaks down graphite around the grommet holes; imagine what it does to your elbow if you are not careful. Besides, it is a string that is used to temper the frame's power. You said the frame was underpowered to you, so why do you use polyester--the most underpowered string? You are a perfect candidate for natural gut..

bee65n
03-01-2004, 05:24 PM
I just listened to a friend who said that the Lux BB alu never moved, was very durable, and had a good feel to it. I like the feeling as well, but if the string is what might be aiding in damaging my arms, I am willing to change it. However, do you have any other suggestions for strings? I am a student w/out a job, and natural guts are very expensive...and I've heard that they break easily also. Oh, and I don't think adding a whole lot of weight to the handle is a plausible option....I tired that (along with the lead tapes at 6&9), and the racket got too heavy for me too swing, and my arms got tired really fast.

polakosaur
03-01-2004, 06:52 PM
make sure you hit the ball on the center of the racquet like 100% of the time, the tour 90 is unforgiving, and if you do the power will come naturally. also remember power and pace is a product if racquet head speed, adding lead tape makes it head heavy why would you put extra stress on your elbow?

and last but not least have a warm up program with stretching and a weightlifting program

jings
03-01-2004, 09:53 PM
Couple of things you can do. Consider a hybrid string job with gut and BB Alu. You get the same locked in effect with BB crosses but the power and forgiveness of gut in the mains. Consider the Bow Championship gut that is about $18 a string, only a little more than BB and the durability is good - use string savers as strings start to ftray though, it will help a lot. I would also consider moving some of that weight out of the head and into the throat if you like the higher overall weight. You may be suffering by not getting the raquet head in exactly the right place with 12g in the hoop - consider moving 6g to the throat. T90 is not a frame you want to be getting in the wrong place too often, it just is not that forgiving on mishits, and the last thing you'll want with a dicky elbow. Good luck.

Loud
03-02-2004, 02:48 AM
Natural gut with a decent cross lasts suprisingly long. Feels good, is not that expensive and won't shear on mishits.

vincent_tennis
02-06-2008, 04:43 AM
maybe its because of ur string and the lead tape.
Because of that weight on the PWS mis-hits hurt my shoulder. (happened to me when i started using this racket 2gs of lead on each pws but after i took them off and slowly improved my form)
try a hybrid?
Get the BB rough on the mains
and a multi/syn gut on the crosses?

mains on 51 +/-1
crosses on 49+/-1

Hope this helps:)

fuzz nation
02-06-2008, 05:23 AM
Dump that poly immediately if not sooner!

TennezSport
02-06-2008, 05:28 AM
If you really like your current setup, you can try a few things before changing the strings, although as suggested a hybrid setup will do you some good.

Try droping some lead first and see where your threshold is. Try going to 10 and then 8g instead of the 12g. You can also try to lower your string tension by 2 to 3 lbs to see if that helps. Make sure you only do one thing at a time, so that you know what works for you. Hope this helps and good luck.

TennezSport :cool:

origmarm
02-06-2008, 05:35 AM
For me Poly is a no no due to the stiffness. Try a hybrid (some use PSG or Gosen instead of gut to cut the cost) or even go full syn gut if its still bad. I would recommend going with Tennez's recommendation first though and try finding if there is a threshold

Mr. Hokey
02-06-2008, 05:59 AM
eh. for the most part i don't think you need the lead. a lot of people try leading up their racquets and eventually just go back to the stock weight and balance. it may just be a placebo affect for you. how many player's racquets have you leaded up before?