PDA

View Full Version : Prince White / Fischer MSpeed / Wilson n 6.1 95

Tof
04-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Reducing my short list, looking for

- arm / shoulder friendly,
- racquet for attacking players, all around + serve - volley (good kick / flat),
- good combo between maneuverability to whip the ball and stability for net game,
- like players racquet but want sthg just a bit less demanding, just a bit extra pop (that's why I think also 18*20 not appropriate for n 6.1).

Have you guys tested and compared those frames? Reco? Also any stringing reco?

Tks.

Achillesg
04-03-2006, 01:48 PM
My ncode is very arm friendly when strung with Excel, NXT or natural gut at around 57 lb or less. With those strings, it might be able to take more than 57 and still be arm friendly, but I haven't tried.

I put in a Hurricane/Excel hybrid at 57 and it was a little harsh for the first several hours. Once it mellowed a little it has been fine.

tarkowski
04-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Reducing my short list, looking for

- arm / shoulder friendly,
- racquet for attacking players, all around + serve - volley (good kick / flat),
- good combo between maneuverability to whip the ball and stability for net game,
- like players racquet but want sthg just a bit less demanding, just a bit extra pop (that's why I think also 18*20 not appropriate for n 6.1).

Have you guys tested and compared those frames? Reco? Also any stringing reco?

Tks.

Hey Tof,

I think that is an ideal demo list! All are great raquets in their own right, great at what you are asking for, and different enough from one another that a demo would help you sort them out.

The Prince is the easiest to swing and has a comfortable feel. It's very manuverable up at net, but not as much weight as the others to help with harder-hitting opponents.

The Fischer is the lowest-powered, (but still pretty good pop on full swings) and is also very easy on the arm. It is a very nice-feeling stick with great feedback.

The Wilson 16x18 is a great all-courter that can generate some serious topspin for serve and from the baseline and has that great head-light balance for transition to net. Best of the three at net. A little more demanding, and perhaps harder than the rest (not hard) on the arm.

My current bias is for the Wilson 18x20 but I've purchased the mSpeed and am enjoying it immensely as well.

Bora
04-03-2006, 02:51 PM
From your criteria, I would say the Fischer MSpeed would be it. I am still amazed at the amount of comfort and control it had and still had great serving power. I think its a much better stick that the O3 Tour or the Wilson nCode 6 95s I have hit with. Sorry, I haven't hit with the O3 White, but I did with the O3 Tour 100.

thejackal
04-03-2006, 06:13 PM
If you can handle the weight, by all means get the n6-1, but if not, the Fischer sounds good.

Tof
04-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Guys, thanks for serious feedback.

One question: I am surprised to hear pretty often that the fischer is the least powered of almost all the sticks around but still people seem to enjoy it and find it pretty easy to use. How do you explain that? Is it demanding or not so much?

tarkowski
04-04-2006, 05:51 AM
Guys, thanks for serious feedback.

One question: I am surprised to hear pretty often that the fischer is the least powered of almost all the sticks around but still people seem to enjoy it and find it pretty easy to use. How do you explain that? Is it demanding or not so much?

When I describe the Fischer this way, I mean you need to have fully-developed strokes to tap into the power. Beginners used to head-heavy racquets to do the work for them will be disappointed - the ball won't make it over the net. But with full strokes, the racquet does have more pop than traditional player's sticks like Wilson PS 85 and PS 95. And as a relatively larger 'players' racquet, it provides a larger sweet spot as well. In terms of it's comfort, manuverability, control\power ratio, and size, I find it to be one of the easiest modern-day player raquets to use. It doesn't have as much power as the nSixOne 95 16x18 - but for me, that makes it less demanding. Let me explain...

A stick can be demanding in a number of ways. I find the nSixOne 95 16x18 demanding because it is both heavy and quite powerful. You would think the power - a bit more than the mSpeed 98 - would make it easier to use, but for me, it requires perfect execution or balls sail. This is because you can't get around the fact that head speed generates topspin - and you need to be swinging fast to tame the inherent power of this stick. Swing fast and flat - and good bye! And the nCode is realtively heavy. So as you get tired in that 3rd set, you may not be able to generate that topspin. But the racquet is still as powerful. :-) You may swing more flat than intended, still trying to produce topspin - but it may not be enough to keep it in. I don't experience this as much with the Fischer.

The Fischer, even though I have to swing harder throughout the match, provides better consistency - and is lighter, so swinging harder is not as tiring. Swing hard and flat - and you still can get it in.

This latter observation is also true for the 18x20 version of the nSixOne as well - and in fact the 18x20 is still my current stick of choice. But the 18x20 is quite a bit more demanding because it is both heavier than the Fischer - and nSixOne 16x18 - and has a higher swingweight to boot.

Hope this helps!

ragnaROK
04-04-2006, 06:31 AM
I think you could also add the LM or Flexpoint Prestige Midpluses to that list. Those are all good arm friendly choices. Out of those 3 I would say the 03 White would provide the most power while the Fischer M Speed would have the least amount of power. I'd suggest giving those a good demo before you decide on one because specs are deceptive sometimes.

Tof
04-05-2006, 03:12 PM
Thanks for valuable input. Particular thanks to tarkowski, look to be a serious and nice tennis expert / fan !

Guys, I have kept trying the wilson n6.1 95 18*20. Nice but still I wonder if not slightly too demanding / heavy. If I'm well on my legs, on balance, I can bang well and it gives the serious and loud feedback of any credible and serious player'sracquet. Otherwise, for unbalanced shots or very low balls, difficult to rip a nice shot. More concerning, I am currently considering a racquet change as I've been suffering a shoulder tendonitis, probably due to the combined come back after 10+ years, racquet change to ncodentour which is light and even balance as well as alu luxilon used as a hybrid.....Unfortunately, I played 2 hours with my friend yesterday (no serve and more than 1 month rest and rehab) and my shoulder felt prettty sore today.

I was more on the prince white side those days , being btempted by an easy player stick, but, after experiencing this arm pain yesterday again, I give more credit back to the fischer again as I think it is the most arm-friendly of all. Also I read all the comments and this stick looks to really please everyone.
Also, I must adlmit it is nice to experience again this serious feel of a players racquet that rewards well balanced and executed strokes. I think the Fischer, from what I read, could be the right balance between those two sticks ie comfort, players feel but slightly less demanding than n 61.

I am an agressive all-around / serve -volley. I think I should give this fischer a try. To be honest, I was about to order it tonight to TW but in France it is now 1 am and I prefer not to do mistakes at this late hour. Tomorrow probably, with a fresher mind and hopefully latest comments from you guys, I will finalize it (for those suggesting I try before, I know it's better but Fischer is not one of the best distributed brands in france...).

Note: Marius, I considered the Volkl MP10 as you recommended but after reading various feedbacks, looks to have weakness on the control side. Looks that fischer could be as confortable with enhanced control.

Thanks for your feedbaks so far.

Tof
04-05-2006, 03:13 PM
One last question.

what would be your stringing reco for fischer m pseed pro. Tension / string?

thanks

tarkowski
04-05-2006, 03:34 PM
One last question.

what would be your stringing reco for fischer m pseed pro. Tension / string?

thanks

Thanks for the kind words Tof.

I have my mSpeed 98 strung with Babolat VS 16 @ 57 and really enjoy it.

iscottius has posted a bit on the mSpeed 98. I believe he switched to it from an nSixOne 95 16x18. I took his reccommendations on stringing - I believe he reccommended something like 57-61 with natural gut. I went on the low side and find it to still have great control. Do a search on his userid and you'll find additional info from an mSpeed enthusiast.

DSL
04-05-2006, 03:54 PM
Hi Tof

I was about to give up on my M Speeds before I found the right tension. I lowered tension to 55# with BB ALU Rough and it is perfect for me. It is powerful and very controllable at the same time. I got a lot of bite this way and really improved my topspin.

I previously had it around 59# with a hybrid gut / poly setup, but found it very low powered.

I agree with previous posts...this racquet is very tension sensitive and plays best around 55-57#.

I also enjoyed the racquet a lot more with a vibration absorber. I was able to get rid of the slight ping and maintain lots of feel.

If you stick with the M Speed I think you will enjoy it as a very good all around racquet.

slewisoh
04-05-2006, 04:02 PM
The 03 White was probably the most fun racquet I tried in my quest to find the perfect arm friendly racquet. I had an absolute blast taking part in a drill with this racquet. I was RIPPING returns - and I never rip returns. Volleys were controlled with plenty of pop and the larger head size translated into bigger serves. But....bottom line is my wrist and shoulder were both very sore after using this racquet. Dang.

Pro Kennex Ki 5 Ionic was the most comfortable but had a higher swing weight. My game was safe and sound with this racquet but the fun element was definitely missing. I found the Volkl Tour 9 VEMP (16x19 string pattern)to be the best combination of comfort and fun.

Make sure you try several racquets - no one was more surprised by my final racquet choice than me!

bluedecember
04-05-2006, 04:24 PM
I am a newly convert to Fischer M speed 98.I switched from my PD PLUS.Babolat pd plus is a great stick but didnt have enough control and confidence at net. The only reason i kept playing with PD was its great serving power...guess what fischer blows away PD with its extra weight , feel and control .Be careful though that fischer is not very forgiving to off center hits and Slightly low powered in ground strokes.Find the right string for this stick and you will love it.final word..always use a dampner, preferably a rubber band , and it will enhance the feel greatly...good luck tennising....

Tof
04-05-2006, 09:50 PM
Thank you guys. you are so quick !

I am surpirsed you all mention to string on the low side and recommend 55 / 60 which is 25*27 kgs. For me, starts to be in the high tension range.

Just to let you know, my wilsons (ntour 95 and n6.1 95 are strung at 53*51. Higher tension starts looking stiff to me. I was previously a high tension fan, but not anymore. Maybe my age (35)...

So I think I should string the fischer the same 53*50 in a gut full job and even less if I use a soft poly (ace 18) on the mains or crosses. Maybe I would try 55 * 52 max to take into account slightly bigger headsize. I have to take care of my shoulder with lower tension also, that's why I am changing racquets.

Any further advise welcome. Thanks for to all for feedbacks to date.

tarkowski
04-06-2006, 07:51 AM
Thank you guys. you are so quick !

I am surpirsed you all mention to string on the low side and recommend 55 / 60 which is 25*27 kgs. For me, starts to be in the high tension range.

Just to let you know, my wilsons (ntour 95 and n6.1 95 are strung at 53*51. Higher tension starts looking stiff to me. I was previously a high tension fan, but not anymore. Maybe my age (35)...

So I think I should string the fischer the same 53*50 in a gut full job and even less if I use a soft poly (ace 18) on the mains or crosses. Maybe I would try 55 * 52 max to take into account slightly bigger headsize. I have to take care of my shoulder with lower tension also, that's why I am changing racquets.

Any further advise welcome. Thanks for to all for feedbacks to date.

Hey Tof,

Whatever tension you had with nTour or nSixOne, you can go even lower with the Fischer and still have less power. If you're comfortable with the power at those lower tensions, I'd reccommend string the Fischer between 50-53 as well.

Tof
04-06-2006, 08:40 AM
Hey Tark,

nice to talk to you.

Just finished ordering the m speed one minute ago. Full job klip legend at 52. We'll see.

I was about to order directly two but I've been wise, just in case I'm disappointed but I don't think so re all the positive comments.

Will keep you guys posted. Thanks for all your feedbacks.:cool: