PDA

View Full Version : Just got a fake racquet of E b a y

splink779
04-03-2006, 01:57 PM
It was an AeroPro drive, but the cosmetics are off, the grommets are different, the grip is different, and it weighs 10 oz!! Balance is off too. Anybody have this experience? I'm waiting for a reply from the guy, he had better give me my money back.

Ripper
04-03-2006, 02:08 PM
Who was the seller? Please provide details.

splink779
04-03-2006, 02:25 PM
Heres a link to the item http://cgi.*********/ws/****ISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7230894975&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

if that doesnt work it is item # 7230894975

It doesnt match the stats he listed so he better refund.

splink779
04-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Wierd thing he lives in the US so i thought it would be real.

slice it
04-03-2006, 02:48 PM
The bag in the picture is totally different from the standard aeropro:-|

mr2union
04-03-2006, 03:10 PM
The US sellers got the stuffs from China. I got the fake AeroStrike in December too from one of the US sellers. The seller of the AeroStrike seemed oblivious about the counterfeit, so I didn't blame him too much. The seller did refund my money, but I was out the return shipping charge and the stringing cost that I paid at a locol pro-shop.

As soon as I hit with the rackets, I knew they weren't right. The weight was bad, the rackets had those "clunky" noise when hitting the balls, the grips were badly "melted" to the clear plastic, the grommets were slightly different than the ones I see in store and the grommets were loose...etc

The funny thing was after the seller refunded my money, got the rackets back, he strung them and tried them out himself. He wrote back to me and told me he didn't find anything wrong with the AeroStrike and actually it hit better than his AeroProDrive. I had nothing to say, except wishing good luck with using that rackets. (I guess his AeroProDrive was also counterfeit, so the fake AeroStrike hits better than that.)

splink779
04-03-2006, 05:30 PM
The guy handled it well. He fully refunded me and sent me extra for shipping it back. Nice guy, although I still have to maintain some suspicion that he knew it was fake and may have been trying to unload it.

Richie Rich
04-03-2006, 07:15 PM
The guy handled it well. He fully refunded me and sent me extra for shipping it back. Nice guy, although I still have to maintain some suspicion that he knew it was fake and may have been trying to unload it.
There was a seller like this that was local to me too. Sold a fake ncode 6.1. had the ncode 6.1 paint but had the beam of the ntour. he claimed ignorance and refunded the money pretty quickly.

there seems to be more fakes out there these days. this makes legit e b a y sellers life tough since these bozos who sell fakes drive down the prices of the real ones since people always will have doubts about the authenticity of the frame. buyers will get a good price but will take ther chances.

Azzurri
04-03-2006, 07:17 PM
anyone have a picture of any fake Ncode 6.1 tour 90's?

DRtenniS1112
04-03-2006, 07:23 PM
I am almost positive i am wrong but it kinda sounds like that racket was similar to the Babolat Aeropro Drive JUNIOR racket.

splink779
04-03-2006, 07:52 PM
Well, i looked on **** again, and now that I know how to spot them (the teal color at 3 and 9 instead of dark blue gives is away among other things) there are others out there! I feel bad for those who buy these and that cannot get their money back. I was lucky. But with so many being sold, the sellers must know that they are fake.

KFwinds
04-03-2006, 11:04 PM
This is so amazing to me. I'm not saying that you didn't get some sort of bum deal, but I have yet to see a "fake" tennis racquet. Why and how would anyone even produce a "fake" tennis racquet? Yet there is such a buzz about "fake" racquets in circulation.

A couple of months ago I sold a barely used Pure Drive Std on the large auction site, where I have been a user for 8+ years and have a perfect feedback rating. I couldn't believe how many emails I received from people wanting extra close-up pics of the racquet to determine if it was "real" or not. Can someone explain the "fake" racquet thing to me? If there are fakes, where do they come from? Sorry about my skepticism on this matter (especially if you have been a victim); maybe someone can help...

fishuuuuu
04-03-2006, 11:07 PM
This is so amazing to me. I'm not saying that you didn't get some sort of bum deal, but I have yet to see a "fake" tennis racquet. Why and how would anyone even produce a "fake" tennis racquet? Yet there is such a buzz about "fake" racquets in circulation.

A couple of months ago I sold a barely used Pure Drive Std on the large auction site, where I have been a user for 8+ years and have a perfect feedback rating. I couldn't believe how many emails I received from people wanting extra close-up pics of the racquet to determine if it was "real" or not. Can someone explain the "fake" racquet thing to me? If there are fakes, where do they come from? Sorry about my skepticism on this matter (especially if you have been a victim); maybe someone can help...

One word, China.

dbdynsty25
04-04-2006, 12:48 AM
This is precisely why I'd rather spend an extra 30-40 bucks and buy directly from TW or other reputable sites so I know I'm getting the real deal. That auction site is ridiculous sometimes for certain products.

bismark
04-04-2006, 02:10 AM
I've some dealings with Chinese businesses and here's what I make of it:

Most of the fake stuff at e-b a y (or anywhere else) comes from China. Period. Making and selling fake stuff is a rampant practice in China. Bad business ethics and intellectual/copyright infringements are also quite common in mainland China. The Chinese government tries to do something about it, but with these entrenched mindset among its people, ignorance and corruption at all levels, there's not much improvement actually.

The "fake stuff" situation would have got worse if other WTO countries did not intervene and put pressure on China. Recently, Starbucks won a lawsuit (took a few years) against a coffee chain in Shanghai who boldly and blatantly use Starbucks logo and name as their own. To Starbucks, it's a huge relief. But to the Shanghainese, it's no big deal, and they will do it again if there's money to be made.

For reading interest, here are some bizzare 'fakes' busted by the authorities, as reported by their local media:

Fake eggs - made from parafin wax (shell), starch, glucose, colorings, and other questionable ingredients to make the egg whites and yolks look genuine. These fake eggs were sold to consumers, and they thought these eggs were freshly hatched from chicken farms!

Fake infant milk powder. These 'milk' did not come from cows or other animals. They were made from cheap grain and starch - zero nutritional value. The sad part was several infants actually died or got sick from malnutrition. Totally unscrupulous.

IMO, albeit all these 'fakes', China is still a good place to do business.

Mugatu
04-04-2006, 03:04 AM
KFwinds, like you, i was a bit skeptical and naive about this whole fake racquet epidemic. however, i've since come across one myself when i saw the n6.1 a hitting partner of mine was using. i had to inform him he'd been sold a fake as it was pretty obvious. the racquets throat didn't have the contoured corners where the throat joins the head and the paint job looked a bit suss. i have hit with it though, and it feels surprisingly good but it's no real deal..

so.. yes, fakes definitely exist. but i'm amazed that they are produced..

KFwinds
04-04-2006, 11:22 AM
Wow. I guess I was already aware of Chinese knock-offs of certain products, but tennis racquets? Also, aren't some racquets produced in China anyway (i.e. Wilson ProStaff 6.0)? I guess I'll be on the lookout...

mr2union
04-04-2006, 11:44 AM
I've some dealings with Chinese businesses and here's what I make of it:

Most of the fake stuff at e-b a y (or anywhere else) comes from China. Period. Making and selling fake stuff is a rampant practice in China. Bad business ethics and intellectual/copyright infringements are also quite common in mainland China. The Chinese government tries to do something about it, but with these entrenched mindset among its people, ignorance and corruption at all levels, there's not much improvement actually.

The "fake stuff" situation would have got worse if other WTO countries did not intervene and put pressure on China. Recently, Starbucks won a lawsuit (took a few years) against a coffee chain in Shanghai who boldly and blatantly use Starbucks logo and name as their own. To Starbucks, it's a huge relief. But to the Shanghainese, it's no big deal, and they will do it again if there's money to be made.

For reading interest, here are some bizzare 'fakes' busted by the authorities, as reported by their local media:

Fake eggs - made from parafin wax (shell), starch, glucose, colorings, and other questionable ingredients to make the egg whites and yolks look genuine. These fake eggs were sold to consumers, and they thought these eggs were freshly hatched from chicken farms!

Fake infant milk powder. These 'milk' did not come from cows or other animals. They were made from cheap grain and starch - zero nutritional value. The sad part was several infants actually died or got sick from malnutrition. Totally unscrupulous.

IMO, albeit all these 'fakes', China is still a good place to do business.

You are pretty knowledgeable about these things. I came from Hong Kong, so I heard of these news too. It is true that the Chinese are notorious about making counterfeit products. Who would have thought that the Chinese are willing to go through the whole R&D process and develop a technique to make fake eggs?!?! Come on, how much is it to produce real eggs in a chicken farm? Why make fake eggs? I don't know the answer to that.

Knowing that Chinese can set up factories and make fake eggs, I am not surprised that they would make fake rackets and all the attachments necessary. Also, I think the Chinese are shameless in selling second grade (disgarded) products from legit factory. Maybe the tennis rackets are not fake, but they may be way off the spec and disgarded during QC. These disgarded products are being sold in the "black" market openly.

I'm a Chinese too, but I have to admit, the culture in China is very different than the rest of the world. They put quality way at the back of their mindset. All they care is whether the brand name is on the top of what the buy. The Chinese actually admire the knock-off and marvel how much the knock-off is similar to the real products. In fact, many Chinese buy knock-off products because they are amazed by the copying techniques.

doriancito
04-04-2006, 03:58 PM
can you pos come pictures fo your own? not from the seller

SCSI
04-04-2006, 04:24 PM
Unfortunately, I was on the same boat a while back but @bay won't help me at all, even after I forwarded them an e-mail from Babolat confirming that it was counterfeit racket. The seller also threatened me with a law suit daily for defaming him baselessly by calling me at home and leaving me a message everyday, mentioning that he has lots of money, etc., after I warned others on @Bay. Unfortunately, the seller was barking at a wrong tree and got me ****ed even more.

So, I told the guy to bring it on. I sent the rackets to Babolat for them to examine. These were such good counterfeits they played like the real thing with Woofer and everything and Babolat USA had to send it to France to be able to confirm that they were fake.

Babolat ended up sending me a couple of rackets of my choice and gave me some other stuff for helping them out to get the bad guy. So, kudos for Babolat for going out of their way to help out.

Stupid @Bay mediator wanted me to send the rackets back to the original seller for merely money back and withdraw my comments even after I sent them several pictures with all three rackets sharing exactly the same serial#s! They also refused to call Babolat after I gave them the phone # and the name of engineer to speak to. What a disgrace of a company!!! I am sure Babolat had a heck of time to get the seller off @Bay, as I saw the guy continue to sell his fake stuff for some time.

I would simply send the rackets back and get your money back. Thanks for warning us.

Mugatu
04-04-2006, 06:27 PM
nice work. respect to babolat for their generosity

rj_md
04-04-2006, 07:00 PM
i got a fake one too (APD)...compared it to the new authentic one i got, here are some tips on knowing a fake one from another (based on what i saw...on the fake one):
- the yellow color of the main stripes on the head (where the lines of the stencil are basd on) are darker than the rest of the yellow colored marking on the racquet
- values on the throat: weight is 10.7oz (instead of 10.6oz)
- the recommended string is 'conquest' instead of 'xcel' and 'pro hurricane'
- it's head heavy
- a lot of vibration when hitting the ball
- the case is made of somple material
- the handle is longer than the original
- the overall color is more 'gray' than is is 'black'
- there is NO 'a' at the bottom of the throat
- the grommets on the throat don't have the woofer system (meaning the bulky grommets with the holes in them)
- lighter in weight
.....hope these help...;)

jonolau
04-04-2006, 08:57 PM
The pattern here is that the counterfeit racquets are the brands which are heavily endorsed and advertised.

Just like the Starbucks case, the counterfeiters do not have to worry about advertising or promotional costs as the brands are in high demand.

Unfortunately, we just have to follow very simple rules when buying from sources such as @bay: there is no free lunch in this world, and when a deal is too good to be true, chances are it probably is.

Best to pay a bit more at TW and save the hassles of weeks of anguish, agony and frustration.

Court_Jester
04-04-2006, 09:06 PM
The pattern here is that the counterfeit racquets are the brands which are heavily endorsed and advertised.
All the more reason to go for brands like Technifibre, Fischer and Volkl. A casual shopper for racquets probably have never heard of these brands. I myself am in the process of switching to Volkl. So far, I like them a LOT.

jonolau
04-04-2006, 09:14 PM
All the more reason to go for brands like Technifibre, Fischer and Volkl. A casual shopper for racquets probably have never heard of these brands. I myself am in the process of switching to Volkl. So far, I like them a LOT.
I second that! I'm sticking with my Volkls, but only because they're one of the most perfect and humble racquets ever made.

So long as Baghdhatis continues to be endorsed, I'd start keeping a closer eye on Fischer racquets too ... LOL!

ATXtennisaddict
04-04-2006, 09:27 PM
always check feedback

dewey2110
04-04-2006, 09:58 PM

Those brands are growing really fast with good technology...also, wouldnt it be cooler if you have a racquet thats different from most people around?

mr2union
04-04-2006, 10:10 PM
there is no free lunch in this world, and when a deal is too good to be true, chances are it probably is.

:neutral: No arguement here. I hear this alot and I agree 100%. But watch out for the sellers who know the art of reverse phycology. The fake rackets that I got were cheaper than the official MSRP price, but they were still pretty expensive. It was just about 20% difference. So don't fall for it even the price is not too good to be true.

I learnt my lesson. I would rather just pay the 20% more and get it from TW. That was where I finally got my new DNX8's just about 2 weeks ago. Paying full MSRP price stinks, but at least I have peace of mind.

splink779
04-04-2006, 10:19 PM
always check feedback

Yeah, this guy had a 100%, hundreds of feedbacks.

cozmo5050
04-04-2006, 10:58 PM
It was an AeroPro drive, but the cosmetics are off, the grommets are different, the grip is different, and it weighs 10 oz!! Balance is off too. Anybody have this experience? I'm waiting for a reply from the guy, he had better give me my money back.

hey, are u "tap779"? i was curious because i would like to help spread the word of fake racquets on the auction site. i am a loyal *bay user, and this type of stuff ****es me off.

Ezekiel
04-05-2006, 03:04 AM
Are there fake Liquidmetal radicals on e.b.a.y?
I bought one for 80 US Buy Now, getting it tomorow. It comes with shock absorber in Head plastic. Grip had the liquidmetal paper thing. Though just wandering if there ARE any in the market

therogerfan
04-05-2006, 04:57 AM
It doesn't even look as an original Aeropro Drive

FuZz_Da_AcE
04-05-2006, 05:01 AM
Yeah, this guy had a 100%, hundreds of feedbacks.

what a rat, to build up so much feedback and then strike just like that!

SCSI
04-05-2006, 08:10 AM
Actually, i may be possible that most of these people don't realize that they got fake rackets. The PDs I got looked almost real, and I am very familar with them. Like I said, Babolat USA couldn't tell whether it was fake. Intially, I thought these were factory rejects, since they were so close, but Babolat France was able to determine that it was not manufactured in the same plant. Like I said, though I have played with PD for more than two years, I couldn't tell whether they were fake by the way they played or their weight and balance.

Also, these sellers threaten anyone who leave a negative comment to take them off with $Bay's help.

Again $Bay doesn't care so long as they get their $$$. Pay up extra $$$ and buy from TW. It is not worth the risk.

Exia
04-05-2006, 09:48 AM
One word, China.

china makes 99.9% of REAL rackets.

i am sure this is an tw employee trying to scare people to buy tw instead of eb@y

Mountainman
04-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Doesn't surprise me that the Chinese have counter fit racquets. When I visited Taiwan, there were players using Babolat racquets which I thought they were by the paint job. When I looked closer, the racquets were missing woofer gromments and babolat signatures.

mr2union
04-05-2006, 10:18 AM
though I have played with PD for more than two years, I couldn't tell whether they were fake by the way they played or their weight and balance.

Just as a devil advocate. As you said, you are very familiar with the real PD and yet you still couldn't tell the fake from the genuine rackets. Then maybe at the end, the fake is not a bad thing. Afterall, the fake is cheaper, it looks/weights/balances just the same and as capable as the genuine rackets.

In my case with the AeroStrike, I think the quality of the fake was not as good as the real, and I did pay close to the actual price, so I was truely ripped. :mad: