PDA

View Full Version : Educate me on yonnex and volkl

Tennis79
04-03-2006, 02:35 PM
this is also a choose a racquet for me thread.

my racquet history:
my first racquet was a cheap wilson impact. thats what i learned on. and as i became a better player i switched to a lm instinct. I enjoy the instinct very much and still play with it. then after a while i got a LM prestige midplus and i enjoy that as much as i enjoy my instinct. I can switch from one to another with ease. both head racquets are strung with vs touch at 58lbs.

my game:
I am an intermediate player that plays a lot of doubles. I do play singles but not that much. I hit fairly flat, pretty flat. But i can hit with spin when i need to (which of course i should do more (especially on the forehandside). My game would best be described as an aggressive counter puncher. I don't hit that hard (often) but i can generate pace and a lot of depth on my two-hander backhand. I also like to hit the slice on the forehand side and slice/chip with the two-hander. Because of my doubles game i love the net and am very comfortable at net. I am a "thinker" on the court. I can change the direction of the ball fairly well. I use my serve to start the point. i try to mix it up but slicing, keeping it low and all over the box, it just lacks power.
i also like to work the angle with the groundies.

ok. now I am in the market for a racquet because i have money. lol. I definately will keep playing with my head racquets but i just want to explore other racquets. especially Volkl and Yonnex. just cause i think some of them look good. (yes, i said it, i think yonnex racquets look good!) I would just like some suggestions based on my game and my racquet history. They don't have to be yonnex and volkl racquets name whatever you think would best suit my game. i also am wondering wha adjustmest i would make if i tried the lm prestige mid.

p.s yes i know there is a demo program and yes i know i should read the reviews but im lazy and you guys always have better feedback.

p.s.s sorry for the grammatical errors. im lazy. sometime on the court too.

Stan
04-03-2006, 04:29 PM
First lesson...

Yonex is spelled with one "n." (Couldn't resist) :-)

tennis_nerd22
04-03-2006, 04:32 PM
First lesson...

Yonex is spelled with one "n." (Couldn't resist) :-)

LOL

Tennis79
04-03-2006, 04:32 PM
thanks, Im sure thats not the only spelling error i made.

me spell pretty.

scotus
04-03-2006, 04:47 PM
Yonex racquets look good, but the paint job is quite "delicate" (At least that's the case with the RDX series). I would recommend that you use head tape to prevent paint chipping.

Rasta
04-03-2006, 04:52 PM
I switched to Yonex a few years ago after playing mostly with Prince and Wilson rackets. I really like the feel of Yonex. The stringbed seems to give a more even, predictable response which I assume is because of the unique headshape. Also, in my experience with Yonex, they play larger than the actual headsize. My old Super RD Tour 90 played like a midplus.

Also, most people that I know who switch to Yonex are very loyal to the brand. Finally, the quality control seems superior to Wilson and Prince.

Bottom line is give Yonex a chance. If you like it great, if not there are plenty of options out there. Good luck.

jonolau
04-03-2006, 06:42 PM
You may want to give the Volkl DNX10 (325) a shot. One of the most control oriented racquets from Volkl.

JediMindTrick
04-03-2006, 07:38 PM
The Yonex rival to the LM Instinct is the RDS 003. This is a new model and most people who have played with it can't stop singing praises so it's probably a kick-a*s racquet. I can't wait to try it. The LM Prestige MP competition from Yonex is the RDS 001 MP.

From the Volkl side you should compare the DNX 8 and DNX V1 MP with the LM Instinct and the DNX 10 with the LM Prestige MP.

vin
04-07-2006, 09:19 AM
Yonex racquets look good, but the paint job is quite "delicate" (At least that's the case with the RDX series). I would recommend that you use head tape to prevent paint chipping.

I thought it might have been just my RDS 003. It seems that court rash leads to paint chipping off.