PDA

View Full Version : changing extended length rackets to standard length

perfectionist
04-03-2006, 06:48 PM
i have some babolat pure drive+ rackets. does anyone have any tips on how i can change them to standard length, if that's even possible? they are unweildy at this length.

DANMAN
04-03-2006, 06:51 PM
run a search...take a fine toothed saw and cut 1/2 inch off and voila...a pure drive standard

J D
04-03-2006, 08:03 PM
Perfectionist, if you haven't played with a standard PD, then I would recommend either trying one or just cutting down one frame at first. While it is true that the PD is just a shortened PD+, the PD does play quite a bit different. You may like it less than the PD+. Also, if you decide you don't like them and want to sell them, not a lot of people want a PD standard that says PD+ on it.

snoflewis
04-03-2006, 08:09 PM
you can always trade for a standard

Ripper
04-04-2006, 05:21 AM
you can always trade for a standard

Exactly. Don't mutilate your raquets :mad:

rocket
04-04-2006, 05:29 AM
i have some babolat pure drive+ rackets. does anyone have any tips on how i can change them to standard length, if that's even possible? they are unweildy at this length.

The extended ones tend to be lighter & balanced differently. You can always cut off a piece of the handle, but you'll probably have to deal with a new weight & balance.

perfectionist
04-04-2006, 08:40 PM
why would i want to change from the PD+ to standard if i wasn't sure that the PD standard was better for me. isn't it safe to assume that i've hit with the regular, which i have, and i liked it enough to post on tennis warehouse's Talk Tennis?

tonyjh63
04-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Hmm, anyone ever thought of taking 1/4 or maybe even 1/2 an inch off a standard length racquet? As someone who's only 5'7", I've wondered if a SLIGHTLY shorter racquet might not help my game. Just thinking out loud...

dewey2110
04-04-2006, 08:53 PM
I think the extra length isn't totally on the handle, so cutting it isnt the best choice...trade it...
Dont cut off the std. one though.

DANMAN
04-04-2006, 09:04 PM
actually, according to several knowledgeable people including Babolat reps, all of their drive and control rackets are made to around 29 inches and cut down to 27 and 27.5 for the plus and standard versions respectively. Cutting a plus down to standard is in no means mutilation. Good luck and take your time.

J D
04-05-2006, 03:24 PM
why would i want to change from the PD+ to standard if i wasn't sure that the PD standard was better for me. isn't it safe to assume that i've hit with the regular, which i have, and i liked it enough to post on tennis warehouse's Talk Tennis?No offense intended, Perfectionist, but we had no way of knowing your level of expertise or exposure to other frames. My ultimate point was, you will devalue your frames by cutting them down. If it turns out you don't stick with them, then you have cost yourself a lot of money when it comes time to sell/trade them. There are a lot more people looking for PD+'s than PD's (if you don't believe me, check the classifieds on this site). A whole lot less people want a PD that says PD+ on it.

perfectionist
04-05-2006, 03:57 PM
thanks for the information. i'll have to see if anyone will want to trade them.

monologuist
04-05-2006, 05:37 PM
I have cut a few extended length racquets down either .5" or .25"....first of all, take your time and be very careful, it is easy to cut unevenly...I 'd recommend an electric saw of some sort; I used a black and decker electric jigsaw..you can get it at home depot for like 30$....make sure the racquet is secured from movement somehow while cutting...and if you draw lines on the handle to cut from, remember the blade is thick itself, so take into account its width (if you just cut straight on the line, it will shave off a little too much).

I would recommend cutting .25" first to see if you like it....personally I think 27.25" is the perfect length for a tennis racquet, not 27 or 27.5".