PDA

View Full Version : 300g vs LM Instinct

Syfo-Dias
04-03-2006, 09:52 PM
So, recently my Yonex broke and I'm looking for another racquet. I've been looking over different sights and it's come down to either a 300g or a LM Instinct. The main reason I'm looking at these is because they are cheap and I think they would fit my game. I'm about a 3.0 baseline player who comes to net when play dictates. I can't decide which of these to go with.

watch_the_ball
04-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Both are solid sticks. I think the Instinct has a little more pop and is heavier stock. Can't you demo them?

babar
04-04-2006, 07:59 AM
Hi Syfo-Dias. I have play with a LM Instinct right now and have used the 300G in the past. They both play very nicely from all areas of the court. The main differences for me were the grip shape, head size, weight, and string pattern. I like the more rectangular grips of Head racquets compared to the rounded grips of Dunlop frames. I also wanted a more tight string pattern, like the Instinct, to prevent string breakage since I string pretty low and hit with a lot of spin. Also, the slighty larger head size and extra .4 ounces of weight of the Instinct helps me with volleys and blocking back balls that are not in the strike zone. I decided to buy the Instinct over the 300G after using demos at our local club for a good 3 weeks of 3-4 times a week. I even got the pro to string the demos with my string and tension so I could get a real good feel for the racquets. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck.

louis netman
04-04-2006, 09:49 AM
300G is one of the best platform rackets out there, and priced to sell! Haven't tried the Instinct, but others have mentioned a hollow or metallic feel...

KFwinds
04-04-2006, 10:02 AM
I also did not like the weight or the feel of the Instinct, plus the balance seemed odd (for me). I use the M-Fil 300 with a 300g as a 3rd backup; the Dunlop feel is very solid with all the control anyone could ask for. Easy racquets to swing because of the weight, although some folks like to lead 'em up a bit. I enjoy mine stock. Another big difference between the Dunlop and the Head is the width of the beam - the Head has a tapered beam (possibly why the balance felt funky to me) while the Dunlop has a straight, 21.5mm beam. They are very different racquets, so it shouldn't take long too figure out which one you prefer if you demo.

calabi12
04-04-2006, 10:20 AM
You are looking at 2 excellent sticks. You will not go wrong with either, though it depends on your style.

I moved from the 300G to a Flexpoint Insticnt (replacement for the liquidmetal). I just bought a liquidmetal Instinct as a backup since it is only slightly different and because it is so cheap right now.

The 300G is a much more stiffer frame than the Instinct and over time, my arm did not like that. That is why I demoed so many sticks and settled on the Instinct.

The 300G has a small edge on ground strokes, and is bit more like a players racquet than the Instinct.

In my opinion, the Instinct tops the Pure Drive and the Volkl DNX 8 mainly because I find it more comfortable.

Syfo-Dias
04-04-2006, 10:41 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I was also considering the 200g because it's so cheap right now too. But I was thinking it might be too demanding for me. I might see if I can demo any of theses racquets at a local pro shop. Getting a demo from TW would not be cost effective considering the low retail price of these racquets. Also, does anybody know if the LM Instinct was made in Austria?

jtreed2000
04-04-2006, 11:28 AM
I currently use a 300G, but I'm looking for something with slightly less power and a bit heavier. One thing I do not like about many Head racquets is the tight string pattern, beacuse it's less spin friendly. A more flexible racquet will help with this. I also like the Yonex RDX 500's.

dewey2110
04-04-2006, 11:48 AM
If you want good control and COMFORT, go for the instinct

watch_the_ball
04-04-2006, 01:10 PM
jtreed2000,
Wait for the 2006 M-fil 200 Plus.(It's 27") Sounds like what you're looking for. I'm waiting to demo it also. I tried the regular m-fil 200 which was a little too heavy and has a denser string pattern.

jtreed2000
04-05-2006, 07:49 AM
Sorry to hijack the thread. : (

Did you try the mfil 300? I'm looking at 11.5oz or so and something that's pretty flexible now (59-62RDC?). I tend to overhit my drives sometimes when I know I have that extra pop. I'd rather be able to rely on spin and go for more angles instead banging deep flat balls with less consistency.