PDA

View Full Version : changing extended length to standard

perfectionist
04-04-2006, 12:03 PM
i want to change my pure drive+ rackets to standard length. my friend owns the standard length version and i have hit with it for some time. does anyone know the procedure of shortening the length of your racket. the PD+'s grip/handles are poorly made and it seems as though the butt caps were just staple on, along with the extra length. anyways- i want to shorten them.

Ripper
04-06-2006, 05:43 AM
i want to change my pure drive+ rackets to standard length. my friend owns the standard length version and i have hit with it for some time. does anyone know the procedure of shortening the length of your racket. the PD+'s grip/handles are poorly made and it seems as though the butt caps were just staple on, along with the extra length. anyways- i want to shorten them.

The procedure is very complicated; it requieres the use of very special tools called saws...

Seriously, If you really are a "perfectionist", don't butcher your raquets like that. I'd understand if these raquets were only available in the longer length, but that's not the case. PDs are very easy to sell, specially the Plus ones. Maybe you can trade them.

Oh and btw, all raquet companies staple the butt caps and grips and I hate it, too. Specially, since I'm sure there are others ways that don't require puncturing the frame.

topper#1
04-06-2006, 06:18 AM
I have always wanted to try an APD+ so I just picked a used one up. The frame I have actually measured 27.6 inches in length, I tried it but that is way too long for me - especially in a 100 sq in head size. But I did not want to go immediately to a 27 inch std length, as I often like 27 1.4 -3/8 inch length in a 100 sq in head size.

I wanted to try to maintain most of the serving benefits but reduce that length to a more manageable level. So I now have it at 27 3/8 and will play this afternoon.

Since I wanted to only modestly reduce the length by 1/8-1/4 inch I just used my sander with a rough gauge paper - it took about 5-7 minutes. Very easy to do.

I'll let you kmow how it plays at the shorter, but not 27 inch length.

Drak the tinkerer

Final_Match_Point
04-06-2006, 06:21 AM
Is there a large difference between a 27.5 and a 27 length racquet?

topper#1
04-06-2006, 06:26 AM
There are a lot of variables like Headsize and weight, but in general I have personally found that a 27.5 vs 27 inch frame, especially in a smaller headsize, has a OT of differences. I don't find it that noticeable when it is only a 1/4 inch, but 1/2 inch is a rather substantial difference.

I almost always server better with a longer frame, but manuervability usually suffers and if you have more "wristy" strokes then problems can be magnified.
And at times return of serve and especially reaction volleys in doubles can suffer - again overall weight and swingweight do matter here.

Final_Match_Point
04-06-2006, 06:27 AM
How about for players with shorter arms

topper#1
04-06-2006, 06:31 AM
There is NO "rule" here and MANY variables - you just have to experiment and find out if a longer racket does or does not work for you. Demo is what I suggest, if not then buy a few cheap used frames and resell them if you do not like them.

Soundog
04-06-2006, 06:56 AM
If you like your racket, go ahead and shorten it. You do own it and you do have a right to do with it what you want. Just take the butt cap off and saw off the end. That's it ! Anyway, you can always re-extend them again if you want to - I did. Lengthening a racked or Re-extending it is a bit complicated but it can be done.

I did that to some Yonex pro RD70 longs which I had because I found that I was having difficulty volleying with them and I wanted more control. I choped them down to 27 1/4 inches and added some lead to the shafts and the handle to balance them back up and now they play great ! There's increased power without decrease in spin, and I find I can hit flat when I want to more easily now.

topper#1
04-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Interesting frame (APD++ at 27 3/8 inches long. The one I have weighs 11.1 oz and is 6-7 pts HL. Actually was very easy to whip around. Mt SW was likely significantly lower than the "normal" - listed by TW at 335.

I really see why previous posters with SW or West. forehands like this frame - you can just about swing as hard as you can and you get great top and the stays in. I usually have problems witha longer racket and forehands - not at all here.

I had more problems adjusting to the BH and the striking distance from my body. More I played better it got, definitely an adjustment period where there was nobe on the FG. Nice slicing frame as well. My one handed slice BH worked very well, especially when I had time to set up.

Serves were very good. Volleys ok - I think I need an adjustment period here as well.

Overall, I liked the top. I strung it with at 56 lbs with a big hitter Poly hybrid. The power level of this frame is lower than I thought, so I'll go back to my preferred gut mains hybrid strung pretty tight. More pop should even be better as the top alows one to swing out and keep the ball in. With the poly I actually found many balls landing to short, so the gut/hybrid should be a good fit.