PDA

View Full Version : My Experience with Volkl T10 Gen II

samster
04-04-2006, 07:33 PM
I wanted to buy a DNX 8 but couldn't afford to at this time so I bought a used Volkl T10 Gen II instead from Mr. Bill Day, which I must say came in excellente condition. Again, thanks Bill!

Last night I strung up a Volkl T10 Gen II on my Klippermate with Signum Pro Poly Plasma 17 gauge. I debated about doing a hybrid but ended up using the PPP for both mains and crosses. I strung up the main at 50 lbs and crosses at 49 lbs. I took it out for a hit tonight for couple hours.

First of all, it is a very comfortable racket even with the poly. It was very stable; I suspect it has to do with the weight. My arm is a little tired though but no shoulder pain at all. Groundstrokes were pretty solid; I felt the RDX 500 MP (my regular racket) or the VE MP version generated a little more topspin though. Volleys were pretty easy as well. I would say this thing volleys better than the T10 VE MP. Overall, I thought Gen II is a better and more consistent racket compared with the VE version with slightly less power.

I am still adjusting to the grip but I served pretty well (practice) with the Gen II. I got out of it what I put in, if that made any sense. I thought it was easier to serve compared to the RDX 500 Mid or MP. Again, no discomfort whatsoever. I keep mentioning comfort because this is important to me because history of shoulder impingement issues.

I will take it out this weekend again for match play and see how it goes. The only thing I worry about is if I can play for long time given this is a 12+ oz racket.

I also want to mention that I was very impressed with the Signum PPP as well. This is the first time I used it and I am glad I have 3 more packs because it seems like TW cannot stock these fast enough.

Django
04-05-2006, 11:53 AM
I've been playing with the Gen2 for some time now, and believe that you'll find that although it's a 12-ounce racquet, it actually plays much lighter due to its very headlight balance. I agree that it's not as powerful as the T10 VE MP. But to me, it's the most comfortable Volkl since the C-10. (mine is strung much tighter than yours -- 57 pounds w/ 17g multifilament)

louis netman
04-05-2006, 11:59 AM
I've been playing with the Gen2 for some time now, and believe that you'll find that although it's a 12-ounce racquet, it actually plays much lighter due to its very headlight balance. I agree that it's not as powerful as the T10 VE MP. But to me, it's the most comfortable Volkl since the C-10. (mine is strung much tighter than yours -- 57 pounds w/ 17g multifilament)

I agree that the Gen 2 is definitely one of the most comfy frames out there, rivaling the C10 Pro...

Marius_Hancu
04-05-2006, 12:21 PM
re your probs, read:

Shoulder problems
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=833187

samster
04-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Thanks MH,

My shoulder is still intact for now.

I understand the recommended tension is 55-65 for Gen II but Signum recommended 10% drop in tension. I definitely agree with the 10% drop, otherwise the stringbed would be awfully stiff for me. If stringing with a multi or natural gut, I definitely would not string this low. The good thing about the Signum PPP is that it doesn't move at all, even at 50/49 lbs.

Django
04-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Recommended tension on mine is actually 50 to 60 pounds -- or, as Volkl likes to list it, 55+/-5 lbs.

samster
04-05-2006, 05:11 PM
Django,

Yes, you are correct. It is 55 +/- 5 lbs. I guess I should have strung it at even lower tension! :)

louis netman
04-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Thanks MH,

My shoulder is still intact for now.

I understand the recommended tension is 55-65 for Gen II but Signum recommended 10% drop in tension. I definitely agree with the 10% drop, otherwise the stringbed would be awfully stiff for me. If stringing with a multi or natural gut, I definitely would not string this low. The good thing about the Signum PPP is that it doesn't move at all, even at 50/49 lbs.

That's right. I strung one up below 55 with a gut hybrid and it had control problems that could not be solved with topspin...

vsdtrek
04-06-2006, 07:24 AM
Hi Samster,

I bought two of the Gen IIs from Bill and couldn't agree more on the condition - just fantastic. I have been using my two for the last few days and like the comfort. They also seem to have better pop on full swings vs my old 6.0 95s. I find that I just need to get the frame moving and let it spring off the frame rather than trying to muscle it. The only thing I notice is that on some volleys, they don't seem to have the put-away power and I sometimes need an extra shot. It may be due to their flex or maybe (more likely) it's just me needing to have a little more time to get used to them.

If you end up not liking your Gen II and end up selling it, please drop me a line at vsdtrek@yahoo.com as I probably would buy it from you.

V