PDA

View Full Version : Why is it called Super Grap?

FuZz_Da_AcE
04-05-2006, 03:51 AM
Why not super grip? just curious...

Askmeo88
04-05-2006, 04:51 AM
My guess is that Yonex is specifying a difference between replacement grips and overgrips. They would market a replacement grip as simply a "grip," and to avoid confusion, they would market an overgrip as a "grap."

cozmo5050
04-05-2006, 04:53 AM
My guess is that Yonex is specifying a difference between replacement grips and overgrips. They would market a replacement grip as simply a "grip," and to avoid confusion, they would market an overgrip as a "grap."

correct me if im wrong, but i could have sworn it used to be called "Super Grab"

pspcpog
04-05-2006, 05:03 AM
it's a combination of two words - grip and wrap.
therefore, grap

Stan
04-05-2006, 06:21 AM
Super Grip was already trademarked, they needed a name that they could own. Thus they made up a spelling. Sort of like the new Coke Blak. Was originally named Coke Black, but they couldn't trademark "black" so they went "Blak."

Ripper
04-05-2006, 07:16 AM
From my experience in other hobbies (import car racing and tuning), I can tell you that Japanese suck at putting English names to their products. However, who cares? They make some of the highest quality products in the world.

Freedom
04-05-2006, 11:19 AM

Overgrip.

Yonex SuperGrop?

New product, maybe? :cool:

cozmo5050
04-05-2006, 11:28 AM
therefore, grap

yeah, "grap" sounds so unnatural and grammatically incorrect. engrish.

louis netman
04-05-2006, 11:55 AM
Why not super grip? just curious...

"Grap" is a pseudonym with better trademark protection potential. The words "super" and "grip" are merely words in the English language and offer little, if any protection... Look at "Tournagrip" and not Tournament Grip....that also offers good protection...

Colpo
04-05-2006, 01:43 PM
You mean to tell me that nobody at Yonex said, "Wait - 'Grap' sounds too much like the American word 'crap' ... let's call it something else."? I thought this was The Information Age.

Reminds me of the Chevy Nova (No va=Spanish for doesn't go or work) snafu of years ago.

Grap's just an ugly word. GRAP!!!

LN_Dad
04-05-2006, 07:10 PM
therefore, grap
This is quite typical of Japanese marketing to play with and invent new words in English that Americans find weird but the above explanation does make a lot of sense.

MTChong
04-05-2006, 09:52 PM
therefore, grap

Ahh.. they should have opted, instead, for a combination of wrap and grip and made it wrip - pronounced much like the word, rip.

FuZz_Da_AcE
04-05-2006, 10:42 PM
You mean to tell me that nobody at Yonex said, "Wait - 'Grap' sounds too much like the American word 'crap' ... let's call it something else."? I thought this was The Information Age.

Reminds me of the Chevy Nova (No va=Spanish for doesn't go or work) snafu of years ago.

The best overgrip on the market: Yonex Super Crap! hahahahahaha:D

doriancito
04-06-2006, 06:48 PM
when talking about marketing yonex did a better job than wilson, you can ger easly confused witht he name of the wilson grip name such us wilson grip, grip pro, pro wilson, pro grip, well we all know which one we are referring to since we know about grips but hoe about an amateur? then yonex came up with the simple name super grap, which can be confused with super grip only those 2 and yes its true yonex's grips is a bit more tackeir

nViATi
04-07-2006, 05:57 AM

Well they have a line of shoes called "SHT"s

Ripper
04-07-2006, 06:14 AM
...and yes its true yonex's grips is a bit more tackeir

You just had to.

tennis_nerd22
04-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Well they have a line of shoes called "SHT"s

rofl sweeeet

tennis_nerd22
04-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Ahh.. they should have opted, instead, for a combination of wrap and grip and made it wrip - pronounced much like the word, rip.

ya yonex super wrip [rip] would've sounded a lot better IMO