PDA

View Full Version : Is this too good to be true?

johndagolfer
04-05-2006, 07:45 AM
I was on the auction site looking for a flexpoint instinct. it was listed at 120 with a option for best offer. I got a 20 dollar discount from what he's asking.

With all the talk about fakes racquets, I've gotten quite scared at what this person is offering. I've looked at his past sales and racquets selling for 120 having been opted down with best offer for 70 to 80 bux!! How can someone afford to be selling them for so cheap? Should I be worried. If/when I get my racquet(again a flexpoint instinct), what should I look for in conterfeits?

BTW this person has a +24000 rating with 99.3 +

Thanks,

John

dcreasy55
04-05-2006, 08:29 AM
I don't know about head, but on Yonex's website they posted pictures showing the differences in the way Yonex was printed on the racquet. If head has something like that, you could ask the seller for a picture of a certain part of the racquet.

nolatennis
04-05-2006, 10:15 AM
I have a similar situation with a Prince O3 white...glad to know I'm not the only one now wondering. By the way, what happened to that fake racquet thread...it was there one minute, now it's gone :confused: .

Tchocky
04-05-2006, 10:17 AM
They're probably stolen or he's very bad at math.

KFwinds
04-05-2006, 10:28 AM
I think you are safe - with the amount of transactions the seller has done (with close to 100% positive feedback), I would guess he/she is a reputable dealer. The feedback is what you should look at. Damn - this whole "fake" racquet thing is really causing people to be paranoid. I've bought and sold at least a few dozen racquets on that site without a bad transaction. Read the item descriptions and feedback carefully and you'll be fine!

jj300
04-05-2006, 01:55 PM
I will say it again that the ratings are no longer reliable ways to tell if the seller is legitimate or not. You can purchase **** id's with hundreds of positive feedbacks. Last 2 weeks there have been tons of fake **** messages going around to try and get people sign in info so they can hack the account. I wouldn't be suprised if there are a lot of fake auctions right now. When you get a threating e-mail from a person like "I will report you" click on "Report Abuse" in the e-mail and look at the subject, when I tried it, it said "see if you can get it...merry christmas..ha..merry" instead of the "I will report you." Ask the person for a lot of pics and ask questions, if he refuses move on, if he is patient and willing to help he is probably legit

tennis_nerd22
04-05-2006, 03:21 PM
They're probably stolen or he's very bad at math.

hahaha "bad at math" lmao

billyboybeacon
04-05-2006, 06:51 PM
I would never buy a new racket on e-***...you are playing against the house...buy used or new from this forum

pached
04-05-2006, 06:56 PM
As long as the seller's feedback is good, I'm sure that he/she will be willing to negotiate and fix any problems, should any arise from a fake racquet that was unknowingly sold. As for the price, my friend was able to pick up a Flexpoint Instinct for less than that off of the auction site, so perhaps these sellers manage to get the racquets super cheap from somewhere.

johndagolfer
04-05-2006, 08:42 PM
ACK! that site just removed the auction completely! They said that the buyer, with +28000 feedback has done something wrong, so they quashed the auction! Unfortunately I already sent and e check through. I am so glad it hasn't cleared

Steve Huff
04-05-2006, 09:54 PM
My bet is that they are demo's. Prince has a very attractive rate for dealers to buy demo's.