PDA

View Full Version : Best sunglasses for tennis?

GeauxTigers
04-05-2006, 02:59 PM
Hi folks,

What are your recommendations for good sunglasses for tennis?
I got some of the Bolle's but they were expensive junk which fell apart immediately.

So then, Nike? Oakley? what say you? Thanks.

Cruzer
04-05-2006, 03:33 PM
I like the Oakley Pro M frames because of the following.

1. I like the hingless design. I find there is no slippage at all when wearing them.

2. You can get a variety of lens with different shapes and colors.

They are comparatively more expensive than other sunglasses that could be used for tennis.

thomas martinez
04-05-2006, 03:42 PM
I second the Oakley. Though I've long ditched my M frames years ago. I've gone through countless styles, eye jackets, sub zeros, trench coats, plates, and now their newest the other model which allows interchangable lenses, forgot which name it is. I always go with the ones that allow either 5-10% whatever it is in. I cannot wear anythign else and still not get blinded by the sun. Unfortunately in my family, sensitivity to brightness runs in it. I also am a HUGE fan of how much UV they block out as well.

Tom

LN_Dad
04-05-2006, 08:07 PM
I use Oakley Half Jacket.

Sixpointone
04-06-2006, 04:53 AM
Oakley Pro M Frame.

cozmo5050
04-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Maui Jim, titanium sport. rose-colored lens.

progman_2000
04-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Maui Jim, titanium sport. rose-colored lens.

I second the Maui Jim's, although ideally I try not to wear anything at all.

thirdandlong15
04-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Instead of sunglasses you could always try out Nike's new alternative to sunglasses. Check em out. http://www.nike.com/nikevision/main.html#section=product&subSection=product_maxsight

Final_Match_Point
04-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Well i dont reccomend wearing contacts, especially if you have sensitive eyes. Its safer in the long run to just wear glasses(transition lenses) or sunglasses

3_d
04-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Not sure what your looking for to be specific to tennis, but check out the
Serengeti line of sunglasses. I don't wear sunglasses when I play tennis or golf, but I've worn these for everything else for eighteen years and I wouldn't wear anything else.

cozmo5050
04-07-2006, 12:22 AM
I second the Maui Jim's, although ideally I try not to wear anything at all.

i cannot stress how good these sunglasses are. do yourself a favor and atleast try them on. Titanium, HINGE-LESS, 9-coat UV lens, ultra-light. MauiJim has a patent on this titanium hingeless design.

i own both the smoke lens and the rose lens.

The rose lens really helps for golf/tennis.

retail goes for about $250-300, but u can find them cheaper with some research. (i think Costco even carries them....)
MauiJim has excellent, excellent customer service.

http://www.mauijim.com/mjweb/public/catalog/consumer_collection_titanium_results.jsp

EclipseRydr97
04-07-2006, 12:38 AM
I use Oakley Half jackets too. As they get older, they may start to slip off your nose.

BreakPoint
04-07-2006, 01:36 AM
I have several pairs of Nikes with the plastic frames and lenses and the ventilated rubber nose bridges that I use for tennis. They are the best and of high quality and are long lasting. The vision out of them is superb. I love them and wear them for all my daytime matches.

slice bh compliment
04-07-2006, 01:36 AM
I do not think there is such a thing. For skiing, sure. Driving at sunset or sunrise, yeah. But tennis? Nah.

I can see why a lot of you teaching pros would use 'em. Long term exposure can't be good for the eyes. But a player who is only out there 10 to 15 hours a week... please.

Sixpointone
04-07-2006, 08:59 AM
As an FYI, the main reason I might wear Sunglasses is different than the normal user. In fact often times I might just wear Clear lenses.

In short, in 2000, I had a Corneal Transplant. As such I wear them moreso for protection of my current eyesight, more so than for blocking the Sun's Rays.

MegacedU
04-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Maui Jims. They're expensive as all hell, but they'll last you awhile.

Waimea_Boy
04-07-2006, 09:19 AM
Instead of sunglasses you could always try out Nike's new alternative to sunglasses. Check em out. http://www.nike.com/nikevision/main.html#section=product&subSection=product_maxsight

Horrible product. You've obviously never worn them for tennis. The lenses make everything white appear yellow (to reduce glare) which is awful for tennis. The lines and net tape all become nearly the same color as the ball. I tested a pair and would never recommend them for tennis.

Ronaldo
04-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Hi folks,

I got some of the Bolle's but they were expensive junk which fell apart immediately.

Did you try the Bolle Parole Competivision glasses with the blue lens?

theace21
04-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Oakley Pro M Frame - - -

AR15
04-07-2006, 12:41 PM
many golfers won't wear sunglasses with polarized lenses because they can distort distance perception and make greens harder to read.

Does anyone know of such problems with polarized lenses and tennis?

LN_Dad
04-07-2006, 01:06 PM
I do not think there is such a thing. For skiing, sure. Driving at sunset or sunrise, yeah. But tennis? Nah.

I can see why a lot of you teaching pros would use 'em. Long term exposure can't be good for the eyes. But a player who is only out there 10 to 15 hours a week... please.
In the Socal summer it's nice to have shades when I play. May be you live in an area that's always cloudy and gray?

GeauxTigers
04-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Did you try the Bolle Parole Competivision glasses with the blue lens?

Those were the Bolle's I had. The lenses work great, but the frames were garbage. The completely fell apart in about 2 months, and that is with light, light use.

slice bh compliment
04-07-2006, 04:49 PM
In the Socal summer it's nice to have shades when I play. May be you live in an area that's always cloudy and gray?

Dear LN Dad from sunny SoCal,
Hi. Sorry. I did not write that very clearly.

The reason I do not use shades is not that is it cloudy or gray here. Not usually at least. I was just speaking from a performance standpoint (I see the ball best without shades on)....while throwing in a thought about sun protection not being absolutely critical for a player like myself who is not out in the sun for 10 hours per day like a lot of coaches must be. I only play outdoors 10 to 15 hours per week.

Man, I once saw something foreboding on the :rolleyes: FEAR and MARKETING;) segment of the local news about sun damage to skin and eyes. Hopefully I am not doing any damage to my eyes. Maybe you experts know something about this?

LN_Dad
04-07-2006, 07:13 PM

The reason I do not use shades is not that is it cloudy or gray here. Not usually at least. I was just speaking from a performance standpoint (I see the ball best without shades on)....while throwing in a thought about sun protection not being absolutely critical for a player like myself who is not out in the sun for 10 hours per day like a lot of coaches must be. I only play outdoors 10 to 15 hours per week.

Man, I once saw something foreboding on the :rolleyes: FEAR and MARKETING;) segment of the local news about sun damage to skin and eyes. Hopefully I am not doing any damage to my eyes. Maybe you experts know something about this?
10 to 15 hrs a week is a lot if the sun is out. My son's coach always wears long sleeve shirts, capri pants, sunglasses and a hat being a light skin swedish guy. It's always a good idea to get lenses with UV protection. Better safe than sorry....
oh, I almost forgot about the sweatproof spf 30 sunblock. You don't want to look like a 50yr old guy when you're only 35.

Aeropro joe
04-07-2006, 07:48 PM
i wear oakley's, they dont fog up on me when i sweat.

GeauxTigers
04-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Maui Jims today. Me likey.

MegacedU
04-08-2006, 05:38 PM
Maui Jims today. Me likey.
;) You, my dear, have good taste.

GeauxTigers
04-09-2006, 11:28 AM
I had good advice from an expert.;)

NoBadMojo
04-09-2006, 12:10 PM
as a along time teaching pro, i have seen fellow TP's actually losing their vision from the long term exposure of teaching in the sun, along with skin cancer, bad backs, hips, knees, etc. especially those with lighter coloured eyes as those seem most sensitive to light. I've been guarding a pair of Serengheti Huracani's (sp?) for a few years..they've got a great lens...double gradient coated and substantial and dont cost a fortune ..they are semi wraps..dont know if they still make them..they are also good in ambient light and somehow the images are even brighter and more saturated but sans all the glare.

tonysk83
04-09-2006, 01:00 PM

Have you ever thought people might just want something that can simply keep the sun out of their eyes, not matter how much or long they play.

slice bh compliment
04-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Have you ever thought people might just want something that can simply keep the sun out of their eyes, not matter how much or long they play.

Is that a question? Rhetorical?

donnyz89
04-09-2006, 05:30 PM
hey, they're your eyes. If you don't care about the sun damaging your vision, we don't care.

Besides, there is always the hat. I would just wear a hat when the sun is high in the sky. again... I think sunglasses make you look like a queer. For high school tennis, if I see someone wearing sunglasses, I immediately think they suck, and they usually are. No serious match players wear sun glasses. if you are out hitting, i guess its ok if you dont care how you look.

serveitup911
04-09-2006, 05:44 PM
I wear Maui Jim's when the sun is in a bad position. It is amazing what a difference the polarized sunglasses make - they do wonders for glare and really help my vision in the bright sun.

Donny, you're just an idiot. I wore sunglasses in high school and I'm a pretty good player. If you are good enough, you let your racket do the talking and don't care what other people think about you.

MegacedU
04-09-2006, 06:50 PM
I wear Maui Jim's when the sun is in a bad position. It is amazing what a difference the polarized sunglasses make - they do wonders for glare and really help my vision in the bright sun.

Donny, you're just an idiot. I wore sunglasses in high school and I'm a pretty good player. If you are good enough, you let your racket do the talking and don't care what other people think about you.
Maui Jim's are seriously awesome. I used to take my brother's all the time. They really do help concentration.

Lol, I'm a decent player too, and it's not uncommon to see me in sunglasses.

donnyz89
04-09-2006, 08:09 PM

maybe I am, but I dont want to look like one. how many pros out there do you see wearing those sun glasses? didnt Arnaud Clement wear them once? and the commentators made fun of him... dont care what other people think about you? I bet you thought differently in highschool. Everyone cares what other people thought.

d_frank
04-09-2006, 08:17 PM
maybe I am, but I dont want to look like one. how many pros out there do you see wearing those sun glasses? didnt Arnaud Clement wear them once? and the commentators made fun of him... dont care what other people think about you? I bet you thought differently in highschool. Everyone cares what other people thought.
Are you pro? perhaps you should go buy some gucci suits and a platinum racquet: all the players will envy your style, but who cares if you lose? you are the best looking.

seriously, id rather be a great player whos ugly than a ****** player who's goodlooking.

or, somewhere in between :)

PBODY99
04-09-2006, 08:32 PM
Hi folks,

I have had good luck with the BOLLE Parole with the interchangable lens. True you will need to replace the earpieces and nose piece but as a RX wearer, they are much cheaper than the other models mentioned. Try to find the Bike multi-lens< clear, dark gray,brown and rose>:cool: offering as the Comp vision lens is not a good choice if you only have one set of lens.

As a 40 veteran of this game, I've worn RXSunglasses for 35 years on the court, try them your eyes will thank you as the UV expose continues to climb.

GeauxTigers
04-10-2006, 07:47 AM
personally, I dont and would never wear sunglasses... it really makes you look like a queer imo.

So, does dragging your knuckles affect your strokes?

slice bh compliment
04-10-2006, 08:58 AM

Seemed to work well for a certain Pete Sampras!

cozmo5050
04-14-2006, 08:52 PM

"dragging your knuckles" = long arms = monkey-like = stupid ? :p

anyways, i think u made an excellent choice with the Maui Jims.
Top-notch quality.

cozmo5050
04-14-2006, 08:55 PM
I had good advice from an expert.;)

thank you sir.

MegacedU
04-14-2006, 09:05 PM
thank you sir.
Lol, Maybe I'm self-absorbed, but I think that was for me.

cozmo5050
04-14-2006, 09:39 PM
Lol, Maybe I'm self-absorbed, but I think that was for me.

it was for me.

tonysk83
04-14-2006, 10:13 PM
I just bought a pair of Nike V Carbon sunglasses on ****. They were a reasonable price, 63 dollars after shipping. They come with a dark lenses and a light one which is nice. From everything I have seen they seem like great glasses. I like the frameless style around the lense, easier to see out of for sports, also am going to use them a lot this summer in baseball.

http://images.nike.com/is/image/DotCom/EV0158_001_A?$THB$

MegacedU
04-15-2006, 03:00 PM
it was for me.
Nope nope, look at the subject like of that post. Came right after I complimented him about having good taste. It was for me, but no big deal.

cozmo5050
04-15-2006, 10:04 PM
Nope nope, look at the subject like of that post. Came right after I complimented him about having good taste. It was for me, but no big deal.

it's alright, ill let u have it this time.

anyways, hows tennis in NY? i have a friend there from Loo-ong Ah-len. I love your iced teas.:mrgreen:

jaykay
04-16-2006, 08:11 AM
I am aware that I am repeating this post from a diff thread, but am consciously doing so in the hope that repeating the post in this forum might elicit a response.

Here goes ---

I am a high myopic (-5 diopters) with astigmatism too... yep, am the classic nerd. I recently decided to try toric contact lenses under the assumption that they'll help in better peripheral vision while on the tennis court. I am still in the process of adjusting to the lens.

Q1 - Does anybody use toric lenses and has it improved clarity of vision, depth perception etc while on the tennis court?

When I used to wear eyeglasses, they used to be of the photochromic variety, so my eyeglasses used to double up as shades on sunny days on the tennis court. I am now experimenting with sunglasses and am trying out a $10 cheapo wrap-around sporty pair of sunglasses. Somehow, it appears that my depth perception is way off and I lost 6-0, 6-1 y.day to a tennis buddy with who I am equally matched.

Q2 - Is there some brand/model of sunglasses which are better for racquet sports such as tennis, whr hand-eye coordination is of paramount importance? They need to be sturdy, provide the right kind of protection (block UV-A, UV-B and all that stuff), wrap around the eyes and not compromise on quality of vision. What should I look for in selecting a pair of sports sunglasses (e.g. are polarized lens in the sunglasses important)? Bolle, Oakley, etc or any equivalent brand is fine.

Pls share your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
jaykay.

Zen Wisdom of the Day: "There are only two four letter words that are offensive to men -'don't' and 'stop', unless they are used together == 'don't stop'!"

Shades
04-16-2006, 09:28 AM
my glasses are totally not meant for tennis but they still work really well b/c they are dark on the upper lens and lighter at the lower part, I have a pair of Electric Visual Ec/Dc's. I was gonna buy some oakleys but im short on cash

Eviscerator
04-16-2006, 03:08 PM
Oakley M Frames with a Polarized lens is the best that I've used.

http://oakley.com/brochures/eyewear/m_frame/

The frames hug your face and will not come off even if you try to shake your head from side to side. The Polarized lens is very expensive ($150 alone), but it makes a huge difference over regular lenses.

Saito
04-16-2006, 03:16 PM
I use my Oakley Juliets while playing... they don't slide off and they do wonders when the sun is out.

jaykay
04-16-2006, 03:17 PM
Oakley M Frames with a Polarized lens is the best that I've used.

http://oakley.com/brochures/eyewear/m_frame/

The frames hug your face and will not come off even if you try to shake your head from side to side. The Polarized lens is very expensive ($150 alone), but it makes a huge difference over regular lenses.

Polarized = better for tennis? I know that it reduces glare dramatically and skiiers/surfers swear by this feature. But is it important and useful on the tennis court?

I am in the market to buy a pair of sunglasses and I'd value your opinion in this matter.

Thanks.

MegacedU
04-16-2006, 05:40 PM
it's alright, ill let u have it this time.

anyways, hows tennis in NY? i have a friend there from Loo-ong Ah-len. I love your iced teas.:mrgreen:
Tennis in NY is fabulous. Long Island might as well be another state. Lol. I have a lot of friends there too. I love them all and hate their iced teas. A good way to black out.

Head_Rocketman
04-16-2006, 07:12 PM
Why wear glasses? Is that for competitive play or casual? haha would think that they'd only get in the way.

tonysk83
04-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Well, it doesn't matter if it is just casual play, having to serve with the sun in your eyes sucks.

Eviscerator
04-16-2006, 09:25 PM
Polarized = better for tennis? I know that it reduces glare dramatically and skiiers/surfers swear by this feature. But is it important and useful on the tennis court?

I am in the market to buy a pair of sunglasses and I'd value your opinion in this matter.

Thanks.

In my opinion they do help in tennis on sunny days without being specifically made for tennis. The Bolle's for example with the tint that is suppose to enhance the yellow of the ball did not make a huge difference when I tried them. At first they do seem to make the ball more noticeable, but they do little to help on sunny days. Being in south Florida, the sunlight can be very intense, so playing during those days requires a quality pair of sunglasses. That said, you are better off not wearing sunglasses if you can help it. Only one pro that was in the top 10 that I know of wears sunglasses (Arnaud Clement) and they are prescription.

The visual distortion is reduced with higher quality glasses and the optics with the polarized lens in bright light are better than any other sunglasses I've tried. However I only wear them on the brightest of days.

SwissServe
04-17-2006, 02:23 AM
I use Oakley Half Jacket for biking, I might try on court... (interchangeable lenses, perfect for different light conditions and they don't fog up while sweating).

Off-court: Electric (don't know which type)

jaykay
04-17-2006, 05:44 AM
In my opinion they do help in tennis on sunny days without being specifically made for tennis. The Bolle's for example with the tint that is suppose to enhance the yellow of the ball did not make a huge difference when I tried them. At first they do seem to make the ball more noticeable, but they do little to help on sunny days. Being in south Florida, the sunlight can be very intense, so playing during those days requires a quality pair of sunglasses. That said, you are better off not wearing sunglasses if you can help it. Only one pro that was in the top 10 that I know of wears sunglasses (Arnaud Clement) and they are prescription.

The visual distortion is reduced with higher quality glasses and the optics with the polarized lens in bright light are better than any other sunglasses I've tried. However I only wear them on the brightest of days.

Thanks Eviscerator. This does indeed help...

GeauxTigers
04-17-2006, 12:59 PM

I do appreciate all the replies, though.

Flattery will get you everywhere, by the way.:p

monologuist
04-17-2006, 05:15 PM
does anyone know if the Bolle Competivision sunglasses with the blue lenses do a good job of actually protecting your eyes from UV? I know they help you see the ball, and the depth perception is much better than normal sunglasses, but I've always wondered if they were protecting my eyes enough from the sun...

cozmo5050
04-18-2006, 09:45 PM

thanks.

MegacedU
04-23-2006, 01:08 PM

Aww well that's good to know!

guedoguedo
06-29-2006, 08:28 PM
Question on this..i put on some kenneth cole sunglasses i had (amber color) and it made it harder to see the ball, depth perception was really weird. Is this just do to them being a cheap lense? ($35 glasses)

slice bh compliment
06-29-2006, 08:32 PM
'Distortion Free'. I think that is supposed to be key.

Somethin' in the way
they grind the glass.
It makes a difference.

JerodT
06-29-2006, 09:35 PM
I use the Oakley Juliet, when I use sunglasses. They're kinda pricey $345 with the polarized lens. They're light and don't distort colors and they have 100% UV protection.

hondas2k
06-29-2006, 10:25 PM
Oakley Straight Jacket Polished Aluminum / Fire

ThePlungerMan
06-29-2006, 11:27 PM
I have some Maui Jims. I love them. They are super light and dont slip a bit. Great lens. I chose the lighter lens, for fast moving sports. I feel like i dont have any sunglsses on except there is no glare from the sun. You can pick out the ball as it nears the sun from a lob. Would repeat purchase in a heart beat.

rasajadad
06-30-2006, 01:33 AM
I use these. They're phenomenal! I'd compare the sight quality to wearing Bolle Competivision. Also freaks out opponents (and my kids) because it makes your pupils look orangish.

On the minus side- Can't use them indoors (unless the place is EXTREMELY well lit.) Can't drive the car with them after dusk.

dragonxking
06-30-2006, 11:34 AM
i say the Louis Vuitton Millionaire Sunglasses

superstition
08-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Hahaha. Genius!

Tallahassee_Technifibre
08-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Costas..... They are not just for fishing anymore.

Il Mostro
08-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Costas..... They are not just for fishing anymore.

These are *very* cool shades IMO. I am planning on trying a pair to replace my favorite Persol model, which is apparently no longer in production. I try to avoid sunglasses for tennis though.

TonyB
08-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Oakley Half Jacket XLJ are very good. Very comfortable, don't slip, and they cover your entire field of view without distortion.

A winner in my book.

crystal_clear
11-10-2008, 07:27 AM
i cannot stress how good these sunglasses are. do yourself a favor and atleast try them on. Titanium, HINGE-LESS, 9-coat UV lens, ultra-light. MauiJim has a patent on this titanium hingeless design.

i own both the smoke lens and the rose lens.

The rose lens really helps for golf/tennis.

retail goes for about $250-300, but u can find them cheaper with some research. (i think Costco even carries them....)
MauiJim has excellent, excellent customer service.

http://www.mauijim.com/mjweb/public/catalog/consumer_collection_titanium_results.jsp

Hi cozmo5050, will the sunglasses be easy to fall off when playing tennis?
I like this one in rose color

http://www.mauijim.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product3_10101_10001_10046_-1_11101_11101_Y__3_3_

The store sells at $280 and the **** only $129. Does anyone get from ****? Are they real? Thank you in advance.

Raphael
11-10-2008, 09:02 AM
I wear Oakley Pro M frames and love them. The replaceable lenses are very useful too.

miraq
11-11-2008, 03:53 PM
I use Smith Factors, not too expensive, comes with hardshell case and 3 sets of lenses, very versatile all for about $100.

crystal_clear
02-02-2009, 10:51 AM
I bought a pair Mauri Jim from E bay at the cost of $109 US and I brought it to Mauri Jim office in Toronto to adjust the nosepads. I am happy that it is a real one.

scraps234
02-03-2009, 06:18 AM
oakley half jacket and pro m frame are what im hearing also mauri jim

Bud
02-03-2009, 11:43 AM
I bought a pair Mauri Jim from E bay at the cost of $109 US and I brought it to Mauri Jim office in Toronto to adjust the nosepads. I am happy that it is a real one.

oakley half jacket and pro m frame are what im hearing also mauri jim

Just be sure you don't mistakenly buy Mauri Povich sunglasses :oops:

BTW, it's Maui Jim (as in the island of Maui, HI)

marcb
02-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Those were the Bolle's I had. The lenses work great, but the frames were garbage. The completely fell apart in about 2 months, and that is with light, light use.

I think Bolle has quality control issues. I have the same model as you and worn for them 2 seasons. They are in perfect condition although I do keep them in their case 100% of the time. My friend bought some at the same store at the same time and the nose piece was badly molded so that it has a sharp ridge and didn't fit right. Maybe try to return them for replacement or some other recompense? I really like the edge that competivision lenses provide on very bright days.

I also have a pair of maui jims for every day use and sometimes wear them while playing. Awesome and worth the price.

crystal_clear
02-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Just be sure you don't mistakenly buy Mauri Povich sunglasses :oops:

BTW, it's Maui Jim (as in the island of Maui, HI)
I double checked it and it is Maui Jim. Thanks.

charliefedererer
03-05-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm not at all sure that there is one brand that is better for tennis than another. What's more important is the color and shape of the lens. Playing for years on courts that have terrible glare (off a parking lot and with no shade), I have come to really appreciate the polarized sandstone lens that is available in many Bolle and Serengeti models. The polarization cuts the glare. The "sandstone" color is a brown lens that provides better contrast than a grey or green lens. That is especially true for picking up an optic green tennis ball. Dark grey and green just make everything look...well, darker. I think the sandstone lens makes the ball "pop out" from the background even better than the "competivision lens" from Bolle (it makes the backsground look so washed out that it makes tennis seem dull).
The other characteristic of a good pair of tennis sunglasses is that it has to keep light/glare from getting in around the edges of the frame, especially the sides and top, but even the bottom. The Aruba Drivr P Sunglasses from Tennis Warehouse looks like it would meet all these criteria, but I haven't used this particular model. For the Oakley and Maui
Jim fans out there, I'll bet they have good wraparound frames and polarized brown lenses as well.
If you can't see the ball well, it should not be a surprise if its harder to hit it.

GPB
03-06-2009, 07:31 AM
I have some Maui Jim's. The Makaha's (http://www.mauijim.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product3_10101_10001_10227_-1_10105_10105_N__2_2_1). I initially bought the amber color frames, from the saleswoman's suggestion that I might like it for tennis. But I found that the amber color seemed to just blend the ball in with the rest of the surroundings.

I traded the frames for a black pair, which doesn't help pop the ball out, but does help with the harsh sun. I have some problems with my depth perception with them, though.

What are the MJ rose lenses like?

bad_call
03-06-2009, 08:41 AM
I'm not at all sure that there is one brand that is better for tennis than another. What's more important is the color and shape of the lens. Playing for years on courts that have terrible glare (off a parking lot and with no shade), I have come to really appreciate the polarized sandstone lens that is available in many Bolle and Serengeti models. The polarization cuts the glare. The "sandstone" color is a brown lens that provides better contrast than a grey or green lens. That is especially true for picking up an optic green tennis ball. Dark grey and green just make everything look...well, darker. I think the sandstone lens makes the ball "pop out" from the background even better than the "competivision lens" from Bolle (it makes the backsground look so washed out that it makes tennis seem dull).
The other characteristic of a good pair of tennis sunglasses is that it has to keep light/glare from getting in around the edges of the frame, especially the sides and top, but even the bottom. The Aruba Drivr P Sunglasses from Tennis Warehouse looks like it would meet all these criteria, but I haven't used this particular model. For the Oakley and Maui
Jim fans out there, I'll bet they have good wraparound frames and polarized brown lenses as well.
If you can't see the ball well, it should not be a surprise if its harder to hit it.

just got a pair of these sandstone lens glasses. definitely brighter than previous amber lens glasses.

charliefedererer
03-06-2009, 09:10 AM
I have some Maui Jim's. The Makaha's (http://www.mauijim.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product3_10101_10001_10227_-1_10105_10105_N__2_2_1)I initially bought the amber color frames, from the saleswoman's suggestion that I might like it for tennis. But I found that the amber color seemed to just blend the ball in with the rest of the surroundings.

I traded the frames for a black pair, which doesn't help pop the ball out, but does help with the harsh sun. I have some problems with my depth perception with them, though.

What are the MJ rose lenses like?
GPB,
I was surprised you traded your "amber" color frames in for a black pair of Maui Jim's. But just for the heck of it I clicked on the shortcut in your post for The Makaha's.
Interestingly, the bronze color of their lens, at least on their website, has a lot more dark pigment in it, giving it a dark brown look, definitely darker than the yellow-brown look of the the Bolle polarized sandstone lens and Serengeti polarmax drivers lens (same parent company/different name for the same lens) that I own. Also the amount of light transmission through your Makaha lenses is rated as less than that tranmitted through the Bolle/Serengeti lens.
In my post above, I stated that the brand/individual lens likely does not make a difference. But just maybe it does.
The value of the polarized high contrast amber lens seems to be greatest when hitting into the sun when the shadow side of the ball makes it look like a black blob coming at me with dark grey lenses. With my sunglasses, it seems to have definition and color that lets me read the spin and allows me to focus on it better, with better depth perception.
Anyway... just my opinion.

maximo
03-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Oakley make the best sport sunglasses.

GPB
03-06-2009, 10:30 AM
GPB,
I was surprised you traded your "amber" color frames in for a black pair of Maui Jim's. But just for the heck of it I clicked on the shortcut in your post for The Makaha's.
Interestingly, the bronze color of their lens, at least on their website, has a lot more dark pigment in it, giving it a dark brown look, definitely darker than the yellow-brown look of the the Bolle polarized sandstone lens and Serengeti polarmax drivers lens (same parent company/different name for the same lens) that I own. Also the amount of light transmission through your Makaha lenses is rated as less than that tranmitted through the Bolle/Serengeti lens.
In my post above, I stated that the brand/individual lens likely does not make a difference. But just maybe it does.
The value of the polarized high contrast amber lens seems to be greatest when hitting into the sun when the shadow side of the ball makes it look like a black blob coming at me with dark grey lenses. With my sunglasses, it seems to have definition and color that lets me read the spin and allows me to focus on it better, with better depth perception.
Anyway... just my opinion.

Well that's just it... I'm not a big fan of the black ones for tennis, either. When you wrote the bolded part above, which MJ color were you talking about?

matchpoints
03-06-2009, 11:25 AM
as a along time teaching pro, i have seen fellow TP's actually losing their vision from the long term exposure of teaching in the sun, along with skin cancer, bad backs, hips, knees, etc. especially those with lighter coloured eyes as those seem most sensitive to light. I've been guarding a pair of Serengheti Huracani's (sp?) for a few years..they've got a great lens...double gradient coated and substantial and dont cost a fortune ..they are semi wraps..dont know if they still make them..they are also good in ambient light and somehow the images are even brighter and more saturated but sans all the glare.

I recently had gotten some Ray Bans (Polarized) and a week later they got stolen! I'm thinking about getting Serengeti's this time and ALWAYS locking my car no matter where I park.

I just looked at the Serengeti Stratus Titanium out of the 2004 catalog and they look very similar to the Maui Jim Wailea. Even the current Serengeti 6886 Pileus look similar to the Maui's. I wonder what the weight is like. I think I'm going to try out some Serengeti with Polarmax Rose Lenses that are on sale right now (Vialone $67.05, Roggia $69.95, Ramone $103.99, Palma $104.95). It's hard for me to spend another $150 that I did on the Ray Bans.

What do you guys make of this. "The Serengeti 555 nm gray/green lenses maximizes yellow and green light transmission. This gives you an incredibly accurate view of the world. Bright light conditions are no problem. The darkest lens for the brightest light. " I wonder if that would be good for teaching or the Rose ones.

Any oppositions to Serengeti brand?
Cheers

crystal_clear
03-06-2009, 12:28 PM
What are the MJ rose lenses like?I haven’t worn my rose MJ play tennis yet. I will let you know when I play outdoor tennis in May.

GPB
03-06-2009, 01:02 PM
I haven’t worn my rose MJ play tennis yet. I will let you know when I play outdoor tennis in May.

I'll be looking for your report. Or I'll try them for myself... who knows!

stormholloway
03-06-2009, 02:12 PM
So which shades are the best in terms of not distorting the image? This is my biggest issue.

Jaewonnie
03-06-2009, 04:48 PM
pink shutter frames :)

charliefedererer
03-07-2009, 06:17 AM
So which shades are the best in terms of not distorting the image? This is my biggest issue.

Oakley has a website that has an interesting comparison beween their lenses and about 8 other lens manufacturers. It is under technology/lens. They show a grid pattern with a picture taken through their lenses that is clear, but that is blurred in pictures through their various competitors lenses.
The only prolblem is that I'm not sure how valid this is for tennis players. I've been using the Bolle lenses and find them perfectly clear.
Looking back on many of the posts, it seems another big question is what lens color is best.
In my opinion it is the polarized sandstone that is available in the bolle parole and vigilante models (as well as many other bolle and serengeti models). These lenses are not so dark that they prevent you from seeing the spin on the ball coming from in back of the sun when returning, and yet are dark enough to serve a ball tossed right into the sun. They are the color that just about every manufacturer agrees provides for "high contrast".
But the courts where I play may have a different background and different shading than others have.
So here is my suggestion: Buy a pair of Bolle parole or vigilante sunglasses that have easy snap in/out lenses. Tennis Warehouse has a pair with both the ''competivision" teal and a replacement grey lens for $80. (There are plenty other online and "brick and mortar" stores that sell them.) Online you can google for bolle replacement lenses and find at least 8 types of replacement lenses for $24-65. Try out some different lenses and see what lens you think is best. My bolle frames are very tough, and I like the fact I can replace the lenses when I inevitably scratch them.

pmacino
03-07-2009, 09:09 AM
Oakley has a website that has an interesting comparison beween their lenses and about 8 other lens manufacturers. It is under technology/lens. They show a grid pattern with a picture taken through their lenses that is clear, but that is blurred in pictures through their various competitors lenses.
The only prolblem is that I'm not sure how valid this is for tennis players.

I use the Oakley Flak Jacket XLJ. I picked them up through the their custom shop with three different lenses. 2 levels of rose colored and one deep amber/brown. (G30 Iridium / G20 Black Iridium, Gold Iridium)

The Flak Jacket XLJs are part of their HDO (High Definition Optic) line, which implement a wrap around design, while not being over the top design wise and suitable for everyday use/driving...I can say that there is no distortion in the corners. I specifically looked for this prior to purchase. They also do a great job of sealing light out from the side and corners.

They are currently the sunglasses for Major League Baseball...another sport where distortion matters for timing precision.

Thud and blunder
03-09-2009, 05:49 AM
Thanks, pmacino, good info. I'm going to try your setup; sounds like just what I'm looking for.

athiker
12-14-2009, 01:21 PM
pmacino...what lenses did you find you like to play with the best?

Kunohara
12-15-2009, 12:32 PM
I still rock my Bolle Vigilante, have for years, and the frame is still perfect.

Don't Let It Bounce
12-15-2009, 03:31 PM
... I think I'm going to try out some Serengeti with Polarmax Rose Lenses that are on sale right now (Vialone $67.05, Roggia $69.95, Ramone $103.99, Palma $104.95). It's hard for me to spend another $150 that I did on the Ray Bans.

What do you guys make of this. "The Serengeti 555 nm gray/green lenses maximizes yellow and green light transmission. This gives you an incredibly accurate view of the world. Bright light conditions are no problem. The darkest lens for the brightest light. " I wonder if that would be good for teaching or the Rose ones...I like rose for teaching: the glare reduction is sufficient for comfort, ball contrast is good, and students can still see your eyes (facilitates communication).

I have a pair of Maui Jims that I still love after more than a decade, most of it teaching in the tropics. Once, teaching in SE Asia, when I broke the frame (my fault, not a defect), MJ's Australia office replaced the frame for a minimal fee so I wouldn't have to buy a new pair.

mawashi
12-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Great thread as I'm also considering getting a sturdy pair with replaceable lenses for tennis n sports wear.

My eyes are very sensitive n with every pair I've tried from Oakleys polarized & non-polarized, nike, ray bans etc all have the same problem... refraction causes me to see things differently. Even while climbing stairs, this effect is disconcerting.

What glasses have the most true vision?

Thanks

mawashi

mark999
12-16-2009, 11:52 AM
native eyewear makes some really nice sunglasses with interchangeable lenses. great deals available especially on closeouts. life time warranty.

athiker
12-17-2009, 10:00 AM
mawashi...Oakley makes a big deal out of having both lenses cut from a single piece of material and optically tuned and shaped to maximize focus, but I don't really know if that's just marketing. They have a mobile unit that I read about that travels around doing lab demos and focus is one of the demos.

Warning...book ahead! Almost everyone seems to like their sunglasses from any of the top mfgs it seems. I've narrowed my search down to the Oakley Half Jacket XLJs. While I preferred the styling of the Flak Jackets, the frames were a bit loose on me whereas the Half Jackets seemed perfect.

Anyway, I'd love some more feedback on lens color and polarized or not. It seems sandstone/amber/rose are popular and the Bolle tennis specific are blue.

Oakley has a fishing specific polarized lens called Shallow Blue Polarized with 20% light transmission. The also have a couple of rose tinted called G30 and G30 Black Iridium. Their Iridium coating is supposed to reduce glare, but is not polarization. These let 30% and 25% light through.

Finally, they have the VR28, V28 Black Iridium and VR28 Polarized. Light transmission is 28%, 18% and 16%. I'm not sure what the tone is, I can't find them in person. The website says they filter blue light.

I do some boating so I'm tending toward a polarized pair, but Sam Stosur is the only pro tennis player that I can find the actual lens they wear. She evidently typically wears the VR28 Black Iridium which is NOT polarized. I would thinks she has tried them all.

Final thought, I don't play w/ sunglasses at all now, so I know I don't want a dark lens, I just want to see a little better facing the sun and protect my eyes from UV.

Thoughts on colors? Polarization? Experience with any of the lenses mentioned? Thanks.

ace18
12-17-2009, 12:26 PM
I was at a tournament and there was a guy who was selling glasses by a company called Solar Bat, solarbat.com. I ended up buying a pair, Noctular AL NZ. I have no complaints thus far, they were about 125 bucks.

mawashi
12-17-2009, 04:02 PM
mawashi...Oakley makes a big deal out of having both lenses cut from a single piece of material and optically tuned and shaped to maximize focus, but I don't really know if that's just marketing. They have a mobile unit that I read about that travels around doing lab demos and focus is one of the demos.

Warning...book ahead! Almost everyone seems to like their sunglasses from any of the top mfgs it seems. I've narrowed my search down to the Oakley Half Jacket XLJs. While I preferred the styling of the Flak Jackets, the frames were a bit loose on me whereas the Half Jackets seemed perfect.

Anyway, I'd love some more feedback on lens color and polarized or not. It seems sandstone/amber/rose are popular and the Bolle tennis specific are blue.

Oakley has a fishing specific polarized lens called Shallow Blue Polarized with 20% light transmission. The also have a couple of rose tinted called G30 and G30 Black Iridium. Their Iridium coating is supposed to reduce glare, but is not polarization. These let 30% and 25% light through.

Finally, they have the VR28, V28 Black Iridium and VR28 Polarized. Light transmission is 28%, 18% and 16%. I'm not sure what the tone is, I can't find them in person. The website says they filter blue light.

I do some boating so I'm tending toward a polarized pair, but Sam Stosur is the only pro tennis player that I can find the actual lens they wear. She evidently typically wears the VR28 Black Iridium which is NOT polarized. I would thinks she has tried them all.

Final thought, I don't play w/ sunglasses at all now, so I know I don't want a dark lens, I just want to see a little better facing the sun and protect my eyes from UV.

Thoughts on colors? Polarization? Experience with any of the lenses mentioned? Thanks.

athiker,

Thanks very much indeed. I have lots of Oakleys cus they fit my face best, from the Juliets, Unknown, Ti Whisker n bout 6 more and all are polarized. The main issue I have with Oakley's polarized lenses are the coating they used.

I left mine by the bath tub by accident overnight n some soap suds got on it. The polarized coating just bubbled up n peeled off the next day! I has happened more than once. Apparently some detergent/soap will do that to the coating :shock:

I definitely liked the VR28 as I got a square wire for my gf n the lenses worked great, gave a very nice sunset colour which feels great cus I kept thinking it was evening :lol:!

For tennis I'll have to try out the non polarized version and a lighter coloured lenses but I'm still worried bout the refraction issue as every shade I've tried has that same issue.

mawashi

crystal_clear
12-17-2009, 07:02 PM
I haven’t worn my rose MJ play tennis yet. I will let you know when I play outdoor tennis in May.
I'll be looking for your report. Or I'll try them for myself... who knows!

I love it~

Extremely light with clear vision~ There was a small crack on one of the lens after two months and I got replaced right away on site without showing a receipt.

athiker
12-21-2009, 05:58 PM
I decided to go with the Oakley Half Jacket XLJ with the V28 Black Iridium lenses. I figured why make it too complicated? At least 2 pros evidently use this lens so I'm sure it will be fine for me.

I was leaning polarized but I recalled I couldn't read the depth finder in my boat w/ my cheapo polarized lenses so decided against. Polarized does some funny things looking at some types of glass. The Iridium coating is supposed to reduce glare so that should be good enough for boating. Plus polarizing these lenses darkented them down to 10% light transmission, which is darker than I want. It doesn't hurt that is saves me $55 bucks either...actually, $75 over the Oakley "fishing specific" Shallow Blue Polarized lenses.

From what I read that shade (like the similar Bolle tint) made the ball stand out, but washed out most everything else in the background. I wanted a nice all around lens. The V28 w/ black iridium is a rose based, ruddy red/brown tint that is supposed to enhance contrast and depth of field.

I know the Half Jacket frames fit me well but wasn't able to try the lenses ahead of time. I'm ording them from direct from the Oakley website using their custom option. $120.

It seems from everything I read, here, on a boating forum and in various reviews there are few complaints about the better brands. I did find Maui Jim owners to be particularly enthusiastic for some reason! I just don't have time to run around trying on a bunch of stuff...and found the selection of the nearby places lacking.

autumn_leaf
12-21-2009, 07:19 PM
I love my oakley xlj v28 polarized. i got the polarized because there are times when car windows glare horribly and with these i don't see them at all.

it is true that polarized does some funny things when looking at glass, i see marks / spots i can't see with the glasses off, but this doesn't matter for tennis play.

also for what it's worth these things basically saved my left eye when doing a tennis drill with those hard bumpy agility balls, i ended up with a minor cut below my left eye due from the contact of the ball to my glasses. the glasses were totally fine and did not even scratch from the ball strike or falling to the ground. i'm sure if i wore my regular glasses i would've been a lot more injured or at my glasses would've been seriously damaged.

total cost of oakley xlj v28 polarize (RX prescription) : $230

having my left eye: Priceless =)

athiker
12-21-2009, 07:24 PM
Glad to hear you like the V28s. I do like the soothing feel of polarized in bright sun, but hoping the iridium cuts enough glare to be comfortable.

BTW, free 2 day shipping from Oakley ends tonight. No shipping and no tax on my order.

parasailing
12-22-2009, 02:05 PM
I use to have Oakley M frame with prescription of -3.5 in each eye. But I never got use to them because they made me a little dizzy when I switch to them after wearing my normal prescription eyeglasses. It turned out that there was an issue with wrap around sunglasses where the base curvature of the lenses is greater than standard eyeglasses.

Has anyone experience this issue where you get dizzy when switching between normal prescription eyewear and wrap around prescription sunglasses? I spoke to an optician about this and they said there wasn't much you can do if you have an OD of -2.5 and above.

autumn_leaf
12-22-2009, 08:06 PM
I use to have Oakley M frame with prescription of -3.5 in each eye. But I never got use to them because they made me a little dizzy when I switch to them after wearing my normal prescription eyeglasses. It turned out that there was an issue with wrap around sunglasses where the base curvature of the lenses is greater than standard eyeglasses.

Has anyone experience this issue where you get dizzy when switching between normal prescription eyewear and wrap around prescription sunglasses? I spoke to an optician about this and they said there wasn't much you can do if you have an OD of -2.5 and above.

i have -2.5 on both lenses. it was dizzying at first, my exact reaction to when i first put them on was "man this is like my regular glasses on roids."

i read the paper that came with it and it said that it might take some time to get used to it because with regular frames there are a lot of space that is not covered by your lenses that your eyes still sees and adjusts to it, so it takes a while for them to not have to adjust because the new glasses have lenses that cover most of your field of vision.

it took me about an hour or 2 to get used to them. i have no problems with it now.

tennis_tater
05-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Was looking at a pair of Solarbats. Anyone have a pair, or tried them out?

Torres
05-08-2011, 02:30 PM
I have several pairs of Nikes with the plastic frames and lenses and the ventilated rubber nose bridges that I use for tennis. They are the best and of high quality and are long lasting. The vision out of them is superb. I love them and wear them for all my daytime matches.

The tints are interesting...

http://www.nikevision.com/lens-simulator

Whats the most appropriate lens/tint for tennis then?

JTathlete
05-08-2011, 02:33 PM
bolle make the best sunglasses for tennis..

athiker
06-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Well my Oakley's lasted a bit over a year; not quite as long as the 20 years my previous "nice" pair of sunglasses lasted. I enjoyed them while I had them but they have disappeared and don't seem to be coming back.

I couldn't stomach another $100+ pair so I picked up these: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Tifosi_GT_Fototec_Tyrant_Iron_Sunglasses/descpageTIFOSI-GTFTI.html

The Tifosi GT Fototec Tyrant, a relative deal for $54. So far I'm happy. The tint seems to adjust as much as needed when needed. Contrast is good and clarity is very good for tennis. They are vented so they don't fog up. They aren't magic though so brow sweat will still occasionally drip on the lenses.

My one complaint is the the nose bridge is a bit narrow so they sit a little high on my nose. Not functionally an issue but it looks a feels a little odd I think.

EDIT: I should probably mention the lens color. They are mostly yellow to start, almost like driving or shooting glasses and turn ever more tan/brown the brighter the sun you are in.

bob
05-25-2012, 01:29 PM
I've been wearing one pair of Bolle Vigilant sunglasses for over 6 years (200 practices and games). Only issue is that one of the nose pads fell off. I bought a replacement for around $5.

Hi folks,

r2473
05-25-2012, 02:53 PM

YES!!!!

I could not get used to it and had to switch to a non-wrap around pair.

For me, lesson learned.

bigmalik76
05-25-2012, 03:05 PM
I use Oakley Radar. Really like them and always never had any slippage issues

Topaz
05-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Holy thread revival! :)

I found a great pair of Champion (C9 brand) sunglasses at Target.

Posture Guy
06-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Interesting thread. Is there a consensus on what color of lens is best for optimizing seeing a yellow tennis ball? Bolle says it's their blue tint. I would think anything in the brown/yellow/red family would make the ball blend in with the background.

I have a pair of Maui Jims that I love. In the Texas summer, you get a lot of glare off the courts. The polarization is huge. But they're simply a dark grey color, so I don't think they do anything for or against picking up the ball.

GlenK
06-03-2012, 03:51 AM
What ever Bolle does with those "teal" lenses it really works. The best and only sunglasses I've ever been able to play in.

gmatheis
06-03-2012, 04:52 AM
I don't wear sunglasses when i play regularly, I only use them when I have to serve in the sun.

I got a pair of $28 Dewalt polarized safety glasses at the hardware store (can't remember if it was lowes or home depot). They are awesome. The polarization makes it so I can see the ball as long as I can toss just a little bit away from the sun.

For the price I think they are the best bang for the buck.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSX19_Jku5JWdnzMUFRm7JxquOKWDada IvePd6AK0BRIjIynfPoyw

ductrung3993
06-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Hi guys, please excuse me for this off topic question.

My Bolle Vortex got stained from the included cloth bag. I tried to clean them with alcohol but failed. Could you guys please suggest me a safe way to do it? Thanks a ton in advance.

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q360/nguyentranductrung/Bolle/IMG_0372.jpg

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q360/nguyentranductrung/Bolle/IMG_0381.jpg

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q360/nguyentranductrung/Bolle/IMG_0370.jpg

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q360/nguyentranductrung/Bolle/IMG_0369.jpg

Posture Guy
06-03-2012, 11:53 AM
I would try one of the Mr Clean Magic Eraser thingies. My wife got one of 'em and it's amazing how many different kinds of issues that thing cleans up.

Can't hurt, and it might do the trick.

How do you like your Bolle's? I'm intrigued by the blue lens version.

ductrung3993
06-04-2012, 02:20 AM
I would try one of the Mr Clean Magic Eraser thingies. My wife got one of 'em and it's amazing how many different kinds of issues that thing cleans up.

Can't hurt, and it might do the trick.

How do you like your Bolle's? I'm intrigued by the blue lens version.

Thanks a lot Posture Guy, I will try that.

Can't speak for certain how do I like them though, have only played one double before my shoulder protested. So far so good though, they stay on and are relatively comfortable. But mine is RX (come with the second layer of prescriptions) so they are a little heavy though. Try them out with out pres and they are really light so folks that don't need it would surely benefit more :)

mawashi
06-04-2012, 02:44 AM
many golfers won't wear sunglasses with polarized lenses because they can distort distance perception and make greens harder to read.

Does anyone know of such problems with polarized lenses and tennis?

Yes I have a lot of such problems with my polar shades from Maui Jims to Oakleys.

I will never buy another pair of Oakleys too... They don't last in tropical climates, the rubber ear/eye piece become gummy, the metal frames corrode.

I have 6 oakleys from the Juiliets to unknow and Ti a frames and all of them have the lens coating peeling.

I'm giving Rudy project a try now as they have much better clarity then oakleys.

tennisdad65
06-04-2012, 04:22 AM
I got a pair of $28 Dewalt polarized safety glasses at the hardware store (can't remember if it was lowes or home depot). They are awesome. The polarization makes it so I can see the ball as long as I can toss just a little bit away from the sun.

Thanks.. this is more in my price range than the $100-250 ones.

jmverdugo
06-04-2012, 06:43 AM
I bought a pair of polarized generic sunglasses at SA for $35, they are awesome!, the problem I have with spending big bucks for tennis sunglasses is that they do not last long for me since I have to keep cleaning them every changeover and then the pieces start to fall and finally i lost them on the court, I only use them when the sun is right at my service toss. On the other hand I saw that Oakley is on the list of stuff i can by with my CC reward points so I may give the half jackets a try, I like that they do not have a complete frame so the sweat do not get caught up there.

K-Bladest
06-04-2012, 04:00 PM
I just joined this forum and I'm eager to contribute. Did you see that Shvedova beat Li today, while wearing glasses? She wears Oakley's, maybe the Flak Jacket or Half Jacket, and looks good doing it:) I'd always been a contact wearer, but a few years ago I started wearing a pair of prescription Rudy Projects. They've been real solid. Rubber held up well, the peripheral vision is more than enough, and I got the Polarized brown lenses which are good morning, noon and eve. Expensive, but totally worth it.

tennytive
06-05-2012, 06:15 AM

I saw these exact glasses at a HD yesterday under a different brand name for $16.

They also had 3M tekk safety sun glasses that block 99% of UV rays for 8 bucks… guess which ones I went with? :)

Posture Guy
06-05-2012, 06:23 AM
The optics on those are going to be really poor. Honestly, any sunglass that goes for less than $80 is going to have crappy optics. The good stuff just costs money.

But that said, pretty is as pretty does so if it works for you.....

I've got a pair of Maui Jims I use for every day stuff. They work ok on the court but I'd rather have something that enhances vision of the ball. But Maui Jim optics, well, once you get used to them you can't stand anything less.

BobFL
06-05-2012, 07:57 AM
The best cheap glasses are Fossil. Nothing comes close. And I have seen them all. I bought one pair for $15 at TJMaxx for goofing purposes but they are really really good. Everything else below $80 is junk as PG said.

My #1 choice are Maui Jim Canoes with HT lenses...

ArliHawk
06-05-2012, 08:11 AM
I wish I could get comfortable playing in glasses like you guys do, but I really struggle with it. I've even tried some sporty Oakleys. Guess it just isn't meant to be for me anyway.

Torres
06-05-2012, 03:29 PM
What ever Bolle does with those "teal" lenses it really works. The best and only sunglasses I've ever been able to play in.

If you mean Competivision, they're okay I suppose. They make the ball 'pop' but personally, I find them too dark as they darken everything else as well - nets, lines, reference points in the background etc.

BobFL
06-05-2012, 05:03 PM
I wish I could get comfortable playing in glasses like you guys do, but I really struggle with it. I've even tried some sporty Oakleys. Guess it just isn't meant to be for me anyway.

Yeah man, I had all kinds of problems when I started wearing them a year ago. I just couldn't serve to save my life. Now, I just don't feel them on my face. Feels 100% natural. Just be patient :)

chrisberchris
06-05-2012, 05:50 PM
I wear Ray Ban Aviators. My fav glasses

Posture Guy
06-06-2012, 04:15 AM
One thing I haven't really seen discussed: what is the science about how the type of color on a lens impacts what the eye perceives? Does a blue tint filter out blues or enhance them? If you want to make yellow 'pop', what would be the best choice?

I have a pair of PeakVision sunglasses that I got for golf, they're supposed to enhance the countours on the greens for reading putts, and they really do seem to do that. I've tried them for tennis and actually like them. They don't make everything too dark and they have nice clarity and they stay in place.

jim e
06-06-2012, 04:53 AM
If you mean Competivision, they're okay I suppose. They make the ball 'pop' but personally, I find them too dark as they darken everything else as well - nets, lines, reference points in the background etc.

I only wear sunglasses when the sun is too bright for me. As such the Teal Competivision glasses are not dark enough as they do not block enough of the light, but the darker lenses that came with them are great.

tennytive
06-06-2012, 05:53 AM
One thing I haven't really seen discussed: what is the science about how the type of color on a lens impacts what the eye perceives? Does a blue tint filter out blues or enhance them?

The cheapos I got are blue tinted lenses and they filter out blue. When I wear them everything has a warm cast compared to my reg sunglasses that are polarized.

They work pretty well for tennis tho, and I'm sure you're right about the optics, but believe me, I could have the best optics in the world and still hit the ball long… in the net… wide… you name it.

Torres
06-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Does anyone know if the Oakley polarized light grey lens would be suitable for tennis or is VR28 the best way to go? And their transition lenses? ie the ones that get brighter/darker depending on the amount of sun.

GlenK
06-07-2012, 03:55 AM
I only wear sunglasses when the sun is too bright for me. As such the Teal Competivision glasses are not dark enough as they do not block enough of the light, but the darker lenses that came with them are great.

Well the teal work better for me because our biggest problems where I play is sun/shadows. The teal is by far the best I've ever used in that situation. The darker ones do just that, make the shadows darker. The teal do something to the yellow ball I can't explain but I've never wore sunglasses in my life until I tried these. Now I do not play without them..

mawashi
07-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Does anyone know if the Oakley polarized light grey lens would be suitable for tennis or is VR28 the best way to go? And their transition lenses? ie the ones that get brighter/darker depending on the amount of sun.

I'm done with expensive and fragile oakleys. Everyone I had either broke, coating peeled or really became badly corroded.

Just got myself a pair of rudy project golf frames and they are great!

http://www.e-rudy.com/images/products/SN798514G_detail.jpg

The photochromic lens adapts to varying light conditions so it isn't so dark I have to take it off when clouds appear . It also highlights the ball well against the green court well!

PrinceMoron
07-09-2012, 11:29 PM
Bolle competivision, unless I am playing doubles with my partner who is sponsored by Volkl - all that yellow makes my eyes bleed.

Torres
07-10-2012, 04:11 AM
The photochromic lens adapts to varying light conditions so it isn't so dark I have to take it off when clouds appear . It also highlights the ball well against the green court well!

Those look intriguing, though not really much cheaper than Oakleys. Personally, I find lenses that get lighter/darker more useful as more often than not, I find myself constantly having to take sunglasses on and off due to the variable sunny/cloudy conditions. Do these change tints pretty quick then?

Torres
07-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Hey Mawashi, where are you dude?

Can you explain each of the photochromatic lenses and which would be most suitable?

http://www.rudyproject.com/technologies/eyewear/sunglasses/impactx-photochromic-lenses/photochromic-and-polarized.html

mawashi
07-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Hey Mawashi, where are you dude?

Can you explain each of the photochromatic lenses and which would be most suitable?

http://www.rudyproject.com/technologies/eyewear/sunglasses/impactx-photochromic-lenses/photochromic-and-polarized.html

Where am I lol? I'm still around lol!

I love to fish and polarized are best suited for fishing, water sports and skiing where light gets reflected off the ground surface into the eye however, for tennis or most conditions, polarized lens are not necessary.

http://www.rudyproject.com/sports/tennis.html

As you can see, the lens rudy recommends for tennis is the green, clear or photochromic red. During bright conditions the green darkens up nicely, when light is lower the red seems to highlight the ball and when it's dark the clear just adds uv protection but prevents glare.

Overall I really love the green impactx lens as they are bendable and won't break.

http://www.e-rudy.com/rudy-project-combo-details.php

makes it really affordable as you get a choice of lens and also a free polarized one too.

I got myself this combo.

http://www.rudyproject.com/images/dgcatalog/GLASSES/SN79/SN793898M_M.jpg

1. http://www.e-rudy.com/rudy-project-combo-rydon.php
(graphite frame with red multilaser red)
2. ImpactX Photochromic Golf lens +$50
http://www.rudyproject.com/images/dgcatalog/GLASSES/SN79/SN798514G_M.jpg
3. Polar3FX Grey polarized +$free
4. Multilaser Red +$85 (Red just looks so bad *****)

Michelle1965
07-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Are Rose the best color for tennis? I may have read that somewhere.

Chotobaka
07-15-2012, 09:11 PM
Well the teal work better for me because our biggest problems where I play is sun/shadows. The teal is by far the best I've ever used in that situation. The darker ones do just that, make the shadows darker. The teal do something to the yellow ball I can't explain but I've never wore sunglasses in my life until I tried these. Now I do not play without them..

I had an interesting experience with Bolle Competivision +TNS Gun lenses. I had used the Paroles with Competivision for a couple of years and really liked them. I wanted something smaller and got a pair of Kickbacks, also with Competivision Gun and was really pleased. So, I decided to get a pair of Kickbacks for off-court wear and picked up a pair with Polarized TNS Gun (non-Competivision). The polarized lenses make all the difference in the world. They are even better on-court than the Competivision versions. Way better. Everything is much clearer and depth perception is better.

The Competivision lenses are very good, and I still use them. I have extra pairs that I picked up on deal from a tennis distributor a few months ago so I will be using these for quite a while. The sad part is the Kickbacks have been discontinued and are hard to find in-stock now. But bottom line, Bolle polarized are very, very good for tennis.

Posture Guy
07-15-2012, 09:54 PM
Chotobaka...did you try the polarized versions in shaded conditions?

I have a pair of Maui Jim's that are polarized and for bright conditions with a lot of glare, I love them (they are dark grey). But if it's a cloudy day, they're too dark and they hurt my ability to locate the ball.

When I tried on my hitting partner's Competivisions, what struck me was they didn't really darken much up at all. I could easily wear them on cloudy days, though might be wishing for something darker on the really sunny ones.

KTENNIS
07-16-2012, 01:21 AM
Try the Rudy Project Noyz. It works well for me.
http://www.getprice.com.au/images/uploadimg/566/_1_Rudy_Project_NOYZ_SP043898.jpg

Chotobaka
07-17-2012, 12:20 AM
Chotobaka...did you try the polarized versions in shaded conditions?

I have a pair of Maui Jim's that are polarized and for bright conditions with a lot of glare, I love them (they are dark grey). But if it's a cloudy day, they're too dark and they hurt my ability to locate the ball.

When I tried on my hitting partner's Competivisions, what struck me was they didn't really darken much up at all. I could easily wear them on cloudy days, though might be wishing for something darker on the really sunny ones.

You are 100% correct, the teal Competivision lenses (as in my Parole's) are by far the lightest shade and IMO best for all conditions. Moreover, they do the optic-yellow popping trick better than the others.

The Kickback Competivision's are a bit darker and the yellow does not pop quite as much in comparison to the Parole's.

The Polarized Kickbacks are a shade or two darker but still not too dark for me as an all-rounder. By way of comparison, I have a pair of Smith shades that are polarized and near-black lenses. Great in bright conditions but they suck in low light.

Here are multiple Bolle lenses I have...

Teal Parole - 9B Non Polar Competivision + TNS Gun

Kickback - 10211 Competivision Gun (Subtle mirror exterior finish)

Kickback - 10209 Polarized TNS Gun

All descriptions are from Bolle's labels. FWIW, Kickback frames are made in Japan. Very light and high quality.

Lastly, Maui Jim's are among my favorites. Really good stuff.

coolkoala
07-17-2012, 03:56 AM
I'm done with expensive and fragile oakleys. Everyone I had either broke, coating peeled or really became badly corroded.

Just got myself a pair of rudy project golf frames and they are great!

http://www.e-rudy.com/images/products/SN798514G_detail.jpg

100% agree!

Posture Guy
07-17-2012, 05:52 AM
Chotobaka....thanks for that very informative reply. Good stuff.

Tennisguy3000
07-17-2012, 12:28 PM
Where am I lol? I'm still around lol!

I love to fish and polarized are best suited for fishing, water sports and skiing where light gets reflected off the ground surface into the eye however, for tennis or most conditions, polarized lens are not necessary.

http://www.rudyproject.com/sports/tennis.html

As you can see, the lens rudy recommends for tennis is the green, clear or photochromic red. During bright conditions the green darkens up nicely, when light is lower the red seems to highlight the ball and when it's dark the clear just adds uv protection but prevents glare.

Overall I really love the green impactx lens as they are bendable and won't break.

http://www.e-rudy.com/rudy-project-combo-details.php

makes it really affordable as you get a choice of lens and also a free polarized one too.

I got myself this combo.

http://www.rudyproject.com/images/dgcatalog/GLASSES/SN79/SN793898M_M.jpg

1. http://www.e-rudy.com/rudy-project-combo-rydon.php
(graphite frame with red multilaser red)
2. ImpactX Photochromic Golf lens +$50
http://www.rudyproject.com/images/dgcatalog/GLASSES/SN79/SN798514G_M.jpg
3. Polar3FX Grey polarized +$free
4. Multilaser Red +$85 (Red just looks so bad *****)

Seriously thinking about getting these, they have some great combo packages that seem to include bags & watches as well. I didn't finish the checkout process as I wanted to see if there was anymore feedback from the recent buyers before pulling the trigger. The RX inserts report to be heavy by some... anyone try the prescription inserts?

Any updates on these?

Thanks so much ;-)

TG

Tennisguy3000
07-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Seriously thinking about getting these, they have some great combo packages that seem to include bags & watches as well. I didn't finish the checkout process as I wanted to see if there was anymore feedback from the recent buyers before pulling the trigger. The RX inserts report to be heavy by some... anyone try the prescription inserts?

Any updates on these?

Thanks so much ;-)

TG

EDIT:

Here is the link to the RX prescription page: http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/technology_free_form_tek.php

Chotobaka
07-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Chotobaka....thanks for that very informative reply. Good stuff.

You are very welcome.

3fees
08-08-2012, 09:43 AM
I have tried black, amber and yellow tints,,yellow has the clearest images for me,,as to name brands, whatever floats your boat, in todays market generic's are virtually the same at a fraction of the cost.

3fees :)