PDA

View Full Version : Pro staff 6.0 95...increasing power?

James Brown
02-19-2004, 02:21 PM
I think I have pretty much found the 'one' the pro staff original 6.0 95 sq inch headsize is the best racquet i have ever played with. im still adjusting after having used a pure drive + for the last few months (about 6 maybe 7 now, thats how long ive been playing) but i'm wondering is there a way to make it more powerful? An inexpensive way if possible. I currently have it strung at 64 lbs with wilson sensation (strung it up to test if i liked it, i bought it on a whim because id heard so much about it). Don't get me wrong, i can crank out shots with a good amount of pace (im still kind a beginner, but i people say i have some natural talent.) but i have to expend a whole lot of energy and im really out of shape. im 17 as of this message and ive let myself go the past couple of years. Im worse than kafelnikov right now! hehe :> . So whats the best way to increase the power of the racquet without changing the balance and feel of it currently. Is there a way to add lead tape without going to see a professional stringer? also can you please give precise instructions. Like, i honestly don't know what it means the 'throat' of the racquet (we all have to learn sometime, right? :>).

p.s. i have a vibration dampener (the sampras one) and sometimes when im bouncing the ball with my racquet before a serve, i'll hear some weird off pitch ping sound.. does that have something to do with the 'grommet'? what exactly is a grommet, where is it located, and if that's the problem, how can i fix it?

Thanks for baring with me guys. Much appreciated :>

kreative
02-19-2004, 02:38 PM
add some lead to the throat, which is that open area under the hoop will add weight w/o changing the balance point, or minimally if any.

try stringing lower, or use a more powerful multi such as wilson nxt, nrg2, tnt, babolat xcell, or even natural gut.

jings
02-19-2004, 04:48 PM
JB, it is a big adjustment to make from a PD+ to 6.0 95 and I'm not surprised you crave more power out of the new frame - it is the 6.0 95's only real "failing". Your options are as Kreative has outlined and boil down to adding weight, a more powerful string and lower tensions. From memory PD+ is few points less head light than 6.0 so you could add a little lead tape (1/4" inch wide) between 2 and 4 o'clock and 10 and 8 o'clock in the hoop as well as some lead (1/2" inch wide) on the inside walls in the Y of the throat. Start with just one layer in all places to begin with as the 6.0 is a heavier racquet than the PD+, and whilst you may enjoy that extra weight if you add too much you'll change the whole feel of the frame. If you can afford to switch to gut and try and come down to around 60 lbs or so. Bow or BDE brands are cheap options. Bottom line though is to try a few different combinations and find what works for you. The alternative of course is to consider a more powerful frame to begin with, and possibly the Tour 95 might be to your liking.

Grimjack
02-19-2004, 04:56 PM
Lead tape can be your friend, but if you've found that you really like everything about the racquet -- except that you want a little more power -- start as simply as possible.

If all other things remain equal, you'll get a little more power if you string the racquet at a lower tension.

Try getting your next string job at 56-58 lbs (nearer the bottom end of the recommended range), with the same type of string. See if that gets you where you want to be before you go fiddling with any other fixes. The most efficient way to experiment is ALWAYS one variable at a time.

WW Volley
02-20-2004, 07:02 AM
Stringing at 55 pounds with a powerful string in my PS 95 really added some juice to the frame. Probably too much for my game, but it definitely super-charged that frame.

As the others suggested, start with string and work from there. Lead (if you can still swing it the same speed) will also add power.

emcee
02-21-2004, 09:00 AM
Does lead at 6 increase the power as much as lead at 12? I tried just a few inches at 12 and it felt like a frying pan.

WW Volley
02-21-2004, 05:08 PM
Does lead at 6 increase the power as much as lead at 12? I tried just a few inches at 12 and it felt like a frying pan.

Anytime you add weight, and still swing the racquet the same speed, you will get increased power. It's a heavier object hitting the ball.

That being said, adding weight at 6 does not add as much power as at 12. The reason it is more powerful at 12 and other parts toward the top of the hoop, is the hammer effect. Wilson markets a whole line based on this hammer. Prince has it's variation with the weight at 10 and 2. Basically, think of a normal hammer you'd use to hit a nail with. The reason there is so much power in the swing, is all the weight is in the head, thus creating a powerful motion of weight that makes contact with the surface. Adding weight to the 12 position creates the same hammer effect.

Adding weight at 6 should increase power slightly, but not nearly as noticable as at 12. The benefit of adding weight at 6, is that the balance of the frame isn't changed as much.

Check out the Tennis Warehouse learning center (top of the page, there's a link), for more information on weighting, and COUNTER weighting. Counter weighting will allow you to add weight, increase power, but not change the balance of your frame.

Gaines Hillix
02-21-2004, 06:37 PM
It really helps to take the ball early with this frame too. And remember the 6.0 Prostaffs are so head light and flexible at the tip that any ball hit in the upper part of the hoop won't have much pop. Hit the ball early and in the mid to lower part of the stringbed and it will be a heavy ball.

WYK
02-23-2004, 06:50 PM
Lower your string tension, add weight at 3/9/12/and 6, work out, start losing your arm and elbow, start getting tired around the 3rd set, buy a Classic 6.1 ;)

But seriously, I had the same problems with my PBP. I strung it at 56 lbs, put lead all over the thing, and now it's 'powerful' but still has that classic PBP feel, maneuverability, and huge sweetspot(made even larger).

WYK

pshulam
08-16-2009, 07:57 AM
... same problems with my PBP ...... that classic PBP feel

Prostaff ??? ?????

Steve F.
08-16-2009, 08:09 AM
Prostaff ??? ?????

Estusa Power Beam Pro...

That said...

pshulam - this thread is 5 years old... try starting a new thread if you have an actual question next time. ;)