PDA

View Full Version : ATP Monday: Results, OOP, Tuesday Previews . . . .

sseemiller
03-01-2004, 05:16 PM
Here's Dubai. Lots of upsets, as I said. Especially, Schuettler, Henman and Flip. I'll post Scottsdale and Acapulco when I get them. They aren't out yet.

RESULTS - MONDAY, MARCH 1, 2004
Singles - First Round
(Q)P Kohlschreiber (GER) d (3)R Schuettler (GER) 36 64 64
O Rochus (BEL) d (5)M Philippoussis (AUS) 62 76(8)
(Q)T Zib (CZE) d (6)T Henman (GBR) 64 36 76(4)
A Pavel (ROM) d B Ulihrach (CZE) 61 26 75
G Carraz (FRA) d (WC)O Bahrouzyan (UAE) 60 60
I Ljubicic (CRO) d (Q)M Dell'acqua (ITA) 63 36 64
(Q)D Van Scheppingen (NED) d (WC)M Al-Ghareeb (KUW) 76(5) 36 76(6) Saved 1 M.P.

Doubles - First Round
(1)Bhupathi/Santoro d (WC)Al-Ghareeb/Heuberger 64 62

DRAWS
For the Dubai singles draw, go to: http://www.atptennis.com/posting/2004/495/MDS.pdf
For the Dubai doubles draw, go to: http://www.atptennis.com/posting/2004/495/MDD.pdf

ORDER OF PLAY - TUESDAY, MARCH 2, 2004
Centre Court start 2:00 PM
M Youzhny (RUS) vs (2)G Coria (ARG)
(4)D Nalbandian (ARG) vs J Nieminen (FIN)
Starting at 7:00 PM
(1)R Federer (SUI) vs (WC)M Safin (RUS)
F Santoro (FRA) vs A Martin (ESP)

Court 1 start 2:00 PM
T Robredo (ESP) vs J Bjorkman (SWE)
M Mirnyi (BLR) vs R Nadal (ESP)
(WC)Bahrouzyan/Nader vs Kohlmann/Schuettler

Court 2 start 2:00 PM
S Sargsian (ARM) vs (8)S Schalken (NED)
F Lopez (ESP) vs N Davydenko (RUS)

ATP MEDIA NOTES - MONDAY, MARCH 1, 2004

HENMAN, SCHUETTLER & PHILIPPOUSSIS TUMBLE ON DAY ONE
Sixth seed Tim Henman crashed out of the Dubai Tennis Championships on Monday when he lost a third-set tie-break to Czech qualifier Tomas Zib 6-4, 3-6, 7-6(4). It was Henman's first first-round exit of the season. Henman, who slipped to 8-4 on the season, had defeated INDESIT ATP 2004 Race leader Roger Federer en route to the Rotterdam semifinals in his most recent outing.

Third seed Rainer Schuettler endured his fourth first-round defeat in five tournaments this season when he suffered a 3-6, 6-4, 6-4 loss to German qualifier Philipp Kohlschreiber. Schuettler is a modest 2-5 on the season.

Fifth seed Mark Philippoussis suffered his fourth consecutive loss when beaten 6-2, 7-6(8) by Belgian Olivier Rochus, who at 5'5'' was conceding almost one foot in height to the 6'4'' Aussie. Philippoussis came into the tournament on a three-match losing streak, having lost both Davis Cup singles matches against Sweden and his fourth-round match with Hicham Arazi at the Australian Open.

WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID
Kohlschreiber: "It was tough for him (Rainer) because it was his first match but I've already played two matches. I tried to play with more spin and keep Rainer moving."

"In the beginning, I was nervous to play on the centre court against a top player and against Rainer, but I played a lot of good shots and thought if I could hold my serve long enough then I might get some chances on his serve, because he doesn't have the best serve in the world."

"I started with the (German) Federation five years ago and now I live in Munich because that's where I have the practice. At the moment, nobody believes it, but it's my girlfriend who helps me the most. Most of the tournaments I have my girlfirend, and I played good everytime she is in the stands. She helps me with my tennis; she talks to me before the match, she inspires me during the match with 'c'mon'; she's like a coach. She played about six years ago but then quit, her name is Lena Alberti. She's from Munich."

Schuettler: "I like to play in Dubai and Doha as the conditions are good, but today I simply played bad tennis. I had a lot of chances and I didn't take my chances or play good tennis. If I knew why I was playing so bad in matches then I would be a step forward from where I am. I am playing well in practice so if I keep practicing the way I am, I am sure I will be playing matches well again."

Zib: "I've played Tim twice last year, and I know his game very well. I lost those two times but it was close and I had chances, so I knew if I started well tonight I would get some chances."

"The key for the match was me making great passing shots and he was struggling on his serve, so he was not going to play much serve and volley. Then I tried to keep him on the baseline and he is weaker on the baseline than at the net."

"I've beaten Safin, Ferrero and Schuettler, so I don't get nervous when I am scheduled to play against these guys. I am 28 and I feel really well; I don't feel much different to 24."

Henman: "All credit to Zib, he certainly won the match with some very fine passing shots. I have played a lot worse and won before and it's tough losing such a close match but you have to suck it up sometimes. I'm disappointed but you have to move on from it."

Rochus: "It's a very good victory to beat a Top 10 player, especially Mark Philippoussis on hard courts. The plan was to make him run, try to return his serve and to make him play a lot of balls."

On his next match: "This tournament is so tough but Max is playing so good. He beat Safin in Davis Cup and has reached semis and quarters in the last few weeks, so he's in good shape. Nadal is one of the best players. If I will play my best like today then anything can happen."

TUESDAY MATCHES
First-round matches don't come any tougher than the meeting between 2004 Australian Open finalists Roger Federer and Marat Safin. Top seed and INDESIT ATP 2004 Race leader Federer is playing his first event since Tim Henman ended his 16-match winning streak in the Rotterdam quarterfinals. Safin, who accepted a wild card into the tournament, is unseeded despite reaching the Melbourne final. The Russian has an INDESIT ATP Entry ranking of No. 30; Dutchman Sjeng Schalken, who is No. 15, claimed the eighth and final seed. Safin has won just one of three matches since the Australian Open.

Second seed Guillermo Coria opens his Dubai campaign against tough Russian Mikhail Youzhny, whom he defeated in all three meetings in 2003. Two weeks ago Coria won his seventh career title in Buenos Aires before switching to the European indoor season, where he fell in the second round of Marseille to Swiss veteran Marc Rosset.

Fourth seed David Nalbandian plays his first tournament match since losing to Federer in four sets in the quarterfinals of the Australian Open. Nalbandian's only appearance since then has been a win over Hicham Arazi in Argentina's Davis Cup victory over Morocco early last month. On Tuesday Nalbandian meets talented Finn Jarkko Nieminen, against whom he holds a 3-1 career edge.

sseemiller
03-01-2004, 05:17 PM
BTW, I just want to say Vamos to Rafael for tomorrow. He has a tough row to hoe against Mirnyi. But perhaps the upset trend will continue. :lol:

sseemiller
03-01-2004, 08:00 PM
Here's the Scottsdale info:

DRAWS
For the Scottsdale singles draw, go to: http://www.atptennis.com/posting/2004/433/MDS.pdf
For the Scottsdale doubles draw, go to: http://www.atptennis.com/posting/2004/433/MDD.pdf

Singles - First Round
(7)N Kiefer (GER) d B Vahaly (USA) 63 63
J.M Gambill (USA) d (WC)B Evans (USA) 61 64
L Burgsmuller (GER) d (LL)A Kim (USA) 64 36 75
I Andreev (RUS) d M Ancic (CRO) 46 76(5) 64
D Tursunov (RUS) d I Karlovic (CRO) 63 64
W Moodie (RSA) d A Dupuis (FRA) 67(6) 62 62

Doubles - First Round
(1)Allegro/Koenig d Ginepri/Kendrick 76(5) 60
Coetzee/Haggard d (2)Blake/Merklein 63 63
(4)Leach/MacPhie d Coupe/Shimada 64 61
Van Lottum/Verkerk d Humphries/Spadea 64 64

Stadium Court - 10:00 AM
(Q)T Phillips (USA) vs (3)R Ginepri (USA)
(4)V Spadea (USA) vs (WC)T Johansson (SWE)
M Vassallo Arguello (ITA) vs (6)J Blake (USA)
(Q)Y Allegro (SUI) vs (2)M Verkerk (NED)
Starting at 6:30 PM
(1)A Roddick (USA) vs J Van Lottum (NED)
Gambill/Parrott vs (WC)Tursunov/Vahaly

Clubhouse Court - 10:00 AM
A Corretja (ESP) vs W Arthurs (AUS)
(Q)C Mamiit (USA) vs J Lisnard (FRA)
(Q)G Marcaccio (ARG) vs (WC)A Bogomolov Jr. (USA)
(8)W Ferreira (RSA) vs V Hanescu (ROM)
Kiefer/Moodie vs (3)Kerr/Perry

ATP MEDIA NOTES Ė MONDAY, MARCH 1, 2004

GAMBILL, KIEFER ADVANCE ON DAY ONE

Former champion Jan-Michael Gambill extended his record at the Franklin Templeton Tennis Classic in Scottsdale to 8-1 after his 6-1, 6-4 victory over fellow American Brendan Evans. Gambill, who won the title on his last visit to Scottsdale in 1999 (d. Hewitt in the final) and reached the quarterfinals in 1998 (l. to Agassi), now has a 6-5 record in 2004. The American advanced to quarterfinals earlier this year in San Jose and Memphis.
Seventh seed Nicolas Kiefer continued his impressive recent form by moving through to the second round in Scottsdale. The German, who reached the final in Memphis two weeks ago, overcame American Brian Vahaly 6-3, 6-3 to set up a meeting with Dmitry Tursunov for a place in the quarterfinals. Kiefer hit eight aces and broke Vahaly three times while saving two break points on his serve.
Tursunov, who reached the quarterfinals in Memphis, was equally convincing during his 6-3, 6-4 first round victory over big-serving Ivo Karlovic of Croatia on Monday.
Kiefer and Tursunov lie in the bottom half of the draw, where South African Wesley Moodie upset Milan champion Antony Dupuis 6-7(6), 6-2, 6-2 to reach the second round. Moodie will now meet either No. 3 seed Robby Ginepri or American qualifier Tripp Phillips.
Elsewhere in first round action, Germanyís Lars Burgsmuller recorded his first win of the year (1-4) with a hard-fought three-set victory over lucky loser Alex Kim, who replaced No. 5 seed Taylor Dent in the main draw after the American withdrew with a stomach illness. Burgsmuller eventually came through 6-4, 3-6, 7-5 to earn a second round meeting with Gambill.
Meanwhile, Dent still plans to remain in the doubles draw with partner Tom Lloyd and hopes to recover in time for his first round match against Lars Burgsmuller and Ivo Karlovic.
Russian Igor Andreev also moved through to the second round after defeating Croatian teenager Mario Ancic 4-6, 7-6(5), 6-4. Andreev reached the quarterfinals in Chennai at the beginning of the year, while Ancic was a finalist in Milan last month (l. to Dupuis).

WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID:
Gambill: "This is an atmosphere that I play well in. I've always played well in the dessert. I've always seem to play well in California and Miami over the years. When you play well in a place over the years, you know you can do it. However, the reason I played well today is because over the last two weeks I've really refocused the way that I'm playing tennis. I'm playing one point at a time and not getting down on myself; I'm not even worrying about the very last point. I'm doing that much better, and it's partly because I'm working with Nick Saviano as well as my Dad. It's really given me a different outlook.

"These last two weeks have really helped me. Coming into this match, obviously there was a lot of pressure on me. The guy's a young kid coming up and he's got a good game. He's going to be nervous, but I should be equally nervous out there playing a guy like that, and tonight I didn't even think about it. I went out there and played one point at a time. I started out great and it was a good match."

Kiefer: "It wasn't as easy as it seemed with the sun and windy conditions but I'm happy the way I played. The last two tournaments I played indoors so it takes a little getting used to play outdoors again. I had a good week in Memphis and it did a lot of confidence for my game. I was hitting the ball really well and I just want to continue to play that way."

Dent: "I'm pretty disappointed. I like this tournament a lot and I had good results here last year. I was disappointed I couldn't come out here and play some good tennis. If I felt a little bit better, I would be playing but I don't think it would be fair to the tournament or the lucky loser to go out there and embarrass myself."

TUESDAY PREVIEW

First round action at the Franklin Templeton Tennis Classic continues in Scottsdale on Tuesday, with five of the top six seeds all taking to Stadium Court.
Opening proceedings on day two will be third seed Robby Ginepri and his fellow American Tripp Phillips, making his first career ATP main draw appearance. Ginepri, the U.S. Davis Cup hero against Austria last month, has a 6-4 record so far this year having reached the fourth round at the Australian Open (l. to Grosjean). Three of Ginepriís losses this year have been at the hands of Cyril Saulnier, the Frenchman who defeated Ginepri in Adelaide, San Jose and Memphis. He also has an 0-2 record in Scottsdale. Tripp, the 26-year-old who captured his lone Futures title in 2002 in Mobile, Alabama, has qualified into his first ATP main draw this week. He has an INDESIT ATP Entry Ranking of No. 413.
Following them onto court will be No. 4 seed Vincent Spadea and former Australian Open champion Thomas Johansson. Spadea is making his fifth appearance in Scottsdale and will be looking to record his first win in the tournament (0-4) against Johansson, the 28-year-old Swede who won their only previous meeting at Wimbledon in 1998. Spadea has reached quarterfinals this year in Adelaide and Auckland, while Johansson advanced to the semifinals in Milan and the quarterfinals in Adelaide on his return to action after missing the entire 2003 season due to a left knee injury.
Sixth seed James Blake returns to Scottsdale for the fifth time and faces Italian Martin Vassallo Arguello for the first time. Blake, a quarterfinalist here last year (l. to Zabaleta), reached the fourth round at the Australian Open in January (l. to eventual finalist Safin) but has suffered second round losses in San Jose and Memphis at the hands of Joachim Johansson on both occasions. Vassallo Arguello is playing in only his second tournament of the year having lost in the first round at Vina del Mar, Chile to Ivan Miranda.
Second seed Martin Verkerk makes his Scottsdale debut on Tuesday when he takes on Swiss qualifier Yves Allegro in the first round in what will be the first meeting between the two. Verkerk, who reached the final at Roland Garros last year (l. to Ferrero), has a 7-4 record so far this season having appeared in the semifinals in Sydney (l. to eventual champion Hewitt) and the quarterfinals in Milan (l. to Carraz). Allegro, the 25-year-old with an INDESIT ATP Entry Ranking of 361, is making his first singles appearance of the season. Allegro captured the doubles title in Vienna last year with countryman Roger Federer.
In the night session, top seed Andy Roddick makes his first appearance in Scottsdale as he takes on John van Lottum of the Netherlands in his opening match. Roddick, who captured his 12th career title in San Jose this year and was a quarterfinalist at the Australian Open (l. to Safin) and Memphis (l. to Enqvist), has a 14-3 record in 2004. The US Open champion currently lies in seventh position in the INDESIT ATP 2004 Race and is No. 3 in the INDESIT ATP Entry Ranking. Van lottum also is making his debut in Scottsdale and has a 2-3 record in 2004.

Bhagi Katbamna
03-02-2004, 06:10 AM
Thanks for posting this info.

sseemiller
03-02-2004, 08:39 AM
And here's the Acapulco info. Dubai isn't out yet for today, but let me just say, I'm pleased with some of the results. :lol:

DRAWS
For the Acapulco singles draw, go to: <http://www.atptennis.com/posting/2004/807/MDS.pdf>
For the Acapulco doubles draw, go to: <http://www.atptennis.com/posting/2004/807/MDD.pdf>

Singles - First Round
R Gasquet (FRA) d C Rochus (BEL) 76(4) 64
(2)N Massu (CHI) d (WC)A Hernandez (MEX) 62 60
(7)JI Chela (ARG) d A Montanes (ESP) 63 64
S Koubek (AUT) d H Levy (ISR) 36 75 64
O Hernandez (ESP) d (Q)D Norman (BEL) 64 36 76(5)

Center Court - 11:00 AM
(4)E Loit (FRA) vs A Kremer (LUX)
J Vakulenko (UKR) vs J Fernandez (MEX)
Not before 3:00 PM
(WC)M Gallardo Valles (MEX) vs D Ferrer (ESP)
Not before 5:00 PM
G Lapentti (ECU) vs (4)M Zabaleta (ARG)
Not before 8:00 PM
(1)C Moya (ESP) vs D Sanchez (ESP)

Court 1 - 11:00 AM
R Ramirez Hidaglo (ESP) vs A Portas (ESP)
M Czink (HUN) vs M Diaz-Oliva (ARG)
G Blanco (ESP) vs (8)F Volandri (ITA)
Garbin/Grande vs Blahotova/G Navratilova

Court 2 - 11:00 AM
(7)A Parra (ESP) vs A Jidkova (RUS)
(Q)M Lopez (ESP) vs (WC)G Canas (ARG)
(6)G Gaudio (ARG) vs J Acasuso (ARG)
(Q)J Salzenstein (USA) vs N Lapentti (ECU)
Echagaray/Gallardo Valles vs Gonzalez/Hernandez

Court 3 - 11:00 AM
L Kurhajcova (SVK) vs N Vaidisova (CZE)
(5)F Mantilla (ESP) vs (Q)O Patience (FRA)
T Perebiynis (UKR) vs (Q)M Washington (USA)
M Sequera (VEN) vs (Q)S Stosur (AUS)
Reeves/Serra Zanetti vs Martinez Granados/Martinez

Court 4 - 11:00 AM
(8)L Cervanova (SVK) vs T Garbin (ITA)
F Verdasco (ESP) vs T Behrend (GER)
A Roesch (GER) vs I Benesova (CZE)
Chela/Massu vs Aspelin/Bertolini

ATP MEDIA NOTES - MONDAY, MARCH 1, 2004

MASSU, CHELA THROUGH IN ACAPULCO

Second seed Nicolas Massu wasted little time in moving through to the second round of the Abierto Mexicano de Tenis Telefonica Movistar in Acapulco with a 6-2, 6-0 victory over Mexican wild card Alejandro Hernandez.
Massu, who now has a 6-6 record in 2004, recorded just his second victory in five visits to Acapulco with his fourth career victory over Hernandez. He now has a 2-4 record in the tournament and will meet either American qualifier Jeff Salzenstein or Ecuadorís Nicolas Lapentti in the second round.
In the top half of the draw, No. 7 seed Juan Ignacio Chela advanced with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Spainís Albert Montanes. Chela, who won the tournament when it was last held in Mexico City in 2000 and reached the semifinals in Acapulco in 2002, is looking to capture his first title since Amersfoort in 2002. The Argentine reached the quarterfinals in Costa do Sauipe last week before losing to countryman Agustin Calleri.
Elsewhere on the opening day, French teenager Richard Gasquet advanced to the second round with a 7-6(4), 3-6, 6-3 victory over Belgian Christophe Rochus, while Stefan Koubek moved through with a 3-6, 7-5, 6-4 win over Israelís Harel Levy.
In the only other first round match on Monday, Spainís Oscar Hernandez survived a three-set marathon with Belgian veteran Dick Norman. Hernandez eventually prevailed with a 6-4, 3-6, 7-6(6) victory and will now meet either No. 3 seed Calleri or Peruís Luis Horna for a place in the quarterfinals.

TUESDAY PREVIEW

The first round of the Abierto Mexicano de Tenis Telefonica Movistar continues in Acapulco on Tuesday with top seed Carlos Moya and last yearís finalist Mariano Zabaleta among those in action.
Playing in his fifth tournament of the year, 2002 Acapulco champion Moya will open his campaign to reach his fourth final of the year against fellow Spaniard David Sanchez in the first round. Moya won the Chennai title in the first week of the year and was forced to retire in the first set of the Sydney final against Lleyton Hewit when he injured his ankle in the following week. Moya missed the Australian Open but reached the Buenos Aires final in his return to the ATP circuit two weeks ago, defeating Sanchez in a third-set tie-break in the second round to avenge his loss at Roland Garros in 2001.
Moya has an excellent 10-2 record in Acapulco, having reached the semifinals in 2001, won the tournament in 2002 and reached the quarters last year. The former World No. 1 lost in the first round to German Tomas Behrend in Costa do Sauipe, Brazil last week. Sanchez reached the quarterfinals in Acapulco in 2002, losing to Fernando Meligeni.
Last yearís runner-up Zabaleta also opens his bid for the title on Tuesday when he takes on Giovanni Lapentti for the first time. Zabaleta, the No. 4 seed who lost to Agustin Calleri in the final 12 months ago, arrives in Acapulco having reached consecutive quarterfinals in Vina del Mar and Buenos Aires in recent weeks. Lapentti, who is making his first appearance in Acapulco, lost his only ATP match this year to Juan Ignacio Chela in the first round in Buenos Aires.
Also in first round action, Mexican wild card Miguel Gallardo Valles faces Spainís David Ferrer. Gallardo Valles, who lost to Calleri in the first round in Acapulco last year, recently helped Mexico record a 4-1 Davis Cup Americas Group II victory over Jamaica, with two singles victories. Ferrer advanced to the quarterfinals in Buenos Aires last month, defeating Gustavo Kuerten in the first round.