PDA

View Full Version : NPS 95, making it more arm friendly?

PurePrestige
04-06-2006, 09:45 AM
A friend of mine switched racquets a little while back from his HPS 5.0 to the nCode N PS 95. Now he has gotten tennis elbow but he is taking care of it and he also is saying his shoulder is bothering him a little bit. He gets ultrasound for his elbow to help it out.
But I was wondering if this is normal for the NPS 95.
Specs are like. 10.8 oz, Stiffness: 58, 1 pt headlight, 95 sq in, 18x20 pattern, around 325 swingweight.

Being that he only bought these racquets a little while ago he really doesn't want to change racquets. I was wondering what the best way to make these racquets more arm friendly is, without changing the way they play too much.
I know you can add lead to the handle, but that makes the racquet alot more whippy.
So I was just wondering if anyone knows the right amount of lead to add in the handle, or where to add it on the handle. Also whether to add lead to the handle and add some to the head as well just in lesser amounts.

JediMindTrick
04-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Why would adding lead to the handle make the racquet more whippy?

tarkowski
04-06-2006, 02:36 PM
A friend of mine switched racquets a little while back from his HPS 5.0 to the nCode N PS 95. Now he has gotten tennis elbow but he is taking care of it and he also is saying his shoulder is bothering him a little bit. He gets ultrasound for his elbow to help it out.
But I was wondering if this is normal for the NPS 95.
Specs are like. 10.8 oz, Stiffness: 58, 1 pt headlight, 95 sq in, 18x20 pattern, around 325 swingweight.

Being that he only bought these racquets a little while ago he really doesn't want to change racquets. I was wondering what the best way to make these racquets more arm friendly is, without changing the way they play too much.
I know you can add lead to the handle, but that makes the racquet alot more whippy.
So I was just wondering if anyone knows the right amount of lead to add in the handle, or where to add it on the handle. Also whether to add lead to the handle and add some to the head as well just in lesser amounts.

The nPS should be a fairly arm-friendly racquet. It could be that his volume of play has gone up due to the purchase of a new racquet - I know mine does! Tennis elbow is usually an over-use injury.

It could also be that he needs to get used to the balance of this racquet - which is a little different from his old prostaff.

Another explanation is that tennis-elbow comes on over time, and now is his time, coinciding with the new racquet purchase.

Since the swingweight is already 325, I would suggest adding weight to the handle area as well. You'll get the benefits of increased mass without impacting the swingweight as much.

If by whippy, you mean adding weight to the handle will make the racquet more head-light and the sensation of a more head-light racquet will be felt - that is correct. If you mean that the racquet will be easier to swing, that would be incorrect. Both weight and swingweight will increase.

Hope all works out...

byealmeens
04-07-2006, 06:15 AM
I've had tennis elbow and used the nPS 95. I found it very arm-friendly and comfortable, even with the dense string pattern. I added weight to the handle - approximately 3/4 of an ounce - to make it more headlight. That made the frame much more solid, and with the headlight balance, very easy on the arm.

I would also suggest to your friend to use a soft multi (or gut) in a thin gauge, and string lower. This frame has plenty of control, and with the 18X20 pattern, thinner strings will last longer than you think.