PDA

View Full Version : string break help

andtapes
06-24-2004, 08:53 AM
The string broke on top of the frame.
Was it my fault or a miss hit of the player?

TennsDog
06-24-2004, 02:52 PM
The string could have been damaged during the stringing process (perhaps clamps too tight?), but my guess it is something else. Two other things could do this: some frames tend to snap strings near the frame like Prince More Performance series rackets, or it could just have been a bad mis-hit that just torqued the strings wrong.

Gaines Hillix
06-24-2004, 05:21 PM
All of the force of the shot is concentrated on a short piece of string when a ball is hit hard near the outside of the frame. This is exaserbated even further on stiff widebody frames. If this is a chronic problem, sometimes it helps to tube the center 8 main grommet holes at the top.

Deuce
06-24-2004, 10:01 PM
The other possibility is that the string was damaged at the very top of the frame. Some bumpers are quite shallow, and the string protrudes beyond the protected portion, and can easily get scraped and damaged when going down for low shots. Other bumpers are OK when they start out, but wear away and thin out over time, with the same potential result as I mentioned above.

Because the string would be damaged in this way, it would be thinner, and thus have significantly less strength - which, of course, can lead to breaking.

When the racquet is freshly strung, check to see if the strings at the top touch the floor if you place the racquet top down on the floor.

Of course, the other scenarios mentioned above are realistic possibilities, as well.