PDA

View Full Version : Playing with rackets without overgrips

EclipseRydr97
04-06-2006, 10:03 PM
WRONG TITLE, I meant without Replacement grips, not overgrips...

Does that affect the stability of the racket somehow or not? I used to have a 4 1/2 grip size, but now I need it slightly bigger, and 4 5/8 is too big. So I remove the replacement grip of the one with 4 5/8 and add 2-3 overgrips and it feels great. Just curious if anyone else does not play with replacement grips and if that affects the racket somehow?

byealmeens
04-07-2006, 06:26 AM
I've heard of people doing this and I don't understand why. To answer your question, YES, it does affect the balance. In your case, probably not much as you are using THREE overgrips, so in total, they will weigh fairly the same as the average replacement grip, maybe a little less. That being said, I can't believe that this set-up would be as comfortable as a replacement grip - but that's just me....

My question to you is - why not keep the 4 1/2 frame and just add an overgrip over the replacement grip, rather than taking a 5/8 and performing this operation? Also, there are thinner replacement grips, as well as thinner leather grips you could use to make the grip a bit smaller. Which gets me back to my original point - why would someone need to do this??

bee
04-07-2006, 07:56 AM
Sure, you can do that. I've played that way quite a bit. I find 2 TournaGrip XL's directly onto the naked handle provides pretty adequate padding. I've played with just one. Feels a little hard but you can sure feel the bevels. Obviusly can change the balance a bit but if it feels good and you play well don't worry about it.

EclipseRydr97
04-07-2006, 08:09 AM
Only reason I did that was because I gave up looking for 4 1/2 rackets since I couldn't find anymore, so I bought a 4 5/8 stick instead. Are there people that specialize in grip size shrinking or is that such a thing?

byealmeens
04-07-2006, 08:17 AM
Only reason I did that was because I gave up looking for 4 1/2 rackets since I couldn't find anymore, so I bought a 4 5/8 stick instead. Are there people that specialize in grip size shrinking or is that such a thing?
Where are you looking? Generally, 4 1/2 and 4 3/8 are much more popular than 5/8. As a 5/8s user, I can tell you this from experience.

There are places which will sand grips down to make them smaller, but again, you will change the balance of the frame as you will have to remove material. It's a lot easier to build up from a smaller grip size, than "shrink" a larger one. Of course, that too changes the balance and weight.

EclipseRydr97
04-07-2006, 09:11 AM
If you can help me find a Precision Response Titanium Prince racket that is 4 1/2, then I understand what you're saying, if not...well, you probably won't find it anyway.

Can any store that offers this service do this or does it have to be a racket shop? I live in CA, northern CA, anyone know any places that can have that done here?

byealmeens
04-07-2006, 01:19 PM
If you can help me find a Precision Response Titanium Prince racket that is 4 1/2, then I understand what you're saying, if not...well, you probably won't find it anyway.
There's one on the big auction site for $40.00 "buy it now". Will that work?? Also there have been a few available on these boards as well.

You can try a racquet customization shop, but doing that will cost more than the price of the frame. Might try to purchase another one in a 1/2, or switch to a frame that is in current production. Then you can order whatever you like....