PDA

View Full Version : Soft Rubber Grommets?

ears
04-06-2006, 09:40 PM
I just strung a Wilson Trance OS for the first time tonight. I was intrigued to find soft rubber grommets on eight of the center cross strings. I haven't strung rackets for very long but I don't ever remember having a racket with anything but hard plastic grommets. They were a little 'sticky' when pulling the cross strings thru, but other than that, they were no problem to work with. I would guess that this would be a great way to make a stiff modern stick a little more arm friendly. I'm curious as to why these haven't been used more in the racket industry. Any thoughts?

str33t
04-06-2006, 09:56 PM
These are also used in my old Wilson Hyper Hammer 4.0. I think they are used to absorb shock better. I don't know why they arent used today...It would be a really good thing to add.

Midlife crisis
04-06-2006, 11:54 PM
I just strung a Wilson Trance OS for the first time tonight. I was intrigued to find soft rubber grommets on eight of the center cross strings. I haven't strung rackets for very long but I don't ever remember having a racket with anything but hard plastic grommets. They were a little 'sticky' when pulling the cross strings thru, but other than that, they were no problem to work with. I would guess that this would be a great way to make a stiff modern stick a little more arm friendly. I'm curious as to why these haven't been used more in the racket industry. Any thoughts?

These were also used on at least the Head TiS5CZ, which was probably first produced in 2000 or 2001. I think it may apply to all of the CZ (Comfort Zone) series, though I don't know that for sure.

I'm not sure how well it actually works, but the TiS5CZ is a pretty nice hitting racquet for what it is.

ears
04-07-2006, 06:42 AM
Does anyone know if someone makes generic grommet replacements like these or are they model specific only? I haven't seen them here at TW or at any of the other usual suspects. I wouldn't mind trying some out on my Frankenstein Slaz X-1.