PDA

View Full Version : Customized Cat-8 VE?

LAW2
04-07-2006, 06:05 AM
I am a proud new owner of this racquet and am curious what customization and string setups you are currently using. Mine is bone stock except for an overgrip and I strung it at 57# with Ashaway Dynamite 17ga.

SC in MA
04-07-2006, 07:13 AM
I bought my Cat8ve used. It came with a balsa wood modified Wilson shaped grip. It also came strung with some sort of syn gut, which played pretty well, so I waited till it broke before restringing. I've only strung it once with Gosen Micro 16 at 58lbs. The Gosen string job is a little less powerful than the original. I have a set of BDE Perf 16ga gut that I'll probably use next time.

I prefer to play my rackets stock, but I did add two inch strips of lead at 3 and 9 to add a bit of weight.

You can do a search on the user Rabbit and drak related to the Cat8ve. Both did mods on theirs.

What is your impression of the Cat8ve so far ?

LAW2
04-11-2006, 06:38 AM
So far I really like it. It has the additional pop I was looking for. It has revealed the need for me hit with more topspin. This is not a con of the racquet just a shortcoming in my game. At net really nice. Serves I am still adjusting to the shorter length but they too are better when hit properly. I hope you like yours as much as I like mine. I would like to hear a little more about the grip modification.

jayserinos99
04-11-2006, 09:44 AM
^ i sold SCinMA that Cat8. I didn't even know it was there when I sold him the racquet. In stock form, I loved how it vollied but couldn't get over the lack of weight in the head for groundies. When I added lead tape at the 3/9/handle, groundies were nicer and the vollies remained nice as well. The strings in it though are fairly tight at 60 lbs. so I need to restring them at a lower tension like 55 lbs with 16G syn gut.

skraggle
04-11-2006, 11:10 AM
I bought one from Jim Hendricks that he modified with lead at 3&9, top of handle and butt, and it hits a really nice ball when strung at higher tensions. I haven't had the chance to ask him for specifics, but will share details when I do...