PDA

View Full Version : Silvia Farina Elia: "Strings are much more important than racquets"

DADYO
04-07-2006, 08:58 AM
I was going through an old interview which Silvia Farina Elia did for an italian tennis magazine.

She talked a bit about the equipment on tour, and also said that even though she went through many racquets in her career, what a player really needs to find the perfect setup is the right string for them, not so much the right racquet.

Just thought I'd post this related to the other thread recently started in this forum.

What do you think?

Rasta
04-07-2006, 09:10 AM
A local pro told me one time that he could play with any racket if the string was right. I go at it in the opposite direction. I find the right racket first and then tinker with the string setup.

Onion
04-07-2006, 09:13 AM
While both make a difference, I would say that the string job is the more important of the two.

A good stringjob can make a cheap frame play well. However, a bad stringjob can make your favorite racquet play and feel like crap. Regardless of how good a frame is, it's nothing without a good stringer.

So the best is when you find the frame that fits the player and have it strung up with a string/tension that also suits that player.

milo
04-07-2006, 10:34 AM
i think any racquet from different brands with similar specs is the same. for example a lm prestige with fxp prestige or even with yonex rd ti 80. maybe she also changed racquet from time to time with similar specs. so it is not a matter to her.

ears
04-07-2006, 10:41 AM
I'd say the racket is 40%, the right string setup, 60%, FWIW.

gonzalocatalino
04-07-2006, 11:09 AM
imo, the real thing is that you need to find the right string for the right racquet. I mean, in some racquets X string will work, and in others just dont.
In my case, i used to hate polys playing with ncode sixone or babolats, but now i found a great match between my volkls or yonex and polys.

Senator Jay Bullworth
04-07-2006, 11:12 AM
I agree with everything you all said about strings.

As for Silvia: She has the nicest (meatiest), most callipygian "toliet" on the WTA tour.

The rumper-dumper supreme.

None sounder--none rounder.

FuZz_Da_AcE
04-07-2006, 08:57 PM
I'd say the racket is 40%, the right string setup, 60%, FWIW.

sorry whats FWIW stand for?

fishuuuuu
04-07-2006, 09:41 PM
For what it's worth.

kinsella
04-07-2006, 09:59 PM
in my book, the racquet is 80%, string 20%, but that 20% is really important.