PDA

View Full Version : ***FRAUD ALERT*** PayPal Inc. <Service@PayPal.C0M>

Dennis Chan
04-07-2006, 08:03 AM
I received the following email. It is definitely a fraud. Beware!! Don't click any link and definitely don't login with your password.

PayPal Inc. <Service@PayPal.C0M>
Sent : Friday, April 7, 2006 8:53 AM
To : chankaihing@hotmail.com
Subject : Forgotten Password!

| | | Inbox

You have added laptopseller@yahoo.com as a new email address for your
PayPal account.
If you did not authorize this change or if you need assistance with
your account, please contact PayPal customer service at:
https://www.paypal.com/row/wf/f=ap_email

Rasta
04-07-2006, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I never click on links in those kinds of messages. It's better to go to your account by typing in the URL and saving it to your favorites list.

arnz
04-07-2006, 08:51 AM
Looks like somebody already has gotten into your paypal account and is requesting to have that fake email added....

Caswell
04-07-2006, 09:45 AM
Looks like somebody already has gotten into your paypal account and is requesting to have that fake email added....

Nope. It's a standard phishing scam. If you could look at the original e-mail and hover over the link provided, you'd find that it was not directing you to a Paypal site, but one set up to look like a Paypal site long enough to get you to enter your name and password.

I've had the same Hotmail address for close to 10 years - it's a spam / scam magnet. I get tons of phishing scam e-mails, posing as Paypal, ****, various banks, etc. Some of them are so poorly done that it's laughable, others are pretty slick.

SocalTennis
04-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Yeah, I have received a couple of these emails from Paypal, it's a scam. Paypal would never ask you for your ATM pin number. Beware

armand
04-07-2006, 10:27 AM
Same deal as with an E Bay scam. Says there's a problem with your account and asks for your password. It was funny when I got that one because I don't even have an E Bay account! Losers.

tennis_nerd22
04-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Same deal as with an E Bay scam. Says there's a problem with your account and asks for your password. It was funny when I got that one because I don't even have an E Bay account! Losers.

lmao thats hillarious :rolleyes:

Cruzer
04-07-2006, 12:23 PM
I have received several of these obviously bogus emails. If you have not done it already you should forward the link to PayPal so they can follow up on it.

KFwinds
04-09-2006, 07:32 PM
The thing to remember is this:

All of those reputable sites that we trust with our bank account/credit card information ( e b a y, paypal, your internet service provider, etc...) will NEVER ask you for your password or any kind of account information in an email. As another poster stated, they set up a fake link to try to get you to volunteer your info; many steal the logos of the site where you have the account so it looks very real (i.e. Paypal).

Davai
04-09-2006, 08:05 PM
I got several such emails and I'm ashamed I thought it was real. First of all it looked strange becuase they send it to the wrong email address. I went to the site and entered my username and password. Then they wanted to "confirm" some information, but I decided that's something is too strange. I went to a new URL, to the paypal web site, and entered my username and password but I couldn't log on, apparently I forgot my password. I went on to check that's I actually had forgotten my password, and yes indeed until today I still have no idea what's my password or what number I put in the secret question. So I guess no harm done, but it was very close.
Funny thing I got an email from some Clemens claiming that he wants me to invest his money, several millions, in real estate and help him make a profit so he can move to the US. As you can see being a rich political refugee doesn't mean that he can seek political assylum but he needs to make a greater profit.

beernutz
04-10-2006, 05:28 PM
I got several such emails and I'm ashamed I thought it was real. First of all it looked strange becuase they send it to the wrong email address. I went to the site and entered my username and password. Then they wanted to "confirm" some information, but I decided that's something is too strange.

I think you are toast. I would log into the "legitimate" site and change your password asap. If you can't login to that site I would contact their support asap and have them change it for you and attempt to get them to cancel any transactions that were unauthorized.

Midlife crisis
04-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Nope. It's a standard phishing scam. If you could look at the original e-mail and hover over the link provided, you'd find that it was not directing you to a Paypal site, but one set up to look like a Paypal site long enough to get you to enter your name and password.

If you're using IE, this also assumes that you've implemented the patch to prevent the utilization of a character set that will mask the fact that the URL is fake.

pangea
04-11-2006, 12:24 AM
I was once hooked up by this more than a year ago. What they did was they listed product with my id. I noticed this fraud activity thanks to **** listing confirmation mail. I contacted **** right away, and they fixed the problem. I had to change my password though. Sometimes, I find very suspicious auction items, which are ridiculously cheaper than usual with buy it now option. I put them in the watch list, then 90% of time, the listing is gone next day due to the fraud.
So buyers be careful, when it is too good to be true. If you find that the sellers don't have any activity for a long time, then they start to list bunch of too-good-to-be-true items, be cautious. Don't be a victim of slimy boosters.

Davai
04-11-2006, 08:00 AM
I think you are toast. I would log into the "legitimate" site and change your password asap. If you can't login to that site I would contact their support asap and have them change it for you and attempt to get them to cancel any transactions that were unauthorized.

Well the thing is that the password that was stolen from me is incorrect for paypal. That password doesn't have enough letters to be qualified as a password for paypal minimum requirements.