PDA

View Full Version : Advice: Shortening a Dunlop 200+

10SDad
04-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Been playing with leaded 300G's for two years and demo'd several racquets last Fall including 200 M-Fil. I loved the solid feel and net play, but was a bit heavy for long matches and I wasn't sure I liked the 18x20, so I took a chance and bought 2 200+'s. I've been struggling to find a groove with them. They are good on serves and O/H's, but I'm swinging late on groundies, slow on picking up half-volleys, and not quick enough at the net. Stability is good, but the added 1/2" is an issue. I like to swing out, and notice it right away when I switch back to my 300G. I'm thinking about experimenting with one by cutting off 1/2" to the standard 27" to increase my ability to get around on the ball. I know that will change the specs, but I'm hoping to lead it back up a bit closer to the standard 200.

Anyone taken a shot at cutting down racquet length? Any showstoppers to doing it? My other option is to counter-weight in the handle, which yes, I know I can try first. Hoping I can create something close to the standard 200 with a slightly larger head and more open string pattern, but my fear is that I will potentially just ruin the racquet. I did notice that Dunlop has already placed weight in the handle that I would have to cut through.

Thoughts?

TJ

10SDad
04-07-2006, 09:32 AM
To clarify: These are 200+ MFils.

louis netman
04-07-2006, 10:01 AM
start off by cuting off 1/4"...if you're precise, use a hacksaw...if not use a jigsaw with guide...

diredesire
04-07-2006, 11:21 AM
apparently dunlop is coming out with a 2006 version of the 200+, and it will be 27". Which is a pity.

As far as cutting down the handle:
Strip the grip off
Remove the buttcap by removing the staples.

Take a carbide tipped blade or a hack saw and carefully cut off your desired length. Re-fit the buttcap and staple.

If you have a table saw or similar, a carbide blade will ensure you get a nice cut, even if there is reinforcing material in the handle (POG/changs had aluminum inserts in some racquets)

If i were you i'd just find out about the newer 200+s, because fiddling with weight and balancing is typically more trouble than it's worth.

watch_the_ball
04-07-2006, 12:53 PM
TW will have the new m-fil 200+ (2006 model, 27") around mid april. There are some retailers that already have it.

10SDad
04-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Great info from all of you, thanks. Diredesire, thanks for the cutting info. I did see where you've posted on that before, so my apologies for not finding that first. Change in flex is one area I hadn't taken into consideration. Not sure how much that will impact control, or how much the shorter length will offset any control issues caused by higher flex. I'm assuming potential for TE may go up with increased flex as well...which I've had problems with at times with my 300G's.

I have some singles tomorrow morning at the club. If I can muster up the courage, I may try taking off 1/4" tonight from one racquet and test it out tomorrow. If so, I'll report my results.

jackson vile
04-07-2006, 02:44 PM
TW will have the new m-fil 200+ (2006 model, 27") around mid april. There are some retailers that already have it.
How is it a plus if it is 27":confused:

jackson vile
04-07-2006, 02:45 PM
apparently dunlop is coming out with a 2006 version of the 200+, and it will be 27". Which is a pity.

As far as cutting down the handle:
Strip the grip off
Remove the buttcap by removing the staples.

Take a carbide tipped blade or a hack saw and carefully cut off your desired length. Re-fit the buttcap and staple.

If you have a table saw or similar, a carbide blade will ensure you get a nice cut, even if there is reinforcing material in the handle (POG/changs had aluminum inserts in some racquets)

If i were you i'd just find out about the newer 200+s, because fiddling with weight and balancing is typically more trouble than it's worth.

How is this racket working out for you, how would you compare it to say a LMP+?

tpduke112
04-07-2006, 03:01 PM
How is it a plus if it is 27":confused:
same question?

diredesire
04-07-2006, 05:21 PM
How is this racket working out for you, how would you compare it to say a LMP+?
I haven't shortened my 200g XLs, but they're playing fine, surprisingly low amount of power for a racquet of it's weight and length.

DragonFly
04-07-2006, 11:11 PM
How is it a plus if it is 27":confused: it has different specs than the mfil 200, apparently swings much easiert than the non plus version. I guess its called plus because it has a larger headsize

10SDad
04-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Well, I decided to go for it, so here are the results.

I removed the grip and buttcap, marked off 1/2", and used a new size 32 fine hacksaw blade and my mitre box to cut the handle. Everything went smooth, and re-assembly was fine. The staples were easy to pound back in, and the grip went on fine, with just a little trimming to re-fit. I put .4 oz of lead (pinewood derby cylindrical weight - 5 sections) into the handle with foam, and put 4 - 5" pcs. of 1/4" lead tape at 9 and 3 on the head (about 2 grams). Not sure yet what the overall weight of the racquet now is, but I made sure the balance point is the same...7pts head light. I use two overgrips, so it ends up about 8 pts. head light. Hit singles with it today. I was a bit nervous at first, but that didn't last long. All I can say is WOW! This was just the ticket. I now have the control of my 300G's, but the stability and bigger sweetspot the 200 frame brings. Power level on groundstrokes did not seem to be affected, but control is much, much better. I may have lost a little bit of power on flat serves, but slice and kick are much better. I've been messing with a two-handed BH for two years, but couldn't ever get it. One-handed BH is back in force, and slice shots stay low and are easy to get through. It's also helped my topspin. Maneuverability at net is so much better, and I'm volleying more solidly than I ever have. Overall, this was a great move for me, and I'll be trimming the other one soon. This is now playing the way I hoped it would stock.