PDA

View Full Version : Need Help re: late-model Donnay Pro One mid

Colpo
04-07-2006, 12:45 PM
Take a look at this random link from the web:

http://www.ellic-sport.com/tennis.html

I recently obtained one midsize version (85-90 head from the looks of it) of the "Pro One" supermid shown in the upper left of the link. Looks and feels like an amazing "player's" racquet, but I know nothing about it. Boxy flatbeam profile that's at most 17-18 mm thick (PS 85-like). Glossy paint. Braided graphite and kevlar. Weighs 12.7 oz. strung with a leather grip and synth overgrip. It says "Pro One" on both sides at 12 o'clock, and "Midsize" on both sides at 6 o'clock.

I've seen this racquet version in a "Supermidsize" before, but never a "Midsize". I also have a few "Rusedski Pro" supermids, but they're different frames. Even the "Pro Ones" that resulted from and after Agassi's time with Donnay, I thought, were only MP and OS, never just Mid.

Long story short, did a little wall hitting yesterday, comparing it to my nCode Tour 90s, and without getting into any string/tension issues, this mystery Donnay feels incredible, like a hybrid of a Prestige Pro (flex, forgiveness) and a PS 85 (firm, low-to-the-ground, solid feel). Actually, I will mention one string issue: the strings currently in this nasty Donnay are no-name and feel quite loose, and it still plays like it was born from jets - a real, fresh stringjob will only make it better.

Can anyone shed some light on this midsize frame? From what I've pieced together (some of you guys have helped with this, no doubt), this thin-beam "Pro One" series was a continuation of the "Pro One" model brand Donnay created for Agassi back in 1989, and this red-white-blue cosmetic was the version that existed back when Donnay signed Rusedski around 1999. Rusedski's PS 6.1 95 were then paint-jobbed to look like this already existing Donnay "Pro One" series. Donnay then carried over the "Pro One" cosmetic into the new Rusedski line cosmetic, rather than creating a wholly new colorway for their poster boy Greg. The "Rusedski Pro" properly customized can be made to bear a close resemblance to Greg's original PS 6.1 95. However, none of the Rusedski series sold to the public came close to matching the "Pro One" series specs, particularly in beam width and static weight. Sound right? Thanks in advance.

ericsson
04-07-2006, 01:59 PM
colpo, i'm the man you need here:mrgreen: you're very lucky you have that racket, post some pics if you can ok. let me tell you a little more, you probebly have a donnay midsize, that is braided graphite (FWT) with a little kevlar added, it is a 85 sq. inch and its beam is 16.5 mm constant, it weighs 335 grams unstrung. you will ask yourself how i know this? well first of all i'm a fan of donnay and back in 1997-98 i had a catalogue of the donnay line, me myself and i bought three supermidsize then, they all had the same colours and of the pro one line their were three models, midsize, supermidsize and oversize. but the mid i never saw, i think it's very rare. where did you got that?? anyway it should be a fine stick (in the right hands ;) )
hope i helped.

Colpo
04-07-2006, 02:27 PM
colpo, i'm the man you need here:mrgreen: you're very lucky you have that racket, post some pics if you can ok. let me tell you a little more, you probebly have a donnay midsize, that is braided graphite (FWT) with a little kevlar added, it is a 85 sq. inch and its beam is 16.5 mm constant, it weighs 335 grams unstrung. you will ask yourself how i know this? well first of all i'm a fan of donnay and back in 1997-98 i had a catalogue of the donnay line, me myself i bought three supermids then, they all had the same colours and of the pro one line their were three models, midsize, supermidsize and oversize. but the mid i never saw, i think it's very rare. where did you got that?? anyway it should be a fine stick (in the right hands ;) )
hope i helped.

ericsson, you've helped me with the Donnay Rusedski line in the past and now, thanks. Everything you say about this racquet sounds correct, for sure. The head size, beam width and weight sound exactly correct (16.5 mm!). The fact that you say this was from the '97-'98 racquet line would confirm that Rusedski's racquets were paint-jobbed to look like this "Pro One" series (Greg joined Donnay in '99). I've seen the supermid of this series, and the mid I have looks virtually identical except for headsize and the word "midsize" at the throat. Like I said, it does hit quite fine. I bought it from someone in England, easily 9.7/10 condition (virtually spotless - must have sat in a closet for years). Indeed, I'm pleased. Thanks again.