PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm - I might have to ditch my Prostaffs!

Galactus
04-07-2006, 11:49 AM
I played for an hour tonight with the 300g Babolat Pure Drive+ (with NO lead tape added) and have discovered I can add loads more power AND control on both my serves, forehands and backhands than i do with my leaded-up Wilson racquets.

We had a speed-gun set up at the tennis centre where I play and I had a test done on my 1st and 2nd serves: out of 20 serves, my fastest was 106mph on my 1st and 65mph on my 2nd as opposed to 95mph and 59mph with my Prostaff.

Even more alarmingly, my groundstrokes were like tracer-bullets using the Pure Drive and a much larger % stayed in as opposed to when I used my Prostaff racquets. Seriously, I'd never used one of these racquets before, but I was really swinging through...

I'm now in a dilemma: do I continue using the Prostaff and improve my technique...or go and buy one of these 100" racquets tomorrow and start blasted my opponents away?? :confused: :mrgreen:

Bolt
04-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Tennis is about having fun. Do you derive pleasure from blasting opponents?

Kevo
04-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Maybe that just means you serve faster with a lighter frame. Have you tried any other lighter frames?

SCSI
04-07-2006, 12:25 PM
Play with the racket that helps you win more often. Don't sell your old one yet, as you may be experiencing the Racket Honeymoon Syndrome.

Galactus
04-07-2006, 12:33 PM
No - that was just a flippant comment really. However, like everyone, I do like seeing ball fly past for an ace occasionally though
Maybe that just means you serve faster with a lighter frame. Have you tried any other lighter frames?
Originally, I got really bad elbow-ache when using the Prostaff with no lead-weight. Usually I stay well away from lighter frames. But I tried this one for an hour and felt comfortable with it right away.
Play with the racket that helps you win more often. Don't sell your old one yet, as you may be experiencing the Racket Honeymoon Syndrome.
Yes, I understand what you're saying, but not only was there increased power/speed but a higher % of 1st/2nd serves went in as well. And I've never, ever used a racquet lighter than 340g.
The most important aspect was the groundies - I was overhitting, big time with the Prostaff. Not so with the PD+.

knasty131
04-07-2006, 12:39 PM
well what prostaffs are they??? odds are i would love to take them off your hands

DRtenniS1112
04-07-2006, 12:50 PM
That sick pleasure is the reason i play.

armand
04-07-2006, 12:53 PM

Yes, I understand what you're saying, but not only was there increased power/speed but a higher % of 1st/2nd serves went in as well. And I've never, ever used a racquet lighter than 340g.
The most important aspect was the groundies - I was overhitting, big time with the Prostaff. Not so with the PD+.There's more to the honeymoon period than that, I'm afraid.
If you've been using a racquet that has a certain weight but I think balance especially, you get accustomed to swinging that. Right now, your strokes are grooved no matter what you use because your familiar tool was used not long ago.
But over time your strokes can erode from using the different racquet.
Monitor it carefully because it may happen(slowly). Hopefully it won't!

Galactus
04-07-2006, 01:00 PM
There's more to the honeymoon period than that, I'm afraid.
If you've been using a racquet that has a certain weight but I think balance especially, you get accustomed to swinging that. Right now, your strokes are grooved no matter what you use because your familiar tool was used not long ago.
But over time your strokes can erode from using the different racquet.
Monitor it carefully because it may happen(slowly). Hopefully it won't!
It's werid. I was playing a match with my Prostaff Tour90, leaded-up to 380g and I couldnt put a ball in to safe my life, either on serves or groundies. The harder I tried, the worse it got. And the more I thought about it, the more i wanted to 'Safinate' it into the court surface.

So, I said to my friend, 'let me try your Pure Drive' and the change was immediate: my friend even said the change was quite alarming: not only were my serves fizzing through, but my groundies were...like bullets - I can't explain it.
I was swinging with exactly the same speed and technique as I've always done, yet I was winning more points.

I ended up changing the 2-6, 1-6 scoreline into 2-6, 1-6, 6-2.

The only reservation I have about using such a racquet as the Pure Drive is the problems I'm sure will arise with my elbow after prolonged use. This racquet was 300g.

What to do? Continue using the 90" ProStaff at 380g and get beaten week after week or change racquets????

Ronaldo
04-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Galactus, that extra speed and power may also be the result of using an extra-long racquet. Just beware of arm trouble, especially if your unleaded PS gave you TE in the past.

Galactus
04-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Galactus, that extra speed and power may also be the result of using an extra-long racquet. Just beware of arm trouble, especially if your unleaded PS gave you TE in the past.Couldn't that be counter-acted by 20-30g of lead?
I know one thing is for sure: I really do think I need a racquet with a larger head....:-|

armand
04-07-2006, 01:18 PM
Allow me to officially recommend the Yonex RD-ti80. 98sq" head, but still has other classic features like thinner beam and good weight+balance. And it's arm friendly and is very open to customization with its 315 SW.

Galactus
04-07-2006, 01:20 PM
Allow me to officially recommend the Yonex RD-ti80. 98sq" head, but still has other classic features like thinner beam and good weight+balance. And it's arm friendly and is very open to customization with its 315 SW.
Is that the racquet you changed to from your PS 6.0 85?

armand
04-07-2006, 01:40 PM
Is that the racquet you changed to from your PS 6.0 85?Actually, it's the racquet I changed from to the 6.0 85. But it was a very smooth transition and I still use it during tough doubles matches and sometimes in singles when I'm getting forced way behind the baseline and need to just grind it out.

Aside: One time, I put 2 large coins under the butt cap and the racquet turned into a plowing machine worthy of Zeus. It would just cream the ball and punish it without mercy. It was so boulder-steady and yet it was still very manueverable. Needless to say, it had way too much power for my wild swing, but it was very interesting while it lasted.
I imagine a similar thing happening with the PureDrive but more power.

jackson vile
04-07-2006, 02:49 PM
I played for an hour tonight with the 300g Babolat Pure Drive+ (with NO lead tape added) and have discovered I can add loads more power AND control on both my serves, forehands and backhands than i do with my leaded-up Wilson racquets.

We had a speed-gun set up at the tennis centre where I play and I had a test done on my 1st and 2nd serves: out of 20 serves, my fastest was 106mph on my 1st and 65mph on my 2nd as opposed to 95mph and 59mph with my Prostaff.

Even more alarmingly, my groundstrokes were like tracer-bullets using the Pure Drive and a much larger % stayed in as opposed to when I used my Prostaff racquets. Seriously, I'd never used one of these racquets before, but I was really swinging through...

I'm now in a dilemma: do I continue using the Prostaff and improve my technique...or go and buy one of these 100" racquets tomorrow and start blasted my opponents away?? :confused: :mrgreen:

How was the feel? If you stay at the baseline and do not depend on touch then yea.

vinky
04-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Galactus,

You seem sold on the PD+. If you're playing so much better with it, and you're physically in good enough shape to use it w/o too much concern for injury, why not keep using it. You don't even need to sell, throw away, feed to your dog, or do anything to your prostaffs if you have any concerns and want to revert back to your old racquets.

If the racquet helps you, just accept it I guess... it's not like you're cheating or anything :)

lucky leprechaun
04-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Yeah the word cheating and pure drive plus seems to go together a lot ever since the racquet came out. I always recommend this racquet to my friends with two handers, because its so good to hit backhands on.

Galactus
04-07-2006, 07:06 PM
(BTW, this comparison-thread mainly relates between the Pure Drive+ and the Prostaff Tour90)

Anyway, back to when I'm using the ProStaff 6.0 85": I can definately feel the racquet crush the ball on impact...but the thing is, you have to be really consistently accurate to middle it time after time on both serves and groundstrokes. Also, 2nd serves are harder to get topspin/kick on (for me anyway).
Not so with the Pure Drive - even at a full 80g lighter I got more power, speed and spin, albeit with a faster swing, but I'm sure if I use this often, I'm going to suffer elbow problems if I don't lead it up to a similar weight of around 340g+.

So - is the general consensus of using such racquets really 'cheating'? :confused: :mrgreen:
I must admit, I was always suspicious of such large racquets, but I can see why they're used so much now: it's kind of like going from one drug to another.... ;)

The only other racquet I've been considering (but havent used yet) is the Head Prestige Classic 600 mid...but someone on here (Adely?) advised me that it had an even smaller sweetspot than the Prostaff...

Galactus
04-07-2006, 07:09 PM
How was the feel? If you stay at the baseline and do not depend on touch then yea.
Funnily enough, the PD+ felt good on both volleys and hitting winners off the short ball at the service-line...which the Prostaff Tour90 didn't.
Even on the 2nd-serve I was coming to the net...

cabernetjunkie
04-08-2006, 08:25 AM
I'm glad I came across this thread. I've always played with slightly heavier racquets such as the 200g, prestige, and others. The past few years I've been buying alot of 10.5-11.0 ounce racquets (i'm not getting any younger) but none of them have stuck. I have lost a step or two in my old age. What I am trying to get to is do you consider yourself to have good mechanics as far as your strokes go and do you think that playing with that stick will benefit you more so than the pro staff. I hope I'm making sense. I consider myself to have good fundamental strokes but I just cant get to the ball like I used to. Plus, I love winning points on the first serve and I'm thinking about trying that racquet out.:D

Galactus
04-08-2006, 09:32 AM
I'm glad I came across this thread. I've always played with slightly heavier racquets such as the 200g, prestige, and others. The past few years I've been buying alot of 10.5-11.0 ounce racquets (i'm not getting any younger) but none of them have stuck. I have lost a step or two in my old age. What I am trying to get to is do you consider yourself to have good mechanics as far as your strokes go and do you think that playing with that stick will benefit you more so than the pro staff. I hope I'm making sense. I consider myself to have good fundamental strokes but I just cant get to the ball like I used to. Plus, I love winning points on the first serve and I'm thinking about trying that racquet out.:D
I find that with the Pure Drive, I was crushing the ball for winners and 1st-serve aces with minimal effort - compared to that of the Prostaff Original anyway.
When I serve with the Prostaff, I definately use more knee-bend/torso-twist and explode up off my feet, up though my body> shoulder > elbow.
When I used the Pure Drive, I definately felt more use of my arm and shoulder than I thought was neccessary - especially given that I suffered elbow-pain on lighter racquets last summer.

Marius_Hancu
04-08-2006, 09:37 AM
(BTW, this comparison-thread mainly relates between the Pure Drive+ and the Prostaff Tour90)

Not so with the Pure Drive - even at a full 80g lighter I

Pure Drive+
Strung Weight: 11.3oz / 320g
Are you telling me you have 400g on your 6.0? Didn't think so.

Marius_Hancu
04-08-2006, 09:40 AM
The only other racquet I've been considering (but havent used yet) is the Head Prestige Classic 600 mid...but someone on here (Adely?) advised me that it had an even smaller sweetspot than the Prostaff...

comparable, to my mind.

we don't have any real measuruments on that.

I'd like to do that, should any sponsor show up:-)

bluegrasser
04-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Galactus - cheating ?? then I guess 30% of the players on tour are cheats along with Mr. Bonds. Just try a NXT string in the PD, better for the arm.

Galactus
04-08-2006, 09:50 AM
Galactus - cheating ?? then I guess 30% of the players on tour are cheats along with Mr. Bonds. Just try a NXT string in the PD, better for the arm.
Actually, I tried NXT17 on my Prostaff 85...and that along with 25g of lead did the trick!
But - I do have to say, I was generating serious heat on 1st serves (at my level of playing, anyway) with that Pure Drive - it had no lead and had the standard factory strings that it ships with...don't know what type or what tension the stand is though...

bluegrasser
04-08-2006, 09:54 AM
The PD is a great serving stick, that's it's strength, and if that's what makes your game go, then switch my man. Maybe play a practice set with each racquet, and see which one comes out on top.

bc-05
04-08-2006, 09:55 AM
i heard alot of people say that the prince turbo shark plays similar to the pure drives.. and from wat i see on the TW site.. it shows that the stifness is only 64.. maybe this is a more arm friendly version of the puredrive and u might wanna demo it.. /me shrugs

rocket
04-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Funnily enough, the PD+ felt good on both volleys and hitting winners off the short ball at the service-line...which the Prostaff Tour90 didn't.
Even on the 2nd-serve I was coming to the net...

Then the PD+ is the stick for ya. Stay away from poly strings, bad combo if you asked me.:cool:

Galactus
04-08-2006, 10:20 AM
The PD is a great serving stick, that's it's strength, and if that's what makes your game go, then switch my man. Maybe play a practice set with each racquet, and see which one comes out on top.
Well, I'm enquiring about the Prestige Classic 600 - I don't mind buying such racquets as they are pretty much 'de facto' in quality.
The Pure Drive I can play-test my friend's that he uses.

As for it being a serving-stick - that much was evident for me...but also the flat groundies I could put away clean and hard was quite a revelation: I always went along with assuming that Babolats were mainly topspin-racuets...

DANMAN
04-08-2006, 10:59 AM
the PC is going to be worlds less powerful and spinny than the PD+. I have been playing with the PD+ for 5 years and have never had an elbow twinge. I play poly at lower tensions but have recently been enjoying gut. The PD+ is not as hard on strings as I would have expected...the gut is lasting well and playing great. I suggest you give this setup a try as I would have had to cut the poly out 2-3 times to achieve the same playability to longevity ratio.

Galactus
04-08-2006, 11:08 AM
the PC is going to be worlds less powerful and spinny than the PD+. I have been playing with the PD+ for 5 years and have never had an elbow twinge. I play poly at lower tensions but have recently been enjoying gut. The PD+ is not as hard on strings as I would have expected...the gut is lasting well and playing great. I suggest you give this setup a try as I would have had to cut the poly out 2-3 times to achieve the same playability to longevity ratio.
Any idea how the Pure Drive Team compares with the Pure Drive Roddick?

Galactus
04-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Pure Drive+
Strung Weight: 11.3oz / 320g
Are you telling me you have 400g on your 6.0? Didn't think so.
My mistake - I thought the PD was 300g....but that's unstrung.
My Prostaff currently weight at 385g.

CornNutz
04-08-2006, 06:23 PM
speed doesnt mean everything you proubly put more into the ball with a heavier racquet. Spin and the ball with be.... how to say this.... it will have more force behind it i guess. I can wail on balls with my pure storm mp but somereason people have more problems returning the slower balls with more on them with my n6.1

Galactus
04-10-2006, 06:40 AM
Okay, I 'ummmed' and 'ahhhed' and said I wouldn't - but I have: I bought myself a brand new Babolat Pure Drive Team+ off 'E-Bay' for $120.00.
I'll post here what results I attain withn it after my 1st game later this week...http://www.fightbeat.com/forums/images/smilies/dry.gif

bluegrasser
04-10-2006, 06:44 AM
What ! another mid has fallen, how will BP come to grips ?

Galactus
04-10-2006, 06:58 AM
What ! another mid has fallen, how will BP come to grips ?
I'm still going to use the 6.0 85 - I'm having it re-strung this week...
If the customization of my PD+ doesn't help my elbow problems, then I shall revert back to the 6.0 85 again...

cabernetjunkie
04-10-2006, 09:14 AM
Galactus- ok, after reading this thread I decided to go try one out. The one I tried out was strung with all nat. gut. After all this talk at tt I went into this thinking this stick was going to kill my arm, shoulder, and I was going to hit every ball over the fence. Well I was really surprised. This was the only racquet company that i've never tried because of all the negative remarks concerning health. This racquet plays really nice. The question I have is why does it not feel as stiff as the specs. say it is? Does it have something to do with the woofer system? Thanks.

Galactus
04-10-2006, 11:46 AM
Galactus- ok, after reading this thread I decided to go try one out. The one I tried out was strung with all nat. gut. After all this talk at tt I went into this thinking this stick was going to kill my arm, shoulder, and I was going to hit every ball over the fence. Well I was really surprised. This was the only racquet company that i've never tried because of all the negative remarks concerning health. This racquet plays really nice. The question I have is why does it not feel as stiff as the specs. say it is? Does it have something to do with the woofer system? Thanks.
You're right about the stiffness - the Pure Drive+ is stiffer than my Prostaff Tour90 and 45g lighter, yet it didn't give me half the trouble.

I can always tell pretty much right away if a racquet is for me or not: Prostaff Original took me 30 mins or so before I got comfortable with it - in contrast to the Prostaff Tour90 which took me a few weeks.
The Pure Drive+ gives me the same feeling of instant-gratification: speed, power, control....this racquet surprised me a lot.
At $120 I thought I'd buy one - I can always sell it if it's not for me in the long run.

cabernetjunkie
04-21-2006, 12:23 PM
From what it looks like in this thread it doesnt look like you bought it just to prove nbmj wrong, it kinda looks like you really enjoy hitting with it.

netman
04-21-2006, 07:24 PM
Galactus,

You have fallen to the temptation of better technology. Repent now while there is still time. Only the pure of heart can wield the mighty PS 6.0. Only the pure of spirit can withstand loss after loss, humilation after humilation, while weilding the PS 6.0 against weaker players who obviously prevail by using "modern" racquet technology instead of perfecting their form. And even though modern technology may make one a better player, it is only the weak that give in to the need to win versus the need to be pure by using an anachronism like the PS 6.0.

The PD may make you a better player, but fight the tempation. Better to suffer and lose with the PS 6.0, than win with the PD. That way you can keep your street cred with the PS 6.0 crew.

-k-

Alafter
04-21-2006, 07:28 PM
Galactus,

What if you used less arm and shoulder, and more of your body weight and waist just like when you used ps? That way perhaps you might get to keep using the pd, and apply great power with no pain?

Galactus
04-22-2006, 01:41 AM
From what it looks like in this thread it doesnt look like you bought it just to prove nbmj wrong, it kinda looks like you really enjoy hitting with it.cabernetjunkie - it certainly looks that way, but I assure you, it's pure coincidence: my friend uses a Babolat Pure Drive Team standard...I used it for 30mins and was very impressed with firstly it's power off serves and forehands...and surprisingly enough, it's control at the net. The only reservation I had was it's lightweight (oh, and the fact that on the court next to us, a woman was using one).

Galactus,
You have fallen to the temptation of better technology. Repent now while there is still time. Only the pure of heart can wield the mighty PS 6.0. Only the pure of spirit can withstand loss after loss, humilation after humilation, while weilding the PS 6.0 against weaker players who obviously prevail by using "modern" racquet technology instead of perfecting their form. And even though modern technology may make one a better player, it is only the weak that give in to the need to win versus the need to be pure by using an anachronism like the PS 6.0.
The PD may make you a better player, but fight the tempation. Better to suffer and lose with the PS 6.0, than win with the PD. That way you can keep your street cred with the PS 6.0 crew.-k-
netman - not quite: 'curiosity' is more the word in this case. I still have the ProStaff Original waiting to be re-strung and re-leaded up as we speak. And not only that, I also am awaiting delivery of a new Head Prestige Classic mid.
Yes, that's right....you heard me: I'm BACK in 'Club-Mid!!!!!!.

Galactus,
What if you used less arm and shoulder, and more of your body weight and waist just like when you used ps? That way perhaps you might get to keep using the pd, and apply great power with no pain?alafter - funnily enough, I got more pain when using my 370g ProStaff Tour90 than I do with the 335g Pure Drive+. Why this is, I have yet to discover - possibly poor strings. But your diagnosis is correct: since I started using the ProStaff Original weighing in at 385g, I found that one has to use feet, legs, torso first....either that or they aren't going to last very long on-court.

jlui21
04-22-2006, 02:11 PM
Galactus,

The PD may make you a better player, but fight the tempation. Better to suffer and lose with the PS 6.0, than win with the PD. That way you can keep your street cred with the PS 6.0 crew.

-k-

haha. smart and witty. I enjoyed it.

Now Mr. Galactus and to all other readers, why does a larger face generally mean you get more pace? Based on the law of conservation of momentum, the heavier the racquet with good racquet speed should generate and impart more velocity to the ball. Of course, there is something I am missing so someone please do inform me.

Oh yeah, I am tempted to switching to a Prostaff Classic 6.1 (95 sq inches - larger head size) b.c it should give me a bit more power/pace than my PS 6.0. I still overhit with the PS 6.0, but I just now realized that I hadn't been using a SW grip like thought I was but a blend b/w eastern forehand and SW. So I sit at the cross roads of the mid to mid-plus world. I thought about the PS 6.0 95 also, but then again I could stick with the PS tour 90...

Galactus
04-22-2006, 02:34 PM
Now Mr. Galactus and to all other readers, why does a larger face generally mean you get more pace? Based on the law of conservation of momentum, the heavier the racquet with good racquet speed should generate and impart more velocity to the ball. Of course, there is something I am missing so someone please do inform me.

Oh yeah, I am tempted to switching to a Prostaff Classic 6.1 (95 sq inches - larger head size) b.c it should give me a bit more power/pace than my PS 6.0. I still overhit with the PS 6.0, but I just now realized that I hadn't been using a SW grip like thought I was but a blend b/w eastern forehand and SW. So I sit at the cross roads of the mid to mid-plus world. I thought about the PS 6.0 95 also, but then again I could stick with the PS tour 90...
1 - Not neccessarily. Some feel that a lighter racquet with larger head-size (and larger sweetspot) allows a faster swingweight and thus connect with the ball faster. However, the trade-off is that you sacrifice control and also the racquet itself slows-down on impact causing stress on the arm.

2 - Also, you can add weight to a lightweight racquet making it more head-heavy which will also produce good pace on the ball. The trade-off for this is that you get much more stress on the arm and also, the racquet will be heavu for the return and the power is caused by the user not the racquet.

Personally, I was surprised when I could achieve so much speed from using a Prostaff Original 6.0 85 racquet, albeit leaded-up to 385g. I wasn't that surprised when i got slightly more speed from a Pure Drive weighing 300g, but I was surprised at the control. I then bought myself a Pure Drive +, leaded it up to 335g and I get consistently good-paced 1set serves without having to really put as much effort in as with using the ProStaff. After 2 hours serving with the PS 6.0, my serves were getting sloppy and my technique dipped.

My ProStaff Tour90 I will use on Monday at it's default weight of 355g and see if I still get problems with my elbow. If I do - it's going.

Latest 'Galactus'-Racquets' news: I received my Prestige Classic 600 Mid today...so play-testing it when I get chance this week. :cool: