PDA

View Full Version : 6.0 85 assassinated my rdx 500 mid today!!!!!

yonex90
04-07-2006, 01:40 PM
I have been playing with the rdx 500 and love the way that the raquet plays but it has been killing my arm. My brother has quite a few 6.0 85's and prestige classic 600 mid's sitting around and tried them out today. My arm had no pain today after playing. My shot were 10 times bettter, and I could stretch out and really hit my power shots. My weak point was the serve. It was still very quick but it lacked a little pace due to the smaller head.
I love the weight. Should I try a new rds 001mid and lead tape it up? Should I stick with the 85 and see if my serves kick better when I get used to it?

jackson vile
04-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Resting your RDX right, sounds to me it is too tight, should never go over 55lbs, should be more like 53lbs

BreakPoint
04-07-2006, 03:39 PM
The PS 6.0 85 is the best serving racquet that has ever been made. Just ask Pete Sampras. ;)

I'm sure you will get used to it and adjust. Practice serving with the PS 6.0 85 for a while. I'd bet you'll begin serving just as well with it as with your RDX 500 Mid, if not better.

string70
04-07-2006, 03:43 PM
I have been playing with the rdx 500 and love the way that the raquet plays but it has been killing my arm. My brother has quite a few 6.0 85's and prestige classic 600 mid's sitting around and tried them out today. My arm had no pain today after playing. My shot were 10 times bettter, and I could stretch out and really hit my power shots. My weak point was the serve. It was still very quick but it lacked a little pace due to the smaller head.
I love the weight. Should I try a new rds 001mid and lead tape it up? Should I stick with the 85 and see if my serves kick better when I get used to it?

a little strange, the PS 85, to me is harder on the arm than the RDX500.

ximian
04-07-2006, 04:06 PM
Yeah that's kinda weird. I actually had the exact opposite issue. I love my RDX for everything but the serves, so I switched briefly to a 6.0 85 and the serves were amazing, but I could tell it was a bit rougher on my arm.

What strings are in your RDX, and what strings are in the 6.0 85?

armand
04-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Yeah, I switched to the 6.0 85 at the end of last summer and using it was immediately second nature to me. Except serving. Serving just took a little time but now it's all good.

Kevo
04-07-2006, 07:02 PM
I think part of the reason why I always wax nostalgic when I get a chance to hit with my friends PS 85 is that it's so old it's lost a lot of it's power. That means when I wail on the ball it goes in. I think that may be why I can't serve very well with it too. It's just not near as stiff as it used to be. But man it feels good to rally with that frame. Very comfortable and controlled. For blasting serves and ground stroke winners though, my RDX mid has it beat. If I could somehow combine the two into one stick that would be a sweet stick.

yonex90
04-07-2006, 08:17 PM
I had a chance to play a bit more with the prostaff tonight and my serves were improved. The rdx was strung at 62. It had too much spring at lower tensions. I was planning on stinging it at 65 or 67. I play with a lot of power, long fast swings, and a lot of flat shots.
After playing 5 hours today my arm feels like I didn't even play tennis. A day like this with the rdx, especially when I was playing a big serve games, would have had my arm throbbing.

Galactus
04-08-2006, 02:27 AM
The PS 6.0 85 is the best serving racquet that has ever been made. Just ask Pete Sampras. ;)

I'm sure you will get used to it and adjust. Practice serving with the PS 6.0 85 for a while. I'd bet you'll begin serving just as well with it as with your RDX 500 Mid, if not better.
I think this is exactly the reason I find the Babolat Pure Drive easier to hit with. After playing with the Prostaff Original 2-3 times a week for the last 6 months and then suddenly playing with the Pure Drive for an hour last night, I was amazed at the results: more power/spin on serves and ground-strokes.
Not, I fear, so good for my elbow though.

bluegrasser
04-08-2006, 03:40 AM
Galactus: Remember what you said - " til the day I die. " :)

Galactus
04-08-2006, 03:52 AM
Galactus: Remember what you said - " til the day I die. " :)
Arrggghh!! I know, I know!
Anyway, decision has been made: I'm NOT getting a Babolat Pure Drive now. I can't risk my elbow simply for 100mph+ serves and bullet groundstrokes.

I'm looking at a Head Prestige Classic 600 (mid) to play along with my ProStaff Original...

yonex90
04-08-2006, 06:57 AM
You will probably like the Head 600. You can really get a lot of power with that stick. You will probably match the pace you are getting with the Babolat.

Michelangelo
04-08-2006, 08:37 AM
I keep one of Pro Staff Original 85 because it works as if those specific formulated concentrated hair conditioner/treatment - Just use it once a while but it refresh everything. It's not my regular racket, but whenever I'm tired of my regular one, I play it for a while, and go back to my regular one, then I'd immediately appreciate how easy my regular racket is.

bluegrasser
04-08-2006, 09:17 AM
I tell you, I played like sh$t this morning, too many Jack Cokes the night before, dead players frames and drinking the night before don't mix, I should of taken out ' old faithful ' ( O3 Red), I can hit that racquet in my sleep.