PDA

View Full Version : Change grip size when changing to leather ?

jangpyo
04-07-2006, 02:29 PM
I like the hard feel of leather on my racquet, since I have played with Dunlop Max 200G that came with leather for a long time.
I am thinking of getting a new racquet, Head LM prestige MP. But I am not sure what grip size I should get. I want to replace the grip with leather grip once I get it. I have read here that leather grip would make it a thicker grip. I normally use 4 1/2 but should I get a 4 3/8 to compensate for thickness leather puts on ?

Thanks for your inputs !!

jasonbourne
04-07-2006, 04:16 PM
Dunlop and Head have different grip shapes.
It will depend on your comfort level with the new grip shape.
Grasp the Head grip in L4 size. If it feels about right, get the L3 to compensate the difference.

LowProfile
04-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Leather is usually actually thinner than the synthetic, spongy replacement grips. However, it is firmer, and will decrease in size less than the replacement grips when squeezed and this will give it the semblance of greater thickness. It basically evens things out. Really it should make no difference to the grip size. Just make sure you know which Head grip size fits you best.

thomas martinez
04-09-2006, 07:14 AM
Yeah, the grips Head uses on that frame are not the thickest, they tend to be a bit thinner than say a Wilson Perforated or Prince Duratac. Depending on which LEather you use, it might be a bit thinner, or close to the same. The Wilson and Gammas from what I remember tend to be a bit thicker, as can the Babolat(but can be pulled nice and tight to minimize that), and the Volkl is a bit on the thin side as well.

NoBadMojo
04-09-2006, 09:18 AM
I have found leather to feel a bit thicker only because , as the other poster said, they are much harder than a cushioned grip and compress less when you squeeze them. Leather grips do have varyng thicknesses and weights however. I have found the Gamma one to be the thinnest and lightest and the Volkl to be the thickest and heaviest. The Babolats and Wilsons are in between. Saying this after having used these brands. I usually end up using the Babolat one..it's not the best quality, but i stick an overgrip on there anyway. You can also adjust the thickness a bit by how tightly you wrap the grip.

joe gomes
04-09-2006, 02:29 PM
I am currently use a Wilson Leather grip, is there one that is thinner than the Wilson..........Thanks Joe

jangpyo
04-09-2006, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the advice, I will take your suggestions under considerations when I purchase the racquet.

I have bought the Luxilon leather grip and put on a racquet and it made it thicker than with the synthetic replacement grip. On top of the leather I also put on a overgrip.
I bought Babolat team overgrip and it is thicker than others that I have used and it didn't last as long as well.

anyway, Thanks you guys.