PDA

View Full Version : six-one 16x18 or 18x20

danielno
04-07-2006, 08:34 PM
are they very different?

SFrazeur
04-07-2006, 10:54 PM
The 16x18 is jumpy compaired to the 18x20, 18x20 feels more solid.

If you break a lot of strings look more at the 18x20. Also, yes tighter;dense

string patterns are not as spin friendly, if you hit flat you would be fine wiht

the 18x20. I used the 18x20's for a year 1/2 before goping to the Ntour 90

reply away if you have more questions.

danielno
04-08-2006, 08:13 AM
but if i string the 18x20 a little looser, will the power level be about the same?

I also compared the string pattern opening in both, and they seem very similar in the sweet spot. I never tested the 18x20 though. The spin is that different?

tarkowski
04-08-2006, 08:17 AM
but if i string the 18x20 a little looser, will the power level be about the same?

Yes - you can get the two to have similar power levels by varying string guage and tension. A thinner, lower-tension string on 18x20 can get close to a thicker, higher-tension string on 16x18. Still, the 18x20 has a more consistent, lower-powerd response all the way around. This isn't to say it is low-powered... it still has great power for a player's frame. More than my Fischer 98 for sure. However, hitting in the sweetspot on the 16x18 with a full stroke can be the bomb. More like Surge and PD power than player-stick power.

SFrazeur
04-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Tarkowski is right. I would string the 18x20 2 lbs lower than the 16x18

basil J
04-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Much more control with the 18 x 20 and I get just as much spin, especially witha 17' poly in the mains. Love the 18 x 20...Very predictable frame and great serving stick as well..

Keifers
04-08-2006, 03:12 PM
I strung my 18x20 at 3 lbs lower than I would have in a 16x18 (57 vs. 60).

18x20 provides a very uniform stringbed response -- no hot or cold spots.

basil J
04-08-2006, 04:28 PM
Exactly! No hot spots. When you mishit , you know it right away. This frame should be more popular than the 16 x 18 IMO. I thought the 16 x 18 has a lot of juice for a prostaff 6.1 series frame. The 18 x 20 should satisfy a broad range of players. It is as good from the baseline as it is at the net. The best find I have come across in years. I no longer even think about demoing another frame.

mislav
04-08-2006, 05:30 PM
I demoed the 18x20 and it felt amazing. I then looked for more info on this board and found the posts by Tarkowski to be most helpful and spot on to my experience with this racquet (thanks, Tarkowski). :)

I demoed some more sticks, went back to n6.1 18x20, tried different string tensions and finally bought it and settled with my current setup. Best decision I could have made! :D

tarkowski
04-08-2006, 05:51 PM
I demoed the 18x20 and it felt amazing. I then looked for more info on this board and found the posts by Tarkowski to be most helpful and spot on to my experience with this racquet (thanks, Tarkowski). :)

I demoed some more sticks, went back to n6.1 18x20, tried different string tensions and finally bought it and settled with my current setup. Best decision I could have made! :D

Thanks much, mislav! As of late, I've had a case of demo-itis myself. Must be part of my make-up to want to try everything I can. I even ended up purchasing the Fischer mSpeed 98 - I think it's a great, comfortable racquet. But on game-day, it's the Wilson 18x20 that I have in my hand. I just don't play as well with anything else. I string mine with wilson gut, 17, @57.

Slaz
04-08-2006, 11:42 PM
Ahhhhhh the n6.1 18x20 :D

I was a demo freak too before trying this stick, but now I'm going to stay with it since it's the best stick I've ever used.

It does everything well, no flaws. The only (little) problem with it is the weight. During the first set, no problem. Second one ... still ok but you start to feel it. Third set is a different story, you really have to be fit :)

But anyway, I love the racquet and I'll stick with it.

Tof
04-09-2006, 12:44 AM
Thanks much, mislav! As of late, I've had a case of demo-itis myself. Must be part of my make-up to want to try everything I can. I even ended up purchasing the Fischer mSpeed 98 - I think it's a great, comfortable racquet. But on game-day, it's the Wilson 18x20 that I have in my hand. I just don't play as well with anything else. I string mine with wilson gut, 17, @57.

HiTark,

as I rote in the my thread, I just purchased the m speed fischer from TW.

Until I receive it, I keep on playing the n6.1 18*20. The shoulder looks to adapt to it progressively but mainly, I start appreciating it more and more...

Good balance beteen control, power and spin is surprinsingly there for a 18*20, mainly on the kick serves. It is also a great volley stick, so stable.

I'm telling myself that, strung 1 lbs less than no (gosen kournikova 16L 54 lbs) and with a 17L gut Klip legend, there should be additional confort, spin and poer and it would probably be heaven....

I've been concerned hen I read on this post that the fischer as so underpoered. I already read that but I hope it won't be too much, I don't want to force my shots... We'll see, but what I ant to say here is that the Wilsonb 18*20 n6.1 is just great. I tended to break strings very often ith my previous ncode ntour 95 (16*20) and no ith the n6.1, strings resist really well. That's a good nes for the budget and also for the type of strings one can use and that's hy I will test it with 17L now cause it won't break quickly.

As I read several times, I can confirm that one has to stay and be patient with the n6.1 18*20 to get the best out of it.

tarkowski
04-09-2006, 05:56 AM
HiTark,

as I rote in the my thread, I just purchased the m speed fischer from TW.

Until I receive it, I keep on playing the n6.1 18*20. The shoulder looks to adapt to it progressively but mainly, I start appreciating it more and more...

Good balance beteen control, power and spin is surprinsingly there for a 18*20, mainly on the kick serves. It is also a great volley stick, so stable.

I'm telling myself that, strung 1 lbs less than no (gosen kournikova 16L 54 lbs) and with a 17L gut Klip legend, there should be additional confort, spin and poer and it would probably be heaven....

I've been concerned hen I read on this post that the fischer as so underpoered. I already read that but I hope it won't be too much, I don't want to force my shots... We'll see, but what I ant to say here is that the Wilsonb 18*20 n6.1 is just great. I tended to break strings very often ith my previous ncode ntour 95 (16*20) and no ith the n6.1, strings resist really well. That's a good nes for the budget and also for the type of strings one can use and that's hy I will test it with 17L now cause it won't break quickly.

As I read several times, I can confirm that one has to stay and be patient with the n6.1 18*20 to get the best out of it.

Hi Tof,

I wouldn't be too concerned about the power from the Fischer. The frame is lower-powered than the nCodes, but you can get good pop from the larger stringbed. Due to increased head-size, the bed has more of a pocketing and launch effect. I strung mine with Babolat VS 16 @57 and after a few sessions, it's got that great sound on contact and quite a bit of zip. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, given the threads you've been reading. It's the only stick I've demoed outside of my preferred nSixOne 18x20 that was strong enough to move me to purchase it.

My only issue with the nCode 18x20 is probably similar to others... it feels a bit heavy in that third set. I play the best with it, but my fitness can be challenged. Demo-itis had me looking for alternatives that I could be more fresh with throughout the match. The Fischer is a bit easier that way. But it's no excuse for improved fitness. :)

The Fischer is a more comfortable, arm-friendly racquet as well - especially from the baseline. It has a flexible shaft that works great when exchanging topspin groundstrokes. Since a lot of players stay mainly at the baseline, I think the Fischer might actually be a better solution for them than the nCode. I'm an all-courter and come to net quite a bit and am just more effective with the nCode here. I serve better with it too. Don't get me wrong, the Fischer is very strong as well - just not as strong as the Wilson at net.

Demos are tough due to string set up. I needed to live with the Fischer for a while with my preferred string and see what it would bring. I won't be parting with it anytime soon.

Please let us know how it's going! It would be great to read more opinions on this!

Thanks tof

rooski
04-09-2006, 06:28 AM
To keep this thread from being too one sided...I personally think the 16x18 is better for an all court player. For baseline and for flat ball hitters, the 18x20 is probably better but that's about it.

Sure the 16x18 is more lively than the 18x20 but that's easily tamed with higher string tensions. I would rate the 16x18 as superior in serving, volleys, touch shots, and of course overall spin potential. Slice backhands are soooo much better with the 16x18 IMO. Lastly, I also would also put the 16x18 ahead of the 18x20 in the "arm friendliness" category as well. If I was a baseline flat baller and I wanted an 18x20 string pattern stick, it would be one of the more flexible models out there like the RDX500 DP or Prestige line of frames.

slice it
04-09-2006, 06:29 AM
Ahhhhhh the n6.1 18x20 :D

I was a demo freak too before trying this stick, but now I'm going to stay with it since it's the best stick I've ever used.

It does everything well, no flaws. The only (little) problem with it is the weight. During the first set, no problem. Second one ... still ok but you start to feel it. Third set is a different story, you really have to be fit :)

But anyway, I love the racquet and I'll stick with it.
i had the same weight prob. and i agree that it is the best stick ever ;)

danielno
04-09-2006, 04:48 PM
To keep this thread from being too one sided...I personally think the 16x18 is better for an all court player. For baseline and for flat ball hitters, the 18x20 is probably better but that's about it.

Sure the 16x18 is more lively than the 18x20 but that's easily tamed with higher string tensions. I would rate the 16x18 as superior in serving, volleys, touch shots, and of course overall spin potential. Slice backhands are soooo much better with the 16x18 IMO. Lastly, I also would also put the 16x18 ahead of the 18x20 in the "arm friendliness" category as well. If I was a baseline flat baller and I wanted an 18x20 string pattern stick, it would be one of the more flexible models out there like the RDX500 DP or Prestige line of frames.

Thanks man!
At least one opinion comparing both frames, without being too one-sided!

doriancito
04-09-2006, 05:16 PM
ive been using the 18 20 for about 4 months now, its a very solid racquet at serve, if you have a very flat serve it will fit you, then for your forehand you need to have a complete swing to give it the perfect spin and power, which im working on now, the backhand i usually dnt give it much spin i just hit it flat, i get underniet the ball and hit it flat over the net, then for volleys its a bit dificult to control sionce you cannot slice the ball with "the touch" you would have to make a short volley movement, shorter than usuall, and faster so i goes at a good speen and deepness