PDA

View Full Version : How Much Patience w/New Stick

kenshireen
04-08-2006, 06:54 AM
I have played with an OS for over 30 years. I am now trying to come down to a MP 98-100 or so. When I demo such a racket I find that I do not play as well as with my old trusty stick...
I would appreciate any opinions from those who have switched as to the following questions

1-How long did it take before you became more effective with your "NEW" racket? (hours of play..time...etc)

2-Did you ever have the inclination to not change because you began to play weaker when you made the original change?

3-Did any of you play better from the getgo with the change in racket?

Thanks, Ken

cabernetjunkie
04-08-2006, 07:08 AM
First of all, why do you want to change? What are you looking for that you cant get out of you current stick?

tpduke112
04-08-2006, 07:23 AM
If it doesnt feel better, there is no reason for a change. Keep your OS.

milo
04-08-2006, 07:27 AM
that's right. the reason i change from my babolat pd to rd ti 80 because lack of control. then i change again to rdx mid because somewhat i feel the ti 80 is still powerfull to me.

YK
04-08-2006, 07:35 AM
1 - Usually the new racquet is not very far away from old properties-wise. It's a matter of confidence in your shots. So overall effectiveness doesn't change that much for me; it changes some, but not a lot.

2 - Yes, it happened to me. Often people (myself included) make changes after perceiving one particular advantage in a new racquet. Few matches later other aspects surface, and you start thinking if the old racquet was a happier medium.

3. Yes, that happened too, and due to variety of reasons. I played better with a new one because a) I was excited about it [you can't underestimate this as a factor] b) I had a good week c) my opponent didn't keep the balls away from my strong side d) the new racquet fit me better. Reasons a, b, c are obviously transient, so I did sell my Pure Drive, my Radical OS, my C9 and my Pro # 1.
Hope this helps.

Grimjack
04-08-2006, 07:47 AM
Change sticks as often as possible; it's your duty as a good consumer.

If people are playing longer with old racquets, demand goes down. If demand goes down, supply goes down. If supply goes down, it means our beloved cheap, overseas industrial labor concerns aren't pumping adequate carcinogens into the air, nor pumping adequate quantities of poisonous effluvium into the rivers. If supply goes down, it means there are entire villages full of brown people who aren't being adequately exploited. It means ecosystems are surviving, species are refraining from going extinct, and rich, white merchants of death and ecocide aren't squeezing every dollar they possibly could from you, nor every drop of blood conceivable from their resource base.

Shame on you for asking such a question. Even if you like your racquets, you ought to put them to the bonfire regularly and order more. Petroleum and petroleum by-product based industries (of which tennis racquet manufacture is -- have no doubts -- one) need you, or CEO's won't find themselves pampered sufficiently for their acquired tastes.

STOP THINKING ABOUT YOURSELF. THERE ARE BIGGER THINGS AT STAKE HERE! CONSUME!!!

cabernetjunkie
04-08-2006, 08:32 AM
Well, Im not telling anyone not to change sticks, lord knows I've did it plenty. Just curious the reasons behind it. Everyone is diff., some people take longer to adjust to a new racquet. Some people can do it in a matter of a set or two.

prince
04-08-2006, 02:34 PM
after switching to a new racquet - i think you have to be patient to get the set up right at least as to the strings and tension u use .

after you have tried the different tension and you still cant play well - then its time to move on...

donnyz89
04-08-2006, 02:39 PM
why switch? if you dont play well with other frames, then stick with the old one... or just upgrade to a newer version. unless its traumatizing to your health.

Richard Pur
04-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Change sticks as often as possible; it's your duty as a good consumer.

If people are playing longer with old racquets, demand goes down. If demand goes down, supply goes down. If supply goes down, it means our beloved cheap, overseas industrial labor concerns aren't pumping adequate carcinogens into the air, nor pumping adequate quantities of poisonous effluvium into the rivers. If supply goes down, it means there are entire villages full of brown people who aren't being adequately exploited. It means ecosystems are surviving, species are refraining from going extinct, and rich, white merchants of death and ecocide aren't squeezing every dollar they possibly could from you, nor every drop of blood conceivable from their resource base.

Shame on you for asking such a question. Even if you like your racquets, you ought to put them to the bonfire regularly and order more. Petroleum and petroleum by-product based industries (of which tennis racquet manufacture is -- have no doubts -- one) need you, or CEO's won't find themselves pampered sufficiently for their acquired tastes.

STOP THINKING ABOUT YOURSELF. THERE ARE BIGGER THINGS AT STAKE HERE! CONSUME!!!

Grimjack,

Gotta love that Chicagoland attitude and sarcasm! Yesterday I got a warm a fuzzy feeling when I walked past 2 parked cars in a Walmart parking lot with the engine running, with people in it just waiting. And you wonder why we're going down the toilet.

From the Burbs,

Rich

cabernetjunkie
04-10-2006, 08:56 AM
kenshireen- did any of the posts help or did we just make it more confusing?