PDA

View Full Version : easiest way to hit kick serves

corncob3466
03-01-2004, 06:32 PM
what is the easiest way to hit a kick serve? how do you hold the racquet? how do you guys do it?

Thunnus
03-01-2004, 06:56 PM
If you are refering to topspin serve, it is pretty easy. However, if you are refering to the American Twist serve, there is no shortcut. You have to do everything right to produce a good kick and it will take some time to be solid. Continental grip may help you to hit it.

corncob3466
03-01-2004, 07:01 PM
i was referring to topsipn. and what the hell is an "American Twist Serve"? damn, i feel stupid asking that.

C_Urala
03-01-2004, 08:13 PM
Corncob, try this http://www.tennis4u.com/lesson-lounge/**********/serve/serving-tips.htm

Bungalo Bill
03-02-2004, 12:00 AM
The twist serve was popularized when the American Davis cup team needed and answer to the Australian Davis Cup team and several decades ago. The link that Urala provided is excellent.

The Twist is the same as the Kick on the link. It curves in the air one way and when it hits the ground it bounces the other way. It comes over the net sort of like a topspin with some slice (curving) then it kick the other direction.

The one thing about the kick serve, is if you do decide to learn it, practice it slowly. It is a serve that has the potential to mess your lower back up. So you need to do it slowly a be patient. Your muscles need to adapt and strengthen to support the stress placed on the body.

jayserinos99
03-02-2004, 12:06 AM
I second Bill's comments. I tried to imitate Edberg's motion and that really messed up my back for a while. As far as how I hit it, I use an Eastern backhand grip although I can hit it with the Continental grip as well.

andreh
03-02-2004, 01:15 PM
There is no easy way to hit a kick serve (or twist). Edberg was the master, particularly earlier in his career before his back caused him problems.

The serve curves to the receivers right in mid-air and to the left after the bounce. I also has a high bounce which takes the ball out of the receiver's comfort zone.

Here's the quick giude.

1) Use a backhand grip (eastern backhand)
2) Ball is tossed to the left of your head.
3) Arch your back and bend your knees
4) hit 7 to 1
5) the ball should be almost behind your head at contact point for maximum spin.

It doesn't even sound easy, does it? Now try doing it.

Note that Edberg had an extreme knee bend and arch of the back. You don't have to be that extreme to get a decent kick. (Watch a slow-motion sequence of Edberg serving and you'll see. He could almost compete with an acrobat with that motion. )

corncob3466
03-02-2004, 06:25 PM
thanks andre, i will definently try it no matter how hard it is. i got all the time in the world to learn how to do it. and by that i mean until next season at school. urala, thats a cool link, thanks.

matchpoints
03-02-2004, 09:05 PM
funny, i started playing with the twist and i can't learn the slice worth of crap. and that site says that slice is easy? :shock:

andreh
03-03-2004, 03:40 AM
Here's another link for learning the twist

http://tennis.about.com/library/weekly/aa050802.htm

Also there's a book called "Tennis Course vol.1" by the German Tennis Association with a good instruction (+loads of other instructions). A good book for those who wants step-by-step instruction to various strokes.

lonechicken
03-04-2004, 10:11 AM
funny, i started playing with the twist and i can't learn the slice worth of crap. and that site says that slice is easy? :shock:

Not that strange. For most of my competitive life (highschool, college intramurals/club) I could only slice and was jealous of the kickers. Once I was out of school, I started to finally "get it" with the kick serves, but then something weird happened. I couldn't hit a good slice serve in to save my life :shock:!

It finally started coming back when I resigned to simplify my second serves down to one grip, one motion, and two tosses.

vinouspleasure
03-06-2004, 04:09 PM
good tips, here's one more: I was taught to hit the twist with an extreme backhand grip. Works for me.

I too had aching muscles the first year I hit it. No problems now. Pretty good serve to the ad court to a righty and then serve and volley.