PDA

View Full Version : Make your own stencils??

deehacker2005
04-08-2006, 09:33 AM
Does anyone here make their own stencils? It seems like a pretty easy thing to do, just print out a design and print it out. Is there a web site that has designs?

diredesire
04-08-2006, 10:52 AM
Does anyone here make their own stencils? It seems like a pretty easy thing to do, just print out a design and print it out. Is there a web site that has designs?

There used to be... which stencil are you looking for? Maybe i can dig one up for you..

Saito
04-08-2006, 11:10 AM
I made my own using cardboard... hand drew the design in, and it came out pretty well... I'm at work right now so I'll post it up when I get home. :-D

Semaj
04-08-2006, 01:21 PM
If you just dont want to pay the $$$ for plastic 1's - here's what I did. Email every racket company you use- say you string their rackets and was wondering if you knew of any way I could get the logo back ont he strings- I got responses from loads- most sent them free!!!!!

Saito
04-08-2006, 01:27 PM
:lol: LOL I thought you guys were talking about custom ones..... at least, that was I was talking about anyway... yeah, do what he said... or ask go to your local pro shop and take one :-P.

Midlife crisis
04-08-2006, 01:41 PM

I made several for my daughter. I had her create the image using a paintshop program, then I printed it out full page sized, then cut it out and used spray paint. It works pretty well!

mralexchang
04-08-2006, 03:04 PM
I made a billabong stencil fairly easy. Just find the logo you want and print it out the size you want. I used a priority mail package so that way I would have a stencil for each side so i could just tape both sides and not worry about the ink drying before I stenciled the other side.

Just cut it out with an exacto knife and POW your very own customized stencil. You might want to take into account what types of string you use because before i was using synth gut and top spin and I recently switched to big banger and it doesn't stay on, prob after a 1 hour hitting session its all gone.

Also the ink will sometimes rub off onto your balls.

But all in all it is cool to have a unique stencil! Give it a try

deehacker2005
04-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I just needed stencils for Prince, Volkl, Head and Yonex. I'm just too cheap to buy them. :D That's a pretty good idea to email the manufacturers, Semaj. I'm gonna give it a try and see how it works. I never thought of making custom stencils, but I guess if they're not too detailed they would turn out pretty good.

Court_Jester
04-08-2006, 05:35 PM
I also thought that you were talking about custom designs for stencils. Don't bother emailing the manufacturers. Just type the word "stencil" on the search line on the TW homepage and you'll find the stencils for the brands you're looking for. Save the images, print them on transparency sheets (my preferred medium, not cardboard or paper), cut out the unwanted areas with a sharp knife or box cutter and you're good to go.

tennisnj
04-08-2006, 07:24 PM
I can vouch for what Semaj did to get his stencils. Often if you politely email string manufacturers, not only will they give you free stencils, but often string, tee-shirts & other accessories. A few years ago I emailed quite a few, including many internationally & practically all responded w/either a confirmation asking for my address, or a polite sorry we don't have any handouts.

jamauss
04-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Is there any special paint/ink used for the stencil? Just spraypaint?

madevil_zero
04-08-2006, 11:18 PM
permanent marker / sharpy

VolleyandServer
04-09-2006, 03:12 AM
Is there any special paint/ink used for the stencil? Just spraypaint?

There is actually stencil ink available from most full service tennis shops. TW carries black and red ink for a few bucks. They are out of stock alot of times but if you keep checking, they always get shipments in.

deehacker2005
04-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Did what Court Jester suggested, downloaded images and printed them on tranparency sheets, worked like a charm and saved some serious $$!! Thanks Jester, that was a great tip!! By the way, Volkl lets you download their stencil direct from the web site.:D

diredesire
04-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Did what Court Jester suggested, downloaded images and printed them on tranparency sheets, worked like a charm and saved some serious $$!! Thanks Jester, that was a great tip!! By the way, Volkl lets you download their stencil direct from the web site.:D

I have pdfs of
cayman
fischer
volkl
gosen
(obviously not the most popular of brands)

I think i have dunlop around here somewhere too... shoot me an e-mail or leave a post if anyone wants these...

Tchocky
04-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Anyone who custom designs their own stencils has way too much time on their hands. Just my opinion.

Court_Jester
04-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Did what Court Jester suggested, downloaded images and printed them on tranparency sheets, worked like a charm and saved some serious $$!! Thanks Jester, that was a great tip!!
No problem, dude. Glad it worked out for you. :mrgreen:

By the way, Volkl lets you download their stencil direct from the web site.:D
Yeah. That's actually how I got the idea to improvise using transparency sheet. Their pattern is so sharp and well-defined that making your own stencil is so easy. My Head stencil is not quite as good, though.

nautika721
07-09-2006, 07:39 AM
Anyone who custom designs their own stencils has way too much time on their hands. Just my opinion.

are you serious? so do people who paint or draw as a hobby have way too much time on their hands, as well? because designing a stencil and painting/drawing it onto your strings is just as much a form of art as anything else. i've seen some pretty cool designs on these forums and elsewhere and it's definitely creative. maybe think outside of the box.

thirdandlong15
07-09-2006, 01:20 PM
Anyone have a pdf for a Luxilon Stencil???

Mr.Federer
07-09-2006, 03:02 PM
here's a link for a wilson logo stencil
: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=908299&postcount=18

Marat Safinator
07-09-2006, 03:04 PM
takes me 30 secodns to draw some random crap on it

Marat Safinator
07-09-2006, 03:06 PM
There is actually stencil ink available from most full service tennis shops. TW carries black and red ink for a few bucks. They are out of stock alot of times but if you keep checking, they always get shipments in.

Yes ive got the black stuff, got any idea how long to leave it to dry, i leav it for an hour or so and it seems alright but it coemso ff way to easily, maybe i have to leave it a full day or something?

diredesire
07-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Yes ive got the black stuff, got any idea how long to leave it to dry, i leav it for an hour or so and it seems alright but it coemso ff way to easily, maybe i have to leave it a full day or something?

That's the nature of ink. It just comes off on th ball :(

jak914
07-09-2006, 05:43 PM
sharpie stays on the string longer. just more of a pain to put on

thirdandlong15
07-09-2006, 09:09 PM
My head stencil ink stays on everything pretty well except polys. Anyone know if a sharpie will work better on poly? I have a jumbo one so it won't be to hard to put it on. Oh and no one knows where to get a lux stencil pdf?