PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Wh0re Settling Down

texcoug
04-08-2006, 11:46 AM
Just wanted to let everyone here know that I am giving up my loose lifestyle. After trying and buying racquet upon racquet, I made a decision -- no, I didn't stay with the low-powered OS (iRadical OS and tried the 03 Tour OS and POG), nor am I sticking in the 102-105" range (03 Red stuck with me the longest -- over the FXP Radical Team), nor am I venturing below 100" (Bab PCZ was my preference). Rather, I am sticking it out with a 100" that has everything I want (except for a little bigger head): the RDS 003. It has:

1. .25 extra length with it in grip (great for my 2hbh) and reaches
2. around 11 0z (I really liked the 03 red at 10.5 for net play, but I can live with this)
3. Headlight (again -- like 03 Red -- crucial for quick net exchanges in doubles)
4. Thinner beam and lowish powered (not totally low -- I recognize I am no that good but not as much punch as the Red or even the 03 White or PD (I tried both))
5. 16x19 pattern -- good for spin but I particularly like the crisp feel and ability to hit biting slices -- also, something about its hexagonal shape makes me flattens the ball a little more than, say, I did with the Radical Team (a topspin monster) -- actually better for hard courts on which I play exclusively
6. 65 stiffness -- I liked the cupping feel of the Radical Team (59) and the directional control but I just prefer the crisper feel at contact (like the Red). Plus, touch volleys are not as important to me as hard punches (I play almost all doubles). Hence, manueverability and pop at the net are more valuable to me than touch.

Anyway, for the rest of you wh0res, sorry to leave you behind. But, I will still frequent our little club here and encourage the or discourage the rest of you.

Saito
04-08-2006, 11:55 AM
You'll be back.... they always come back... MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! lol j/k

Nah, I remember when I finally settled on my racquet. But man, sometimes it's nice to pick up what I call "lazy sticks"(tweener racquets) and get that extra pop with less effort. :-P

bluegrasser
04-08-2006, 02:40 PM
Sad Tex, life will be lonely at the top..

vkartikv
04-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Ms. *****, I hope you managed to spread the disease to a few people before retiring ;)

Alley Cat
04-08-2006, 07:11 PM
texcoug...good deal man. It looks as though you did a thorough demo/search and found a great stick. I have hit with the 003 and also liked it quite a bit. Your logic re: the choice is solid. Best of luck and hope to see you around the boards in other topics also!!!

raftermania
04-08-2006, 07:29 PM
I hope you use an overgrip everytime.

Soundog
04-10-2006, 01:01 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble, but racketwh0reitis it is is incurable. I've suffered from it for years and it's in remission for me at the moment, but it will never go away.

The reason for this is because there is no perfect racket. All rackets have advantages and disadvantages in different areas. The very thing that makes one racket great to use on a fast court or light balls can make it bad to use on a slow court or wet balls.

Anyway, if you're a true racket wh0re like me, you'll have 20+ rackets and use different ones depending on whether it's night/day, dry/wet, cold/hot, grass/clay/hardcourt, windy/still, etc etc.

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH indeed !