PDA

View Full Version : ball machine- spin or no spin

leftyslice
04-08-2006, 05:34 PM
I just got my 16 year old daughter a tennis tutor 4 (no spin). She really likes the machine and it looks to be really well made. The reason We got the no spin version is because of the size, she will moving this in and out of the car alot. Also, I have have seen some say on this forum that the spin feature was not really worth the additional size and the higher price. My daughter is a state ranked junior player and I am a former 4.5 -5.0 player who has'nt played in a few years and want to use this machine to get back in shape as well. Does the spin work very well on these machines? Is the spin important enough that we should we try a machine with spin for comparison? If so, the lobster elite looks like it may be easier to get in and out of the car. Would this be a better choice? Thanks

pmata814
04-08-2006, 06:43 PM
I just got my 16 year old daughter a tennis tutor 4 (no spin). She really likes the machine and it looks to be really well made. The reason We got the no spin version is because of the size, she will moving this in and out of the car alot. Also, I have have seen some say on this forum that the spin feature was not really worth the additional size and the higher price. My daughter is a state ranked junior player and I am a former 4.5 -5.0 player who has'nt played in a few years and want to use this machine to get back in shape as well. Does the spin work very well on these machines? Is the spin important enough that we should we try a machine with spin for comparison? If so, the lobster elite looks like it may be easier to get in and out of the car. Would this be a better choice? Thanks

I wouldn't say its important but it is a very neat feature to have, and if you want the machine to throw at high speeds you will need the topsin to keep the ball in the court. I also like to put backspin on the ball to simulate those floating weak shots or lobs and practice putting them away.

Court_Jester
04-08-2006, 06:48 PM
The spin feature is also nice for adding variety to your practice session or workout.

As for the Lobster Elite, the pics make them look as if they're bulkier than the the TT machine but I'm not sure about it.

TennisParent
04-09-2006, 06:55 AM
I have a Lobster Elite and have a lot of familiarity w. the TT as that is the machine used by the HS team my kid is on. TT does fit in the trunk of a car a little easier, it;s just a box w/ a built in handle goes in like a heavy suitcase. Tp put the Lobster in the trunk of my car, I have to take out the plastic ball hopper
and remove the aluminum pull handles attached by two pins w/c I worry I may lose one day. That being said, the Lobster has been an excellent and reliable machine for us, it seems to replicate spin much better than the TT and lasts much longer on a charge than the TT, although to be fair, it has been treated much better than the TT used by the team.