PDA

View Full Version : Yonex Ultimum RD TI-50

asdfijl
04-08-2006, 08:36 PM
hey guys, i was wondering how the yonex ultimum rd ti-50 hits. i know its a pretty old racquet, but its a stick that ive always wanted to hit with. i own the rdx500 and the babolat aeropro drive, and theyre both fantastic sticks. does anyone know what the retail price was on the ti-50? any info on the yonex ti-50 would be helpful! thanks!

louis netman
04-08-2006, 10:27 PM
hey guys, i was wondering how the yonex ultimum rd ti-50 hits. i know its a pretty old racquet, but its a stick that ive always wanted to hit with. i own the rdx500 and the babolat aeropro drive, and theyre both fantastic sticks. does anyone know what the retail price was on the ti-50? any info on the yonex ti-50 would be helpful! thanks!

I think it may be too headlight for it's flex...not alot on the business end of the racket...nothing a little lead can't fix,however

Soundog
04-10-2006, 12:44 AM
I demoed it for a few hours and didn't like it that much. I was using Yonex super RD Tour 90's and RD7's at the time.

Good points were :
- Great control, in particular fantastic depth control. You could tell exactly how deep the ball was going to go.
- If you hit the ball in the middle, placement and control was good.
- Crisp feel - which can be good.

Bad points :
- Flexible frame but stiff feel. The frame would start flexing upon impact up to a certain point and then stop flexing very suddenly giving you a shock through the arm. I find this is true in general of rackets with titanium in them and I think it is injury causing. High modulus graphite and even hypercarbon seem to flex smoothly by comparision even if the overall flex is less.
- The frame was too light for me and therefore not quite enough power and not quite enough all round stability on off centre shots ( which I do a lot of because I don't watch the ball ). I prefer heavy frames so I don't have to do so much work armwise.

Neutral :
- Hits flatter than the RD7. You have to work a bit harder to get the spin that the RD7 naturally puts on the ball. From memory and from what I've tried, a fairly similar feeling racket is the RDX 500 Midplus HD with 18 mainstrings.

louis netman
04-10-2006, 08:40 AM
Flexible frame but stiff feel. The frame would start flexing upon impact up to a certain point and then stop flexing very suddenly giving you a shock through the arm. I find this is true in general of rackets with titanium in them and I think it is injury causing

Very good observation and point, Soundog. I don't think this phenomenon has been discussed on these message boards. When RDC flex is measured, it doesn't take rebound time into consideration. A false sense of arm friendliness is then construed from the numbers alone in metal composite frames. Titanium is great for aircraft & motorcycle parts, but I just hate it in tennis racquets...

carTW
04-11-2006, 04:41 AM
Try the following link, it's the original tennis-warehouse review of the Ti-50

http://web.archive.org/web/20030803215724/www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/RD50/RD50Review.html