PDA

View Full Version : String break pattern indication?

bookem
06-24-2004, 06:17 PM
Don't know if this has been raised before but...

Can you tell anything, either about the hitter or your string job, when the player breaks 2 or more mains but not adjacent to one another? I've seen 2 broken mains with an intact main in between and today I just saw 2 breaks with 2 intact. Is it perhaps due to a more closed face on impact?

Just curious....

perfmode
06-24-2004, 06:27 PM
The person probably used TONS of spin on the shot. I've broken 4 mains adjacent to eachother but I've never broken 2 in different spots.

spress
06-24-2004, 06:49 PM
i break mains with unbroken one between preety often... wel about half the time i think it is because i tend to make initial contact high in the string bed when hitting topspin so depend on which so depending on which side of the racket i use those seem to wear a little quicker than the center 2 mains

TennsDog
06-24-2004, 07:00 PM
I broke a set one time with two adjacent and then one with a main between. (looked like |||**|*||| ). It was in the middle of the string bed on a rather slow serve and it was out so I didn't play it hard, pace or spin. It was only my second day playing with them (about 2 hours) so it really p!ssed me off. With that experience, I don't really know what may cause that. Perhaps I just had a bad set...

coach
06-25-2004, 09:44 AM
I've read that mains are supposed to break first but I always break the cross' first. Is that a normal thing?

David Pavlich
06-25-2004, 01:09 PM
I'll take a guess at why strings break in funny spots. It's basically the shock of a string popping and the fact that several strings, usually mains, are heavily notched. It takes very little to get the othes to pop when the shock of the one string lets go.

I've also noticed that more times than not, Head Rip Control breaks at a cross. I have no explanation, but it happens. Hybrids that use a durable main and a syn cross breaks at the cross, but that's easy to explain.

David

Koz
06-25-2004, 02:15 PM
I think I've only broken strings that were next to eachother once. That's only due to the fact that on that particular racquet, 5 strings snapped on that one shot (heh, my record! :) ). Usually my strings break in such a way that there's 1 or 2 still unbroken mains in between them.

Bryan Aldridge
06-25-2004, 03:31 PM
I had the same thing happen with head rip control, i broke a cross after 2 weeks of hitting in a 200g.

shissncg
06-26-2004, 05:50 AM
I just broke 6 mains, with 2 intact scattered among the 6. Too bad the shot went long, I would have loved to try and play with 6 strings broken in the center.