PDA

View Full Version : Thinnest Leather Grip currently using a Wilson

joe gomes
04-09-2006, 06:28 PM
I am currently using a Wilson Leather grip, which one of the following is the thinnest. Weight is not a issue..........Thanks Joe

Fairway Leather
Wilson Leather
Head Leather
Pacific leather
Volkl Leather
Gamma leather
rpny leather

byealmeens
04-10-2006, 01:15 PM
Joe, RPNY makes a "synthetic" leather grip that is by far the thinnest. In fact, it is thin enough where the grip plus an overgrip equals the original grip size. They are very nice but pricey - about 18 dollars each.

louis netman
04-10-2006, 10:22 PM
however thin, synthetic leather will not transmit the feel of leather...a good analogy would be the feel difference between synthetic gut and natural gut...

byealmeens
04-11-2006, 04:58 AM
however thin, synthetic leather will not transmit the feel of leather...a good analogy would be the feel difference between synthetic gut and natural gut...
I have to disagree. Have you tried the synthetic leather? It's not has "hard" as natural leather, but has a feel that's very similar. Also, because it's thinner, I think you actually get more feedback and "feel". I would not say the two are as different as synthetic and natural gut, which are worlds apart in my opinion.

DXS
04-13-2006, 08:56 AM
The gamma is a good bit thinner than the Wilson... I have a few fairways that are pretty thin as well.....

-ds

joe gomes
04-13-2006, 09:12 AM
I ordered two Synthetic Leather Grips to give them a try from RPNY but I will be ordering a couple of Fairway's Leather Grips later this month.

Thanks Joe

louis netman
04-13-2006, 09:19 AM
I have to disagree. Have you tried the synthetic leather? It's not has "hard" as natural leather, but has a feel that's very similar. Also, because it's thinner, I think you actually get more feedback and "feel". I would not say the two are as different as synthetic and natural gut, which are worlds apart in my opinion.

In the majority of cases, my analogy may be a bit extreme. A thin synthetic may seem similar to leather. However, when using a thin-beamed frame with gut, the distinction between leather/calfskin and synthetic rubber grips becomes more apparent... How about another analogy, kinda like the difference between lambskin and latex... ;-)

chiru
04-13-2006, 01:44 PM
where can u get fairways?

louis netman
04-13-2006, 02:04 PM
where can u get fairways?

Fairway no longer makes grips. Apparently, the heirs took the money and ran. Balmforth took over and produced some good quality leather, but sold the company to some real estate developer who plans to build condos on the property (same tennis club story)....Rumor has it that they're scrapping the tooling to export to Japan for the production of Toyotas....something to that effect. Sad, but it doesn't make alot of business sense to run the factory for a handful of players who use Fairways...

There are still some new Fairway/Balmforth leathers floating around somewhere...

joe gomes
04-13-2006, 08:38 PM
Here is were you can find Fairway Grips & Balmforth Grips etc.
http://www.tennis******.com/grips.htm
PHONE 770 495-7524
TENNIS ******
2131 PLEASANT HILL RD/ DULUTH, GA 30096 U.S.A.

Joe

joe gomes
04-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Email me at joegomes@cox.net

doriancito
04-14-2006, 07:39 AM
where can i get fariway leather?

ShcMad
04-14-2006, 08:29 AM
I am currently using a Wilson Leather grip, which one of the following is the thinnest. Weight is not a issue..........Thanks Joe

Fairway Leather
Wilson Leather
Head Leather
Pacific leather
Volkl Leather
Gamma leather
rpny leather

This week, I purchased a Babolat leather grip. I just put it on my racquet yesterday with a Babolat VS Original grip (Claiming to be the thinnest overgrip in the world). The change in grip size was very very minimal, if not, unnoticeable. However, the Babolat leather grip weighs 24grams.

Roy
05-03-2006, 12:21 AM
After stretching, the bab one is actually quite thin.

praetorian909
08-05-2006, 09:11 PM
I ordered two Synthetic Leather Grips to give them a try from RPNY but I will be ordering a couple of Fairway's Leather Grips later this month.

Thanks Joe

Hey so did you try the RPNY or Fairway grips? I'm curious to know what you thought of the thickness. Cuz right now I'm using a Tour 90 that came with a leather grip, but I'd like to decrease the grip size.

I wish I had just gotten it one size smaller but of course they've been discontinued for a while now :(