PDA

View Full Version : If you could, what questions would you ask the pros?

sseemiller
03-01-2004, 05:54 PM
If you had the opportunity to sit down with a particular pro, what question(s) would you ask him/her?

I do have a reason for asking. I'll be attending some press conferences at Indian Wells -- although certainly not all of them. And I wouldn't mind having some questions to ask that haven't been asked a zillion times. Of course, I know what I'm going to ask Rafael, if I have the chance, but with some other players, I don't have anything original to ask.

When I was in Houston, some friends gave me some great questions to ask Coria -- ones I wouldn't have thought of on my own.

So it would be fun to hear what you would ask them, if you could. And maybe, if I get the chance, I'll ask them. I often think fans come up with better questions than some journalists. :mrgreen:

Thanks.

Susan

Frodo Baggins
03-01-2004, 06:09 PM
Susan Just make sure you don't ask them whats been asked before. I'll get back to you as for my q"s. :wink:

eric draven
03-01-2004, 07:03 PM
Good question, I personally think any question that gets more at a player's personality. If I had the chance I'd ask questions about a player's emotional response as opposed to physical injuries, conditions or strategy. From what I understand there's a lot more trash-talking that goes on between points and at changeovers than the general tv-watching public ever gets to hear. But mostly we're treated to,"Boy Andre the conditions were rough out there, do you think your fabulous fitness training helps you in those situations?" I'd rather hear about the exchanges that people on the sidelines get to hear. Why don't we ever hear questions like,"So Pete, when Rusedski called your wife a f%&$#?! cow at 4-5 on the changeover how'd that affect your gameplan?" I'm not asking for dirt but... okay, yeah I'm asking for a little more dirt.

sseemiller
03-01-2004, 08:28 PM
Great responses. Yes, it's nice not to ask pros questions they have been asked before, but that's what generally happens in press conferences. I cringe when I hear them, but the players are generally very gracious about it, answering the same question for the zillionth time. *lol* I mean, every Federer inteview has a question about his cow, whom he hasn't seen since Wimbledon. Although I guess she's now pregnant, so that's inviting even more questions. Believe me, I won't ask Roger about Juliette -- as everyone else will be doing so. :lol:

But if any of you are more comfortable e-mailing me with your "ideal question" that's fine too. Again, I don't know if I'll get the opportunity to ask it, but ya never know. At Houston, I was finally able to find out why Moya plays tennis right-handed when he is left-handed. :lol:

Thanks again.

Susan

Camilio Pascual
03-02-2004, 03:29 AM
I'd ask them something like this: "When was the moment you decided you were going to completely devote yourself to becoming a professional tennis player. And why was it at that time and moment? " The other question would be: "When was the time you truly believed you be a successful professional player, able to earn a living at it?"

polakosaur
03-02-2004, 05:30 AM
great questions pascual

how about "how much does you coach affect and influence your life and your tennis playing career?"

"how do you get ready in the days and mornings before a tournament and days and mornings before matches?"

Anonymous
03-02-2004, 05:31 AM
I'd like to know what weights they lift in the gym for:

One arm bicep curls

One arm tricep extensions

Squats

Leg curls

Leg extensions

Shoulder press

Bench press

Rabbit
03-02-2004, 05:36 AM
Do they enjoy tennis or is it a job?

Petra Martinnen
03-02-2004, 05:39 AM
Big question for the non top 10 is if they ever find this like a job. Do they lose excitement and the hunger to get better once they get as far as they can. Does the out of spotlight hitting and working out become toil and drain the fun? With the gals, they see some names in draw and know they are not going to win a big match, des it ruin the event for them. Also, do the older players panic when they see the end of the career? What next if they didn't make millions? These are questions I care about. Last, do they really like fans asking for autographs and taking photos, or is it a chore?

@wright
03-02-2004, 06:19 AM
Coria: When did you start sporting the yep-nope?
Rios: Did you reach your potential?
Sampras: Would you trade a couple Wimbledons for a Roland Garros?
Agassi: Would you have done anything differently?
Pioline: How does it feel to be one of the best players to not win a big one?
Todd Martin: Why didn't you win a slam?
Kafelnikov: Are you happy you traded more slams for doubles prize money?
Moya: Are you as much of a playboy as you look?
Guga: Have you ever noticed you look like Smiegel/Golom with your head shaved?
Scud: Would you trade all the women and drinks for a slam?
Arazi: Are you planning on getting it together anytime soon, or are you satisfied with being Rios Jr.?
Brad Gilbert: How does it feel to be the biggest ******bag in pro tennis?
Roddick: Will you be able to win any more slams now that most of the top players can return your serve and beat you from the backcourt?
Corretja: How did you win the Master's Cup and not win a slam?

borisboris
03-02-2004, 08:16 AM
Those are some tough questions for Gilbert-Roddick-Phillapousssy. I think Rios would punch you in the kneecap if you asked him about full potential-he's ranked 180 th in the world!! My question would be- BECKER -do you regret going for a dbl barrell serve @ Champioship pt in the 95 Monte Carlo Masters vs. Muster - Mr. Mu won w/ a 6-0 5th set.
McEnroe-do you still want to punch Conners?
Agassi are you loosing sleep for childish behavior in your late teens & early 20's = missing GLSAM opportunities-lack of training etc?
Sampras-deep down you know your the greatest of all time right?
Tim- do you want to forgo the grass ct season?
Andy- how long do you think your rotator will last?

Frodo Baggins
03-02-2004, 08:43 AM
Very Good Question's you guy's :shock: BUT Was hoping for somthing more original- - - Somthing the players never been asked before somthing New!! 8)

sseemiller
03-02-2004, 08:55 AM
:lol: I may get kicked out of the room if I ask some of these questions. But they are very entertaining. :lol:

Susan

@wright
03-02-2004, 08:59 AM
OK Frodo, gotcha, you silly little hobbit, you.

Pete Sampras: Pete, how's the market treating you these days?

Agassi: Have you ever tried Rogaine or Propecia?
Guga: Guga, you know the AIDS patient look is "out" this season, so what were you thinking with the shaved head?
Safin: Marat, how many women have you slept with exactly?
Rios: What is your size in women's clothing?
Henman: If you were a vegetable, what would you be and why?
Flipper: What's up Mark, how come on the court I usually can't tell whether you're working hard or hardly working?
Todd Martin: How did a guy that looks like you score a wife like that?
Chang: Michael, did you get tips from David Copperfield or did you learn to dissappear like that on your own?
Thomas Johannson: So did you have a four leafed clover in your ***** or what?
Roddick: Have you ever though about changing your last name to something that doesn't contain 2 words that mean male genitalia?
Taylor Dent: Would you still be a pro tennis player without daddy's help?
Gilbert: Brad, if I meet you out back after this interview, can we please fight?
Moya: Have you ever taken a beautiful woman home from a bar only to find out she's not a woman?
Roger Federer: Do you think your girlfriend is a little controlling?
Gonzalez: Watching the way you hit, I can't help but wonder if you were abused as a child, care to share any stories with us?

jun
03-02-2004, 09:19 AM
I like Cammilo's question...Most of other questions can't be asked..

Many people that get interviewed say that they love their job and all that.

I wonder if they would still think/feel the same if they were ranked 500 and battling it out in challengers and satelites.

I also wonder how much they can lift at the gym..

Another thing that I wonder is how sensitive they are to equipments. If they ever try out other rackets to switch etc.

If they ever get sick of wearing the same shirt over and over again (esp Roddick...Wearing the SAME SHIRTS,SHORTS,HATS and SHOES from summer to november)

Another thing is if they would be willing to bring technical changes to their stroke, grips, backswing etc.

If they believe in "If it ain't broken, don't fix it", or believe in to find "something that's always better".

steve d
03-02-2004, 10:08 AM
What is your reaction when fans ask questions about tennis or life on the tour? Is it irritating or intrusive?

What sort of things do opposing players do that makes it especially enjoyable to beat them? Attitude, body language, gamesmanship?

How difficult is it to play someone that you can't stand to be around?

What things do you know about tennis that the average player never seems to comprehend.

If you were given a camera crew and unlimited access, what would you want to show the public about professional tennis?

Frodo Baggins
03-02-2004, 10:30 AM
What I would Ask is, Hope susan don't take this to the interview with her :shock: The One question everyone wants to know here :wink: Have any of you player's Check out the TW board an what do you think of the thing's posters say? Number 2:I would ask them for thier addy's email home address.... Give my fave players thier nic Names An last an not lease if you could get anything from a fan what would that be ? besides the regular autograph an stuff?? those are my questions.... From this little hobbit :wink: ...

jeebeesus
03-02-2004, 04:49 PM
@wright come collect your prize for the most inventive questions :lol:

sambapati
03-02-2004, 10:10 PM
There`s a video game that a lot of people play here in arcades called Smash Tennis 2. I would ask the real players who represented in that game if they`ve seen it, what they think of it, and if they feel their likeness and strokes were accurately represented.

I would also like to ask Steffi Graf a lot of tough questions about the whole seles stabbing but that`s a whole other can of worms...

pound cat
03-03-2004, 04:00 AM
The answer to @wright's Safin ? will likrly be answered with the same response he gave when asked how he beat Pete in USO 2000,,,"You think I know?" So don't bother asking him this question at the press conference.

joe sch
03-03-2004, 07:41 AM
I would be interested in hearing about what the players like to do in there free time ? What are thier favorite cities to visit and why ?

Craig Sheppard
03-03-2004, 08:10 AM
I'd like to know if any of the pros care at all about how the Tour is setup or managed, and if given the opportunity once their playing days were over, would they want to hold some sort of managerial position with the tours/ITF/some other organization to help organize the tours better in the future.

-Craig.

Gugafan_Redux
03-03-2004, 12:11 PM
Q: Andy, did you see Mandy's movie--the one that tanked? And a follow-up: did you like it? And finally: Did you tell her that?

Kobble
03-03-2004, 01:23 PM
Just for the hell of it.

Pete, you are the greatest player of all time. So who would you pick to play for your life on clay?

Safin- Me: So, I hear Fed has got Drago by the balls these days. Safin: Well, I don't know about that, but I have close call with Gambill in the locker.

Mark P- Has the Australian Institute of sport figured out exactly how much energy that new babe is taking out of you? Or the influence of hollywood *****s on the results of 5 setters?

Roddick- Name all the players who you would rather not face? I retract that, we simply don't have that kind of time. "UUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhh", just name one.

guernica1
03-03-2004, 02:06 PM
Ask some of the guys which guys they would pay money to watch play.

pound cat
03-03-2004, 03:11 PM
How about "What;s the dumbest question you've ever been asked in an interview/press conference?"

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
03-03-2004, 06:56 PM
God pound, that killed me. All these bout Philippoussis crack me up too. I really have no clue what questions to ask pros. I'd just ask them to go hit with me.

pound cat
03-04-2004, 05:03 AM
Marc Rosset as Swiss DC coach has the dumb question/smart answer award for the moment.

Q. We're you happy about your loss (DC) to-day?

A. Oh yes, I was thrilled.