PDA

View Full Version : Best Beginner Womens Racket

dbdynsty25
04-10-2006, 12:07 AM
Hey everyone,

My girl is looking at getting into tennis since I like to play all the time. I took her out this weekend to hit some balls and she loved it. So that makes me think I should find a racket that is more suited for her, instead of letting her use my "extra" rackets.

Anyway, she's around 5'7 125lbs and she's athletic, but fairly weak from an upper body standpoint. I'm not sure which type of racket would be good for her to learn with. We'll probably get her some lessons...but for now, it would just be messing around. Obviously she wouldn't be able to tell the difference between head heavy and head light, or any of the other technical stuff, so getting demos would be fairly worthless. So as long as I get her something that is easy to control, she'll be happy.

Any preferred rackets out there? Obviously, the least expensive option is always best...especially since she may end up hating it in a few weeks. LOL.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

snoflewis
04-10-2006, 12:21 AM
well, i would take her to the store (since you live in N. Hollywood, i would assume Racket Doctor would be your best bet) and have her pick out a few rackets that you think fit her game that she is interested in and demo them w/ her. By doing so, you can make sure she is using a racket taht she likes.

vinky
04-10-2006, 12:21 AM
I'd go w/ any tweener racquet pretty much. Whether or not it should be extended or not, is really up to her (if she likes the way it swings).

If I had to throw up one racquet to recommend, it'll probably be something different from what other ppl would think:

Liquidmetal Instinct Tour XL

I guess it could be too heavy for her, but I dunno.. give it a try if you can demo. It's just a guess really.. and ppl did use to play w/ wooden racquets before, which are much heavier than the racquets now.

dbdynsty25
04-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Thanks guys...

The problem is she doesn't even know how to swing right yet. She is REALLY a beginner...like never swung a racket before this past weekend. So she wouldn't know what "felt" best. She's just flailing right now. Until I get her a real lesson with a pro, it's going to continue to be that way I'm sure. That's why I want to get her something that she can mess around with now and then get a little more serious with when I get her some lessons.

snoflewis
04-10-2006, 12:36 AM
I'd go w/ any tweener racquet pretty much. Whether or not it should be extended or not, is really up to her (if she likes the way it swings).

If I had to throw up one racquet to recommend, it'll probably be something different from what other ppl would think:

Liquidmetal Instinct Tour XL

I guess it could be too heavy for her, but I dunno.. give it a try if you can demo. It's just a guess really.. and ppl did use to play w/ wooden racquets before, which are much heavier than the racquets now.

yeah, i agree w/ the tweener part...but not the instinct tour XL.

the game is way faster now than ever. by using a wooden racket, power was lower, so the game was slower...but if you give the girl a racket htat's almost 12 oz...she's gonna have a hard time swinging at the ball, especially when most the people she plays will probably use like 9.5 oz rackets.

you might want to give her such rackets as 03 Red, something in the wilson W-Line, or the racket that "her favorite pro uses".

snoflewis
04-10-2006, 12:38 AM
Thanks guys...

The problem is she doesn't even know how to swing right yet. She is REALLY a beginner...like never swung a racket before this past weekend. So she wouldn't know what "felt" best. She's just flailing right now. Until I get her a real lesson with a pro, it's going to continue to be that way I'm sure. That's why I want to get her something that she can mess around with now and then get a little more serious with when I get her some lessons.

im sure that if you give her a few rackets to try, there will be one that she will like among the others...it's like that with everyone, whether it's actually based on looks, performance, or price, she'll have one that she will wnat to play w/ more

dbdynsty25
04-10-2006, 12:39 AM
Haha...her favorite pro. Well, she doesn't really watch tennis either. She only really wants to play because I like to go out and play and a few of our "couple" friends play so she wants to get out there and hit with us. It's more of a "fitting in" thing than a "serious" thing. So you're definitely right. I thought about the O3 Red, but that's probably too much racket for her. An OS is probably a must...and like I said, something light since she's pretty weak. Gotta get her on the free weights I guess.

dbdynsty25
04-10-2006, 12:41 AM
im sure that if you give her a few rackets to try, there will be one that she will like among the others...it's like that with everyone, whether it's actually based on looks, performance, or price, she'll have one that she will wnat to play w/ more

That's probably the best bet. I was more or less trying to get a feel for what others have tried to pawn off on their significant others. That way I'd know where to start when we look to purchase. That way if she wants to demo them (and not just go with the pink one)...then she can get a feel for what she likes.

Final_Match_Point
04-10-2006, 03:08 AM
If shes not going to play seriously (Therefore head heavy racquets wont harm her as much) Try out the wilson hammer or prince TT bandit or scream. They should provide her with ample power, and still be light

tennisnj
04-10-2006, 06:12 AM
I concur w/the previous poster. Stick w/the Scream or Bandit. They're great platform racquets you can build from.

SteveI
04-10-2006, 06:53 AM
I concur w/the previous poster. Stick w/the Scream or Bandit. They're great platform racquets you can build from.

Prince ThunderClould O/S

tpduke112
04-10-2006, 09:02 AM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=TIS6

dbdynsty25
04-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Thanks everyone. I've not got a few rackets to start with. Hopefully she finds one she likes. I have a feeling it's going to be like pulling teeth though. lol

Freedom
04-10-2006, 12:13 PM
Wilson Hyper Hammer 6.2 OS.

arnz
04-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Prince ThunderClould O/S

I second this motion...

snoflewis
04-10-2006, 01:00 PM
Thanks everyone. I've not got a few rackets to start with. Hopefully she finds one she likes. I have a feeling it's going to be like pulling teeth though. lol

actually if you want something cheap, you can get some rackets at "that store in LA" for $20-$30. they're mainly older Prince OS rackets...but hey..for $30 bucks a racket, you cant go wrong, especially since they are the older Triple Threat rackets.

dbdynsty25
04-10-2006, 01:11 PM
actually if you want something cheap, you can get some rackets at "that store in LA" for $20-$30. they're mainly older Prince OS rackets...but hey..for $30 bucks a racket, you cant go wrong, especially since they are the older Triple Threat rackets.

Yeah...I'll probably head over there this weekend and pick up a couple. 30 bucks a racket is probably worth it.

slewisoh
04-10-2006, 03:08 PM
I wouldn't go anywhere near the head heavy Wilson Hyper Hammers. I started out with the 6.3 and ended up having lots of shoulder and wrist problems. Check the boards here and you will see tons of posts by people who have suffered similar fates.

Certainly an OS frame will be helpful, but for the health of her arm, try to avoid superlight head heavy racquets. My 10 year old pipsqueak of a child can swing a ten ounce racquet. No reason why an adult can't handle a bit more weight as long as the swing weight is low.

thinkhard
04-10-2006, 03:16 PM
Thanks guys...

You really should have her try a few as demos, even if it is only to see if it's too heavy for her to swing. Don't hesitate to go and pick up the $40 racquet at your local Wal-Mart (a more expensive racquet won't improve her game if she really is a first-timer and those racquets are designed to help kids learn how to play the game at its most basic level).

sureshs
04-10-2006, 05:47 PM
What about the W line designed specially for women :-)

Jess
04-10-2006, 06:10 PM
I'd stay away from the head heavy beginners rackets like the hammers. If she does end up liking the game and desires to stick with it in the long rong, the potential problems the hammers pose is more risk than worth. I agree with the earlier posters who said that a tweener' would be the best bet. She's a fairly tall girl and at an average weight from what you described, so she should be able to handle the intermediate rackets, and an oversize might be a good idea as well.

Without breaking the bank (It's about $130), a really good racket to have her try is the Wilson nCode nPro Surge. It has a 100 in. head and is a bit head light. TW says it's 11 ounces strung but I own one, and it feels and plays more like a 10.5 at the heaviest. It's a solid frame to invest in, even as a beginner and if she takes to the game, she'll be able to stick with it for a long while as this racket leaves room for game developement.

tpduke112
04-10-2006, 09:15 PM
I'd stay away from the head heavy beginners rackets like the hammers. If she does end up liking the game and desires to stick with it in the long rong, the potential problems the hammers pose is more risk than worth. I agree with the earlier posters who said that a tweener' would be the best bet. She's a fairly tall girl and at an average weight from what you described, so she should be able to handle the intermediate rackets, and an oversize might be a good idea as well.

Without breaking the bank (It's about $130), a really good racket to have her try is the Wilson nCode nPro Surge. It has a 100 in. head and is a bit head light. TW says it's 11 ounces strung but I own one, and it feels and plays more like a 10.5 at the heaviest. It's a solid frame to invest in, even as a beginner and if she takes to the game, she'll be able to stick with it for a long while as this racket leaves room for game developement.
The Surge isnt a good beginners racquet... He said she just started playing like a week ago. She needs something hugely oversized and head heavy.

dbdynsty25
04-10-2006, 11:42 PM
Yeah...I'm lucky if I can get her to hit it solidly on the strings right now with my extra rackets. It's going to take a long time. Oversize is definitely where I'm leaning, that's for sure. Hopefully the coordination will come with some more sessions on the court.