PDA

View Full Version : Demoed 4 – No clear winner

marcl65
04-10-2006, 09:04 AM
I think I just need a racquet I can grow into.

First off, I want to say how impressed I was with the TW demo program. Unlike the stores I’ve visited that just carry two or three brands and only the newest models, if it hasn’t been discontinued, TW appears to have it. I have to say that I was a bit surprised to find the 4 racquets rattling around inside a beat up, obviously used, cardboard box. Not individually wrapped or in a compartmental container – just a narrow box. Not what I expected for $500 worth of racquets.

Anyway, the racquets I got were the:
- Head Intelligence i radical
- Prince NXG Graphite OS
- Babolat Aeropro Drive +
- Prince Turbo Shark Longboard MP

I picked these after reading a ton of reviews and Marius’ Arm-Friendly specs (the Prince NXG is the only one to fully comply). Also, I need a racquet with a head size > 100 sq inches, my game just isn’t mature enough to play with those badminton-sized ones. My testing has been two 3 set doubles matches and a practice session where I’d use each racquet to serve a basket of balls into an empty court followed by hitting forehand/backhand from the baseline.

Having played with the Wilson Hammer (8.9 ounces), I noticed immediately that my arm and wrist weren’t as sore after using any of demos – just tired. Also, there was a lot of power with the Babolat – I had to really work not to hit it out. Other than that, there weren’t any standouts. They were all okay.

I wonder if, at this stage of my game, pretty much any “player” racquet in the mp/os range would work for me and I should just concentrate on “arm friendliness” and allow myself to grow into the racquet. I’ve been playing for 4 months after a 20 year absence from the game. I need another racquet but I don’t want to get stuck in analysis paralysis or in an endless cycle of demoing racquet after racquet.

Anybody else out there been in my situation and want to comment?

cabernetjunkie
04-10-2006, 09:18 AM
Find one you are comfortable with. after that work on gettintg the right string set up. For me thats the hardest part of it is the right strings.

panic
04-10-2006, 09:50 AM
From those, I would definitely choose the i radical. Its got amazing control and some nice power if strung lower. APD+ is not a arm friendly racquet in any way.

marcl65
04-11-2006, 08:48 AM
From those, I would definitely choose the i radical. Its got amazing control and some nice power if strung lower. APD+ is not a arm friendly racquet in any way.
Last night I focused on the Head racquet. I practiced serving a full basket of balls and, for some reason, I had a really tough time with it. Of the 4 that I demoed, it is the only one that is 27” and is, coincidentally, the one I seem to have the hardest time serving with. Does .5” really make that much of a difference?

panic
04-11-2006, 01:05 PM
It is quite low powered and you need good strokes. If it doesn't feel good don't buy it. Keep trying until you find something you like and play good with.

tennis4losers
04-11-2006, 09:38 PM
I think I just need a racquet I can grow into.

First off, I want to say how impressed I was with the TW demo program. Unlike the stores I’ve visited that just carry two or three brands and only the newest models, if it hasn’t been discontinued, TW appears to have it. I have to say that I was a bit surprised to find the 4 racquets rattling around inside a beat up, obviously used, cardboard box. Not individually wrapped or in a compartmental container – just a narrow box. Not what I expected for $500 worth of racquets.

Anyway, the racquets I got were the:
- Head Intelligence i radical
- Prince NXG Graphite OS
- Babolat Aeropro Drive +
- Prince Turbo Shark Longboard MP

I picked these after reading a ton of reviews and Marius’ Arm-Friendly specs (the Prince NXG is the only one to fully comply). Also, I need a racquet with a head size > 100 sq inches, my game just isn’t mature enough to play with those badminton-sized ones. My testing has been two 3 set doubles matches and a practice session where I’d use each racquet to serve a basket of balls into an empty court followed by hitting forehand/backhand from the baseline.

Having played with the Wilson Hammer (8.9 ounces), I noticed immediately that my arm and wrist weren’t as sore after using any of demos – just tired. Also, there was a lot of power with the Babolat – I had to really work not to hit it out. Other than that, there weren’t any standouts. They were all okay.

I wonder if, at this stage of my game, pretty much any “player” racquet in the mp/os range would work for me and I should just concentrate on “arm friendliness” and allow myself to grow into the racquet. I’ve been playing for 4 months after a 20 year absence from the game. I need another racquet but I don’t want to get stuck in analysis paralysis or in an endless cycle of demoing racquet after racquet.

Anybody else out there been in my situation and want to comment?

You should know that Marcus hasnt even played with all the rackets he recommends...

pro_staff
04-12-2006, 04:14 PM
you have a long way to go. i demoed rackets for 5 months before i picked the racket i liked best. don't lose hope yet!

nViATi
04-12-2006, 05:40 PM
You should know that Marcus hasnt even played with all the rackets he recommends...
And? He isn't saying that they are the best for anybody he is merely showing which are arm friendly. u

str33t
04-12-2006, 05:47 PM
try using soft strings ?