PDA

View Full Version : Selling Demo Rackets??

TENNIS_IS_FUN
04-10-2006, 09:48 AM
The pro shop next to where i live sells demo rackets for ATLEAST 30% cheaper. For example, my friend bought Federer's racket for 85 dollars strung...the only thing the person working there said was "the demo logo" which was painted on the racket. Is this legal?? selling demo rackets??

snoflewis
04-10-2006, 10:04 AM
The pro shop next to where i live sells demo rackets for ATLEAST 30% cheaper. For example, my friend bought Federer's racket for 85 dollars strung...the only thing the person working there said was "the demo logo" which was painted on the racket. Is this legal?? selling demo rackets?? Also, this place is run by vietnamese people only...and for all the asians out there, if a store is run by an asian person, and you are of the same ethnicity, you can probably haggle with them, getting rackets for cheap cheap cheap. I got my yonex rdx 500 mid BRAND NEW, no demo, strung with wilson stamina all for 115....

uhh...ok? pro shops tend to sell for cheaper than online stores only because they aren't required to have MAP pricing. also, it is legal to sell demo rackets, but they don't come w/ warranty and may have some cosmetic blemishes.

diredesire
04-10-2006, 11:06 AM
The pro shop next to where i live sells demo rackets for ATLEAST 30% cheaper. For example, my friend bought Federer's racket for 85 dollars strung...the only thing the person working there said was "the demo logo" which was painted on the racket. Is this legal?? selling demo rackets?? Also, this place is run by vietnamese people only...and for all the asians out there, if a store is run by an asian person, and you are of the same ethnicity, you can probably haggle with them, getting rackets for cheap cheap cheap. I got my yonex rdx 500 mid BRAND NEW, no demo, strung with wilson stamina all for 115....

I would imagine it is legal to sell the demo frames... TW does it ;)

As far as the haggling comment, i dont' see why that was necessary.. you make asian people sound ultra stingy... :P

Freedom
04-10-2006, 11:12 AM
The pro shop next to where i live sells demo rackets for ATLEAST 30% cheaper. For example, my friend bought Federer's racket for 85 dollars strung...the only thing the person working there said was "the demo logo" which was painted on the racket. Is this legal?? selling demo rackets??

You're good until here, and then...

Also, this place is run by vietnamese people only...and for all the asians out there, if a store is run by an asian person, and you are of the same ethnicity, you can probably haggle with them, getting rackets for cheap cheap cheap.

What is the reasoning behind this part of the post?

BTW, selling demos is legal.

highsierra
04-10-2006, 11:15 AM
It's definitely legal. Every shop/club where there're demo rackets, there're them for sale.

Haggling might be just part of the business culture in Asia. Nothing's wrong with that. Why would you pay the sticker price if you can get it lower? The only reason it's not common in the US is because most store are big corporations and they don't haggle with you. Going back 40/50 years, it's not that different. Besides, we haggle to death when it comes to purchasing cars, houses, don't we.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
04-10-2006, 11:37 AM
no no no...sorry for the last section of the comment. Im asian myself and was not trying to make asian people sound super stingy, just expressing how being asian helped me get a racket for cheap. sorry, i deleted the last part of the post

dbdynsty25
04-10-2006, 11:41 AM
You can haggle on everything. I got my HDTV for 400 below asking price and got a 2 year extended warranty thrown in for kicks. You just have to do your research before going in and trying to haggle.