PDA

View Full Version : Caution when stringing Laserfibre Supernatural gut 16g

Eug
06-24-2004, 08:33 PM
Sup guys. I finally decided to string up the Supernatural gut 16g. I saved this pack, waiting for the right moment to open it. :)
The packaging is special. You have to get through two seals to get to the strings. Anyway, I decided to string it 1 piece and I installed the first 2 mains and was ready to pull. I pulled tension and ......SNAP!. OMG! Nope, the string did not break...ahahhahhaah. Almost had a heart attack. The string slipped out of my clamps. I couldn't believe it. I only string 17g strings and the clamps are set pretty tight. So I tried the other clamp and I saw the string slipping. So I got out my hex keys and tightened up the clamps. Still slipped. I tightened some more! Finally it held. The clamps are super tight now.
This string wasn't a pleasure to string. The strings are "rubbery" and are a pain to pull through grommets. They make funny noises. Installing the crosses was a pain also. A lot of noise and residue from the string comes off.. The clamps don't even leave bite marks??!! So be very careful when stringing Supernatural gut. Make sure your machine is clean and clamps are setup right. I took my sweet time stringing it. Took me about 50 min to finish. I average around 40 min. Cant wait to play with them. Have fun guys.

Eug

Jerry Seinfeld
06-25-2004, 04:39 AM
Different experience here. LF SN Gut is a pure joy to string. Like all strings the clamps need to be properly cleaned and adjusted, but I have never had a slippage problem with this string. Properly adjusted clean clamps will work fine!

Never noticed any funny noises, but stringing is a joy. The PU coating allows the strings to weave quickly and easily. These are among my favorites to install because of the fast weaving and pulling. They are soft; so getting them through blocked holes can slow you down a little, but once you've strung a few sets, no problems.

Eug
06-25-2004, 06:19 AM
Very strange. I strung the racquet with windows open near by (Not microsoft windows :) ). It was somewhat humid and warm. Maybe that caused the noises. I weaved the crosses very fast also but fanning the crosses made the noises and had quite a bit of friction. I did have clean clamps before stringing. My machine rocks damn it!

David Valencia
06-25-2004, 06:31 AM
Actually, Supernatural has a wax coating according to Tim Sullivan @ Laserfibre. I always clean my clamps before and after stringing with Supernatural.

Hope this helps.

a verrry large duck
06-25-2004, 10:26 AM
eug:
Anyway, I decided to string it 1 piece and I installed the first 2 mains and was ready to pull. I pulled tension and ......SNAP!. OMG! Nope, the string did not break...ahahhahhaah. Almost had a heart attack. The string slipped out of my clamps.

Your heart most definitely skips a beat when that happens, imagine having that happen with $35 gut in there. When I get like 70 or something I will definitely be no longer stringing racquets for fear of my health.

Eug
06-25-2004, 12:42 PM
Lol @ A verry large duck