PDA

View Full Version : Prince O3 White For Injury Prone Man?...compare To O3 Red?

A-Train
04-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Hi,
Based from people's advice from this board, i am trying to replace my wilson 3.6 (338 SW, 74 Flex, 9.3 oz).

I just couldn't get a a headlight, heavy racquet that feels right for my game.
The 2 that i like are Volkl Cat 4 and Prince O3 Red, they still have high SW (314 & 300) but they are heavier (about 10 oz) and flexible (65 & 67).
I have demoed them for a couple of hours and i'm not sure if they can cause me arm problems in the long run. But, they are really the closest ones that fits to my game. Considering where i came from, i am willing to take the risk.

But, i saw the specs of O3 white it seems more arm friendly. I just can't get a demo racquet in my area. I'm at a point now that i don't want to demo anymore and i'll just buy the O3 red and anything close to it.

How does the white compared to red? The O3 red has a little bit more power for my game so, maybe the white is perfect for me. The problem is, it is only 100 sq in compared to 105. Is that a big diff considering i came from a 115 sq in? Is the power difference significant?

bluegrasser
04-10-2006, 03:04 PM
I've played with the red on and off for over a year and had no arm problems, the white will be less power a little more flex, smaller sweetspot. If you're worried about arm problems, use a softer string like NXT. I use Stamina in my O3 red at 62lbs, not a soft string.

texcoug
04-10-2006, 04:39 PM
I spent a week with the 03 White and own the 03 Red -- I can tell you that when the dust settled, I stuck with the 03 Red. It is particularly good if you play doubles as it is incredible for quick put aways at the net (who cares about touch when you are attacking the net in doubles -- you want a racquet with a crisp response that will put the ball away).

DaVoice
04-10-2006, 06:58 PM
thank you both for your reply. Will get the O3 red and use NXT.
Hopefully, my TE and shoulder will cooperate with it.

slewisoh
04-10-2006, 08:11 PM
The posters here had no trouble with the 03 Red but there have been several threads concerning TE issues relating to the 03 Red. You might want to search old threads.

I did not try the red, based on info read here, but thought the 03 white was great fun to play with. Unfortunately, both wrists (2hand bh) were sore after using it so I kept looking. You might want to do some more looking.

vxb
04-10-2006, 08:18 PM
Had a sore elbow after playing with both red and white.

Final_Match_Point
04-10-2006, 09:22 PM
Stay away from the red. Ive had people get alot of TE near my courts when thery used the red03. It might have to do with the head heavy blaance, but white or the 03 tour seems to be alot easier on your arm

The Ripper
04-10-2006, 09:48 PM
My $.02 worth:

I have owned the Prince O3 Tour, almost bought the O3 Red and recently demoed the O3 White. Naturally the three rackets are rather different: the Tour being the closest to a "player's" frame having the least power, then the O3 White which has slightly more power but better control (IMO) and then the O3 Red which is very light, very fast, very solid, but doesn't have much punch, especially serving, because it is so light.

As far as hurting anyone's arm or shoulder, sorry guys, injuries from serving are (1) poor technique, (2) a racket that is too light. Good technique will allow you to play any racket without hurting yourself. If something is hurting figure out what in your swing is causing the problem. Especially on serve, a light racket forces you to swing faster/harder to get pace on the ball, thus causing injuries unless you have wonderful technique, and even in that case it is probably impossible to get any real "action" or "weight" on the ball with a light racket. A heavier racket forces you to learn proper technique, and will yield a much heavier ball with a lower rackethead speed as well as being much easier on the arm, shoulder, wrist and elbow. I know this is a bit controversial, but FWIW, it has been my experience over the last 4 years of playing with "heavy" rackets vs. the "light" ones.

So, yes, I'm in the camp of "play with the heaviest racket you can handle" (and still have fun) and learn good technique. When you are too old to make a full swing then buy a grampa racket which requires no technique and no strength to hit the ball. As someone said, "too bad Roddick doesn't play with a racket like Federer's [more or less an nCode Tour 90 at about 12.4 oz], his serve would be unreturnable."

If I were you I'd go with the Prince White - I think you'll enjoy playing with it and you'll be able to keep playing with it for quite awhile! Good luck!