PDA

View Full Version : My little Dunlop M-Fil 200 review

LordRaceR
04-10-2006, 03:28 PM
After seeing some recent interest on the forum about M-Fil 200, I have decided to write this review. Hope it will be, at least, little helpful for people that are interested in this racquet. I am 5.5 player, main weapons powerful serve and semi western forehand, powerful but little inconsistent one handed backhand. Of course, can hit flat, topspin, and slice off of both sides, and will mix things up during rallies. Volleys are my weakest side, I like to play them but they are not that good like rest of my game.
For over two and half years I am using Pro Staff Tour90 and just loving it. During that time, for fun, I have tried some new racquets (including n6.1 Tour90 and 95, Pure Drive, AeroPro Drive, O3 Tour, LM Radís and LM Prestigeís) but good old Pro Staff Tour90 still stayed mine no.1 choice. I have pretty much stop with trying different request and new Dunlop M-Fil 200 was last thing I want try. On paper, it has very nice specs and I decided to buy one because demos for Dunlopís are not available over here.

First impression is obviously cool looking paint job, so M-Fil 200 is one of the prettiest and coolest racquets on the market. With mass of 340 grams and high swing weight, in hands M-Fil 200 doesnít feel that heavy and itís pretty maneuverable. With my setup (removed original grip and two overgrips) my Tour90ís and M-Fil 200 weight almost the same, with Tour90 being heaver just for 4 grams. Obviously, leather grip on Tour90 has much more impact on the weight then synthetic grip on M-Fil 200. On both racquets, I used same string combo, with 26/25 kg on M-Fil 200.
From the start of hitting ground strokes, I noticed a little weird and different feel. Stiffer hoop and flexier throat is responsible for that (I used to constant and solid feel from Tour90), so the overall feel from M-Fil 200 is something that I have to accommodate and get used to. On forehand side, I have to adjust my grip a little (a bit more rounded handle then on Wilson) and when I do so, I got pretty good results. On both flatter power and high topspin shots, I was able to generate more power without any lost of control. Beside 18x20 string pattern on M-Fil 200, the spin was very easy to generate, so my shot had more spin and bounce, and I was a little bit surprised by that. This continued on my slice backhand. One of mine specialty shots is slice backhand with lot sidespin and with M-Fil 200, the pace and amount of side was great, more then I can get from Tour90. Because I hit one handed backhand with little falter with smaller amount of spin, the ďmore spinĒ issue was not present here, but more power was definitely here. Much of the power comes from the sheer mass and swing weight M-Fil 200 rather than any "technology", so naturally you do have to take a full swing and rip it. Stability of the M-Fil 200 is great, so during high power shots rallies M-Fil 200 remained stable and offered solid feel with good control, but Tour90 offer a little more overall stability.
With volleys being my weakest side, I was expecting some help from M-Fil 200. And I got it. Volleying with M-Fil 200 was great and with good maneuverability and balance made it little easer to play compared with Tour90. Accurate, powerful and nice was my impressions of hitting volleys with M-Fil 200.
On serve, I found that I can generate pretty much the same amount of pace with M-Fil 200 and Tour90. Only slice serves had a little more bite and kick with M-Fil 200, but with Tour90 I could hit more consistent both first and second serves, and I feel more comfortable with Tour90. Being more maneuverable is a bit easier to hit more aggressive returns with M-Fil 200, but I must say that with Tour90 I get a bit more solid feel and stability.
Overall, M-Fil 200 is really great racquet and I like it a lot. On bottom line, I was searching a little more power on clay (99% of time I play on clay courts) without any lost of control, and M-Fil 200 offered me just that. Only flaw is the feeling of M-Fil 200, where Tour90 is much better with nice, crisp and classic prostaff feel. But comparing it with LM Prestige I personally think that M-Fil 200 has much better feel, and better feel then most new racquets I tried. Unfortunately, M-Fil 200 is most underrated racquet, but if any one who wants good, solid and serious players must take M-Fil 200 for demo. At end, if we consider the price, M-Fil 200 is definitely best buy new model players racquet on the market.

donnyz89
04-10-2006, 04:40 PM
Um... here are my 2 cents on the M-Fil 200

It feels very heavy from the start. Powerwise, there isnt much power from this frame. Its very stable, but you really need to generate your own power. It swings very heavy for my taste... I'm sure some people might not mind. But from the frames I've hit with, this was one of the heavier swinging frames. The close string pattern and flexy frame gave pretty good feel and control, but again... power is limited. Serving was tough for sure because of the swinging weight.

I think its a pretty demanding racquet for me. I currently play with the Tour Diablo MP, slightly lighter but very easy to swing.

All in all, M-fil 200 has all the player's racquet qualities but if you are considering a tweener, this is not it. Those looking for a control oriented racquet, check this out.

prestige18
04-10-2006, 05:54 PM
i play lm prestige mp and my friend plays with the mfil. one day we switched racquets for a match and at the end i was eager to switch back but he said he would gladly trade racquets for good. bottom line the lm prestige mp has better feel, more control and a lot of power when u need it. whereas the mfil has too much pop and not enough control. i over hit a lot of shots that i normally wouldnt have overhit. i would suggest the mfil if someone needs a racquet to use in between the stages of pure drive and prestige.

tennis_nerd22
04-10-2006, 06:21 PM
now if it only it was lighter by a couple of ounces... :)

PM_
04-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Here's my review: nearly tore my f---ing arm off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vkartikv
04-10-2006, 07:59 PM
Here's my review: nearly tore my f--ing arm off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom Cruise to PM, " Help me help you find the best racquet"

Aeropro joe
04-10-2006, 10:17 PM
my mfil is easier to swing for groundstrokes, but my prestige gets better serves and volleys. i dont like the weird round grip shape, it feels like im holding a flashlight and lose control of the racket, but i added two strips of electrical tape to the top and bottom bevels and this helped out a lot.

louis netman
04-10-2006, 11:01 PM
it feels like im holding a flashlight and lose control of the racket,

A flashlight... that's funny :-)

astra
04-10-2006, 11:27 PM
i play lm prestige mp and my friend plays with the mfil. one day we switched racquets for a match and at the end i was eager to switch back but he said he would gladly trade racquets for good. bottom line the lm prestige mp has better feel, more control and a lot of power when u need it. whereas the mfil has too much pop and not enough control. i over hit a lot of shots that i normally wouldnt have overhit. i would suggest the mfil if someone needs a racquet to use in between the stages of pure drive and prestige.
I sign this.

KFwinds
04-10-2006, 11:29 PM
Just sold my M-Fil 200; while it was a nice feeling, solid hitting stick, it was also easily one of the top 5 heaviest swinging racquets I've hit with. Couldn't get enough head speed for serves and overheads. Often late on groundies. Definitely not for my game.