PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on Head Classic Tour (102")

Zverev
04-10-2006, 04:07 PM
Anyone has played with this racquet?

Hopefully someone did, because according to the search on the boards,
everyone played with PC600, and nobody with Classic Tour MP (102").

Why do they still manufacture it, or it's an old 5-6 years old stock?

TheRed
04-10-2006, 05:16 PM
Yes, I play with it. Good solid feel, flexible but similar to it's smaller brother, the classic mid, it plays fairly crisp. The LM prestige plays too mushy for my liking. Sweetspot is large but this is not a powerful racquet. Quite an interesting combination of sweetspot and low power. Spin production is not difficult. This racquet won't hurt your serves but it won't necessarily give it a lot of speed. on the plus side, my kick serves go from 4-6 ft to about 5-7 ft when using this racquet. Groundstrokes are predictable and quite pleasant to hit with because of the generous sweetspot. I had some trepidation about using a 102 in racquet as a serve and volleyer but I haven't lost any control with this racquet. I'm a 5.0 player.

Zverev
04-10-2006, 06:07 PM
Thanks a lot for this feedback.
It's about a week I am trying to get any feed back from this board on the racquet, but in vain. So it's much appreciated.

I don't really inderstand why it's lower powered stick, as it's got 102 head size and relatively high swingweight. And stiffness is 61 which is not low by the standards of the sticks I am playing with (PS7.1 -58, Cat 10 - 59, MP Tour 5 - 58, HM 200g - 60).
I am currently playing with 7.1 and looking for a bit more power from the racquet than 7.1 can provide. The reason is that I want to use a bit stiffer and more durable strings and 7.1 plays well for me only with powerful multies which I constantly break.
So will Classic Tour be the one I am looking for?
Someone mentioned that it's lower powered than Slaz Pro X1, would that be true?
Also where does that crisp feel you mentioned come from?
The stick is heavy and flexy, the feel should "buttery" not crisp?

TheRed
04-10-2006, 09:11 PM
How one describes feel is very subjective. This racquet can easily be described as buttery but I called it crisp because I was comparing it to racquets like the LM prestige or a MW 200g. Essentially, what I'm saying is that, this racquet gives better feedback than LM prestige.

This racquet will give you more power than your 7.1. I've played with the 7.1 and found it too low powered and unstable. The Classic Tour MP doesn't have this problem. As for it being lower powered than the Slaz, that would likely be true because the Slaz is stiffer.

Zverev
04-10-2006, 09:57 PM
How one describes feel is very subjective. This racquet can easily be described as buttery but I called it crisp because I was comparing it to racquets like the LM prestige or a MW 200g. Essentially, what I'm saying is that, this racquet gives better feedback than LM prestige.
Makes sense.

This racquet will give you more power than your 7.1. I've played with the 7.1 and found it too low powered and unstable. The Classic Tour MP doesn't have this problem. As for it being lower powered than the Slaz, that would likely be true because the Slaz is stiffer.
I have made calculation of power for both racquets
(Headsize X LengthIndex X Flex X Swinweight)/1000 and got
1921 for Slazenger
2090 for Classic Tour MP

What strings and tensions do you use?

louis netman
04-10-2006, 10:57 PM
Makes sense.

I have made calculation of power for both racquets
(Headsize X LengthIndex X Flex X Swinweight)/1000 and got
1921 for Slazenger
2090 for Classic Tour MP

What strings and tensions do you use?

One of the factors that is not accounted for in terms of power is string pattern. USRSA does not incorporate this factor into their equation. The Slaz X1 has a 16 x 18 pattern whereas the 102" head has 18x20, if I'm correct...
Although not officially published, IMO it is a factor to be considered in the power equation...

This is why open patterns tend to stick volleys better than denser patterns. Being a lower swingspeed shot, an open pattern will inherently produce more velocity than a denser pattern...

Zverev
04-10-2006, 11:38 PM
...This is why open patterns tend to stick volleys better than denser patterns. Being a lower swingspeed shot, an open pattern will inherently produce more velocity than a denser pattern...
I guess so. But I enjoy volleying with denser pattern more anyway.
Just feel more controllable to me.
BTW Classic Tour 102 is 18x19 - a bit unusual.

Zverev
04-12-2006, 06:03 PM
Anyone else has played with racquet - how would it compare to LM Prestige?

dennis1188
04-13-2006, 03:59 AM
Suggest u more carefully search the previous posts. Lots of info for head classic midplus and prestige tour 660, there if u look.

Zverev
04-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Suggest u more carefully search the previous posts. Lots of info for head classic midplus and prestige tour 660, there if u look.
No, not much at all on this specific racquet, currently sold by TW under the name of Head Classic Tour 102".
There is lots for Prestiges and for smaller head sizes, some comparisons between Tour and Classic, Trisys and PTs and PC - basicly total jungle.
It looks like there is not much interest in the current Head Classic Tour 102 at all, and very few are playing with it.
Still waiting for feedback from those few... Thanks

dennis1188
04-16-2006, 12:02 AM
No, not much at all on this specific racquet, currently sold by TW under the name of Head Classic Tour 102".
There is lots for Prestiges and for smaller head sizes, some comparisons between Tour and Classic, Trisys and PTs and PC - basicly total jungle.
It looks like there is not much interest in the current Head Classic Tour 102 at all, and very few are playing with it.
Still waiting for feedback from those few... Thanks
The correct name for this racket is head classic midplus (102sqin)pls. look at the name on the close-up TW racket photo/image, also sold in non usa markets as the prestige tour 660 w/ suspension grip (i own both variations). Both discussed previously. http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=34225

Zverev
04-17-2006, 06:19 AM
The correct name for this racket is head classic midplus (102sqin)pls. look at the name on the close-up TW racket photo/image, also sold in non usa markets as the prestige tour 660 w/ suspension grip (i own both variations). Both discussed previously. http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=34225
Thanks for the link.
Funny how the thread was picked up 2 years after the first post.

tarheelbornjohn
04-17-2006, 07:12 AM
I got one about a month ago at the same time I got the Prestige FXP MP. I have been using the LM MP for two years. I have to say that all three of these sticks are good ones. I still go to the LM MP during match play, but have use the Classic MP for doubles play and the FXP for heavy hitting on the ball machine and singles play. I will settle down to one of these sticks soon. The LM is going to be hard to part with, but they are getting long in the tooth (the two I have used excessively) and wanted to try out other things.

The Tour Classic MP has more pop and is a little more firm compared to my well used LM MP and the FXP MP is the most stiff.

Hicham
04-17-2006, 08:55 AM
Hi,

I currently play with the Prestige Tour 600 with suspension grip. Best racquet ever !

Before I accidentally bumped into this racquet, I was using an N6.1 95 18x20 and let me tell you one thing.....it feels like a frying pan compared with PT 600.

My next step now (on the advice on some knowledgeable Prestige board members) is put some gut in and let it rip....I play with fairly loose tensions (50/48 lbs or 23/22 kg).

If you get a chance to, I'd suggest you give it a try....So far, I've played my best tennis with this stick....

Here's some pics as to what mine looks like:

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/509/dsc001841bi.jpg

http://img438.imageshack.us/img438/5678/dsc001822ch.jpg

http://img429.imageshack.us/img429/8360/dsc001818dk.jpg

I also have the Prestige Classic 600 but I prefer the tour version....

Zverev
04-17-2006, 05:07 PM
Thanks for all the feedbacks, no more is needed (especially negative ones),
because I have already put an order for this one here at TW.
Will provide feedback myself in the couple of weeks when CT 660 arrives.
I hope it will be good replacement of my PS Zone 7.1 for doubles.

Zverev
04-25-2006, 03:46 PM
Had a two hours hit with my new Classic Tour strung with Head FXP 17g at 58.
It has arrived 354g (12.5) in weight, 0.4 above the listed weight.
Put overgrip, dampener - now it's 364g (12.85 ounces). and that's too much for my liking. I prefer it around 355 gramms.

Swings very heavy - so heavy that I got tired from swinging the racquet - rare thing as I play wit relatively heavy racquets.
Power level is very low - lower than my PS 7.1 - which is very suprising.

One department where I liked it is serve - lots of power, lots of kick.
I have no idea how this is possible but that's true.
My serves were best with it, and very good placement - first time I have knocked down all my cones in one practice :-)

Backhand slice is very good - stays low and penetrating, as they say.
Volleys are nice too, as racquet has good stability.

Basically, it's tough choice - the stick sucks in forehand department - I don't seem to be able to hit many winers - not much power.
Maybe I should try to lower the tension?

dennis1188
04-25-2006, 03:53 PM
I string both my classic mp 102" and the prestige tour 660, w/ 16g prince lightning @+68lbs (this is a very string&tension sensitive racket), excellent topspin forehand and both kick, flat serves. IMO easier to swing w/ than the prestige 600.BTW is yr racket actually labelled 'Classic Tour' or 'Classic MidPlus'.

Zverev
04-25-2006, 05:57 PM
I string both my classic mp 102" and the prestige tour 660, w/ 16g prince lightning @+68lbs (this is a very string&tension sensitive racket), excellent topspin forehand and both kick, flat serves. IMO easier to swing w/ than the prestige 600.BTW is yr racket actually labelled 'Classic Tour' or 'Classic MidPlus'.
Wow! 68lbs? I was hoping that I can get tension down and get more pop from that.
I don't have it near me at the moment but I am pretty sure it's labelled "Classic Midplus". Is it good or bad?
What is the weights of yours?

dennis1188
04-25-2006, 07:58 PM
'Head classic midplus', as told u previously, is correct label for the 660 (102") sold in the USA. The prestige tour 660, is the non-usa market model of this racket (w/suspension handle). IMO the 660 is slightly lighter, as it doesn't hv the solid handle. I play regularly w/both versions/ rackets. I like 'heavier' rackets (mine r modified to approx 11.8 ozs). IMO the head classic mp 102', racket plays closer to my POG OS, than my prestige classic 600 (made in austria).
BTW plenty pop w/ the prince lightning. cheers.

Zverev
04-25-2006, 08:30 PM
....I like 'heavier' rackets (mine r modified to approx 11.8 ozs). .....
it's 12.3 oz stock - how did yop make it lighter, 11.8ozs?
Mine with overgrip and dampener is close to 12.9 ozs.

dennis1188
04-26-2006, 01:23 AM
ok, i just weighed both(w/digital scale). The unmodified prestige tour 660, 4 3/8, strung and w/ additional syn. grip is 12.8 oz. The lead weighted/modified classic midplus (102") 4 1/2, strung and w/ additional syn. grip, is 12.5 oz. For additional reference my strung, unmodified size 4 3/8, head prestige classic (600cm made in austria) weighs 13.2 oz. IMO both the 102sqin and the 660cm rackets r easier to swing (than the pc600) as the balance midpoint is lower towards the handle.BTW my current normal playing racket is lead wt./modified POG LB 100sqin, 4 5/8 grip weighs 13.3oz

Zverev
04-26-2006, 01:58 AM
ok, i just weighed both(w/digital scale). The unmodified prestige tour 660, 4 3/8, strung and w/ additional syn. grip is 12.8 oz. The lead weighted/modified classic midplus (102") 4 1/2, strung and w/ additional syn. grip, is 12.5 oz. For additional reference my strung, unmodified size 4 3/8, head prestige classic (600cm made in austria) weighs 13.2 oz. IMO both the 102sqin and the 660cm rackets r easier to swing (than the pc600) as the balance midpoint is lower towards the handle.BTW my current normal playing racket is lead wt./modified POG LB 100sqin, 4 5/8 grip weighs 13.3oz
Hey, much appreciate that.

Almost forgotten to mention, my Classic Midplus 102 had SG-Suspension Grip sticker on the handle wrapping.
Though TW states that it doesn't have supension grip (actually I have no idea what suspension grip is). So the sticker might be there by mistake.
I don't really care about that grip anyway, I just need to take off 10 gramms of weight somehow. Tomorrow I will take it to doubles - that will be good test for my handling of that swingweight.
Happy hitting!

Duzza
04-26-2006, 02:20 AM
i really just dont like it because of the headsize, its disgraceful. the 93 prestige is a much better racquet anyway

TheRed
04-26-2006, 12:40 PM
what's so "disgraceful" about a larger head? The 93 prestige is different but not better. Agassi uses an even larger headsize racquet but I don't find his game or him very disgraceful

Zverev
04-27-2006, 03:31 PM
All right, played couple of sets of doubles with it.
The verdict: will pass on it next time.

As usually, CT Midplus excells at serving, everything is just going in at very nice speed and spin - brilliant.
Very good at returning - the racquet is very stable - well it's heavy and there is no substitute for weight I believe.
I have sort of tuned myself into groundstrokes a bit more so it was tolerable but not outstanding.
First volleys worked fine as well - it's stable and has good punch

The trouble I had was at the net - the swingweight is just horrendous - I believe it's somewhere close to 400.
I have been late numerous times - with this racquet you can poach only snails - then you can crush them into wet spot.
Reaction volley - you must be joking - the ball would have already bounced into the fence when you set up the monster.

I am not sure how to fix this thing and at least save some of my money.
Maybe I will take off that bumper guard and if that doesn't help enough, I think, I will strip some of that nice quality, made in Austria, paint. At least from the top.

Richie Rich
04-27-2006, 03:38 PM
i have heard that the PC 660 had a weak upper hoop resulting in racquet deformation after a while or with high tension. can anyone of the people that have used the racquet for a few years (or months) comment?

dennis1188
04-28-2006, 06:28 AM
I am not sure how to fix this thing and at least save some of my money.
Maybe I will take off that bumper guard and if that doesn't help enough, I think, I will strip some of that nice quality, made in Austria, paint. At least from the top.[/QUOTE]

Ouch! Are u sure? Maybe, sell it is better.

BTW mine strung at high tension, so far both approx. 18 months, ok. cheers.