PDA

View Full Version : Is it bad for your arm to get one grip size bigger?

EclipseRydr97
04-10-2006, 06:32 PM
As title says, is that bad for you in any way that I should be aware of? I'm a 4 1/2, but these rackets I got are 4 5/8 because it was too good a deal to pass up and I can't seem to find any 4 1/2's in this racket because it's a discontinued model...any thoughts or comments?

d_frank
04-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Probably wont hurt you, but if you do feel discomfort, stop right away.
chances are slim that 1 grip size will hurt you though.

goosala
04-10-2006, 08:28 PM
According to the prescribed measuring method I am a 4 1/2 grip size but I for some reason like 4 5/8. It feels more solid to me and does not slip in my hand. I grew up being told by Tennis Magazine that you should use the largest grip size that is comfortable for you because it allows for more power. Go figure.

In D Zone
04-10-2006, 08:38 PM
It all depends on the type of grip and on how to felt after playing. Ideally it is advisable to move up because you can easily add sleeves. I have noticed some racquet comes with a thinner grip so I had to get a thicker overgrip just to get the right feel for playing.

The only down side I know is that you may tire quickly because you hand is trying to compensate for holding on the a larger handle, more evident when you are hitting a topspin or volleys. Now if you experince soreness or pain - you should stop playing.

Hope this help. Good Luck

astra
04-10-2006, 10:16 PM
I think it is possible to get use to. As far as arm safety, it seems to me that smaller grip is worse than a bigger one. If I evaluate Wilson grips (Head is smaller) - 41/4 not acceptable for me, 41/2 perfect, 45/8 possible to play with. With time, wearing and some "settlement", the grip will even get smaller.
Good luck.

Buzzlightyear
04-10-2006, 10:47 PM
I think plus or minus one grip size is not going to hurt you. Using too large a grip size may cause fatigue because you are prone to squeezing the racquet, but I just don't think it gonna cause injury.

tonyjh63
04-11-2006, 06:25 PM
Didn't the old wooden racquets come with much bigger grip sizes than are available today? Like 5 1/4 and even larger?

TacoTims
04-11-2006, 11:32 PM
dont use overgrip :)