PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone really notice a difference....

martymule
04-11-2006, 06:57 AM
of racquet length in it's overall playability? I currently use a 27.25" racquet and I'm thinking of changing. The one I'm looking at (Diablo XP) is 27.5". I've hit with it once and I didn't really think that I noticed too much of a diffenerence based on length. Does anyone else really notice a difference in playablilty in adding or subtracting a 1/4" in their racquet's length?

Alafter
04-11-2006, 05:34 PM
I definitely dont.

travlerajm
04-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Racquet length makes a huge difference on the serve. To see how much difference it makes, try choking up 1/2 inch and hitting serves. It will feel like you're playing with a completely different racquet - length affects the control level, the powel level, and the spin level dramatically on the the serve. The groundies and volleys are affected by length to a lesser degree because the strokes generally involve less angular rotation than the serve.

Because length makes a difference, racquet manufacturers usually attempt to compensate for the length effect by adjusting the weight distribution so that the swingweight stays the same. In other words, they need to remove weight from the head in order to make it longer while maintaining the same feel.

snoflewis
04-11-2006, 07:44 PM
to some it does, to others it doesnt....

PrestigeClassic
04-12-2006, 11:16 AM
I notice a huge difference in 1/4". All things considered, adding that much length will provide for more spin, more depth, more angles, more power. It does make the frame harder to get around on serves, return of serves, and some other shots. Then again, a higher swingweight (like most extended frames have) will do that. You will need to change your timing. An extended frame with a swingweight equal to a standard-length frame will mean that the extended frame will probably be lighter and/or more head-light--for some players, the net result is good, for others bad.