PDA

View Full Version : Need feedback regarding Wilson ball machine

wfudeac
04-11-2006, 08:41 AM
I am leaning towards the Wilson ball machine, because it has more features than the ProLite but only a little more expensive than the Tennis Tutor that doesnt have spin. 75 mph seems like plenty for me, and the spin would be realyl useful in getting to hit different types of balls. One concern came from an earlier review that the oscillator hit too wide, and that it was hard to carry. I thought the Wilson was basically built with the same body as the Tennis Tutor?

I can't justify spending 949 for a Tennis Tutor with no spin if I can get the Wilson with spin for 995!! Thanks for any input, this is a big decision!

splink779
04-15-2006, 04:15 PM
I would also like to know.

Clive Walker
04-16-2006, 12:26 PM
The Wilson machine doesn't add huge amounts of topspin/slice- the balls kind of meander round through the air rather than spin. Adding spin also slows down the speed at which the balls fly at you.

msn
04-21-2006, 09:40 PM
I have the 2-line remote. I probably wouldn't buy it again.

Pros:

very sturdy, reliable.
highly adjustable

Cons:

poor handle (doesn't extend)
using spin reduces speed a lot
flimsy plastic top used for balls
remote range doesn't quite go full court length.

andyroddick's mojo
04-22-2006, 12:02 AM
so would having a ball machine that just hits flat fast balls, be better then one with spin? Do you think practicing with spin is more beneficial then practicing with a faster flat ball?

The Pusher Terminator
04-22-2006, 11:34 AM
I am leaning towards the Wilson ball machine, because it has more features than the ProLite but only a little more expensive than the Tennis Tutor that doesnt have spin. 75 mph seems like plenty for me, and the spin would be realyl useful in getting to hit different types of balls. One concern came from an earlier review that the oscillator hit too wide, and that it was hard to carry. I thought the Wilson was basically built with the same body as the Tennis Tutor?

I can't justify spending 949 for a Tennis Tutor with no spin if I can get the Wilson with spin for 995!! Thanks for any input, this is a big decision!

Its not really a Wilson machine!! Its a tennis tutor. Buy the other Tennis tutor machine with the spin feature...it better . I actually bought just the regular tennis tutor with no spin. It is awesome...its tiny and has a bar that folds out so you roll it just like luggage. The spin feature is overated......just get the regular tennistutor as its soooo easy to lug around compared to the hefty "Wilson".

louis netman
04-24-2006, 11:36 PM
so would having a ball machine that just hits flat fast balls, be better then one with spin? Do you think practicing with spin is more beneficial then practicing with a faster flat ball?

What are the chances of you meeting an opponent who hits with spin?

pmata814
04-25-2006, 01:46 AM

I own the wilson 2-line. It is true that the angle on the oscillator is too wide but I don't find it hard to carry. I really enjoy the spin feature and besides... you can't use high speeds without topsin or else the ball flies off the court.

wfudeac
04-25-2006, 06:42 AM
After having the Wilson machine for a few days, I really have enjoyed it. I wish I had the money to get the two-line option but I just got the base model. The oscillator works best when you have two people, but it's hard positioning it exactly in the center, so both players get roughly the same amount of balls hit to them. Any ideas on how to line it up properly?

I haven't played around with the spin feature too much, I did try cranking the topspin and speed all the way up, and the ball didn't shoot very far into the court. I'll have to play around with it some more.

How is it with overheads? Haven't tried to make it feed lobs yet.

Also, since the bucket holds 110 balls and my hopper only holds about 75, I have to carry the rest in a small box. What do you all use to carry around your practice balls?

splink779
04-25-2006, 07:10 PM
After having the Wilson machine for a few days, I really have enjoyed it. I wish I had the money to get the two-line option but I just got the base model. The oscillator works best when you have two people, but it's hard positioning it exactly in the center, so both players get roughly the same amount of balls hit to them. Any ideas on how to line it up properly?

I haven't played around with the spin feature too much, I did try cranking the topspin and speed all the way up, and the ball didn't shoot very far into the court. I'll have to play around with it some more.

How is it with overheads? Haven't tried to make it feed lobs yet.

Also, since the bucket holds 110 balls and my hopper only holds about 75, I have to carry the rest in a small box. What do you all use to carry around your practice balls?

Have you thought of using just 75 balls?